Necro vs Conj

Discussion in 'General Mage Discussion' started by ARCHIVED-Bethany, Jul 23, 2010.

1. ARCHIVED-Bethany Guest

Whats the difference between these two at endgame? I'm solo leveling now but I would like to raid/instance at 90, which do raid guilds prefer more and why?

Thanks!
  2. ARCHIVED-Alfeo Guest

Speaking as a raiding conjuror in a guild that utilizes both summoners, this is how I see it.
    Both are seeing more use in high end guilds now than in the previous two expansions with some guilds even having one of each. They are both dps classes in end game and with the exception of elemental toxicity, their utility is seen as decently okay but not essential for a raid's success. Elemental Toxicity, which is accessible to both, is really the only utility we have that other mages might envy us for due to it's potential to help your group do massive damage in ae encounters.
    Conjurors are generally more AE centric and pet oriented, with alot of their damage due to temp buffs for the pet and spells that they cast but the pet executes. You generally prefer pet gear more if you have to choose between buffing yourself or your pet but you still want some balance. Conjuror only utility is a little more defensive, a few nice things, probably a better overall utility package than necros but no one brings a summoner for utility alone so its not really a make or break point.
    Necromancers do more damage through themselves than the pet and while some pet gear is nice, you don't get pet buffs if it sacrifices personal dps. Alot of their nice spells have a percentage health cost associated with them, and you are dependent on having a competent healer nearby (mystic preferribly for bolster) to maximize your lifeburn spell. Not as ae centric as conjurors but their sustained single target damage is very nice. Their utility is somewhat offensive, stat buffs which are nice, but its nowhere near chanter utility and isn't gonna get you in any self-respecting guild on it's own.

So basically, our job is to dps and both classes can dps decently well in both ae/single target situations. I'd say in terms of longer fights and sustained zws they are on mostly even ground. A highly skilled necro or conjuror will outparse an average one in all situations. Both are capable of at least 40-50ishk+ in long fights when properly supported by their raid and have decent gear. Sorcerers/Assassins with equal skill might prove significant competition but in most cases you shouldn't fall too far behind. Basically choose the one you like the most thematically, research and test and play the hell out of it and you should be able to find a guild when that (sometimes rare) summoner opening appears.
  3. ARCHIVED-Bethany Guest

Thanks for the response Alfeo, I think i'll be sticking with the Conj since he's higher level, and go back and finish the Necro later.