Necro PG rating

Discussion in 'Mages' started by captainbeatty451, May 22, 2017.

1. captainbeatty451 Well-Known Member

Well, let's face it. If you know me in game, you know I'm not rated PG unless you have your censorship chat equipped. But to the point, where are necromancers finding success in the Proving Grounds as far as AA go or skills that actually seem to work well?

You can check out my proving grounds AA setup from my link below. I think I did a decent job of getting the most out of my intelligence, stamina, potency, and ability mod, along with trying to boost our group healing and also my personal debuffs--which of course means staying with disease damage even if going etherealist for the currently OP implosion. The level 10 buff only gives like 2 potency from what I saw, so it's not a huge deal to not have you ascension buff activated--but once implosion is taken down to earth, I'll probably go back to thaum and get those potency points back. My proving ground stats are abysmal even compared to other classes in there. My potency is like 23, though I have decent ab mod at over 500. HP is like 500k.

One thing I'm going to change about my proving build is I'm NOT going to dual convert. I will put the stats towards potency only. I just haven't done this yet. I would love to try out graverot in there, because reuse on rotflesh feels very sluggish, and graverot seems like it would be better aoe, but I would need to see the potency difference in that build. Also, you'd lose the ability to self revive, which is of course often useful. But I'd be willing to check it out if graverot actually hurts things quickly in there.

So far, I'm not happy with how a necro performs in the PG. My normal necromancer skills seem to do nothing to the mobs. Bloodcoil and soulrot feel awful, whereas in normal situations heroic mobs melt when i start casting on them along with my pet fighting. I THINK our swarm pets hit hard, but it's very hard to tell.

Anyway, my experience has shown that the only thing that seems to actually hit hard are my ascensions. Compare this to a few other classes I have seen who actually eat chunks of HP from the bosses, and I'm unhappy with necro performance in there.

If you have any advice or would like to share experiences, then this would be a great place for it.
  2. Melt Actually plays the game

Remember when you tripled my wizards dps
  3. captainbeatty451 Well-Known Member

Well I wasn't able to see numbers, so I don't know about tripled. I remember that we tested and my mob died faster. However, the main point here is not that I feel that I stink in PG, since I've run groups with various dps setups, and they always seem to be about the same in terms of how long the boss takes to die--given we're communicating and using the known PG strategies for faster success.

But, I just want to build a conversation to see if anyone has found anything that works particularly well on the specific to necros side of things, since to me, PG just feels very sluggish on a necro--and I've seen classes that are certainly a LOT stronger. It's a different mindset you need to bring in there as far as building the character goes.

Oh, and just a general tip for everyone, I did test the cloak thing, and the TS cloak gives no stats. So you do lose intelligence and stamina if you don't swap your cloak out. This, along with AA tips is the type of discussion I'm looking to create.
  4. Melt Actually plays the game

I think that simply based off of the nature of the current PG that necros are not in an amazing spot, simply because the current one is AOE based. I think in Felwithe you did fine, but because of the way stats work necros are a bit behind because of their lower base damage, meaning they need more stats to start to shine. I think if they drop the reductions in AA just a bit necros will be in a much better spot. Even 50 potency will make a difference.
  5. captainbeatty451 Well-Known Member

That's a really good point and why I was thinking about trying graverot. Since many necro skills don't hit hard but hit often instead, it might be good to have more chances to have more dots ticking all the time. Also, a scout I was with was saying he has 8 fervor in there on top of 10 more potency than I had. I'm at 0 fervor. So that right there demonstrates a lack of balance with classes able to damage things similarly to each other. Obviously a class that can get 8 fervor AND 10 more potency is going to hit harder, especially when the skills themselves are built to be hard hitting and not damage over time.

But, I'm not necessarily asking for necro to be fixed. Just looking to see what others have found success with. For example, has anyone tried graverot spec yet? I haven't had a chance and will not probably get to play much in the PG this week. Also, what is the PG potency difference from a non dual converted rot flesh build compared to a full right side graverot?

Are other necromancers also at 23 potency and 500 ab mod in there? If not, use some of my suggestions to get there. If you are over, what have you done to get higher? I feel these are good things to talk about.
  6. captainbeatty451 Well-Known Member

Well as far as getting more potency goes, I tried a full right side graverot build to test and see if the conversion made any difference. Going from dual spec to crit bonus spec did nothing I could notice. Was still in the 20s for potency. I wasn't able to try a full left side build, but I'm guessing it's not much at all. I still want to try using graverot in there, because on paper, graverot has always been the better looking spec, even though in practice it currently just doesn't hold up to the dual spec or 3 bubble rot flesh build. I just feel that with the slower reuse speeds and low damage of our non ascension spells, it may be cool to have something constantly with the chance of adding extra damage to our attacks. If i'm ever able to get in there again any time soon, I'll let people know if it feels better or not. Probably doesn't matter much overall. But hey, anything to make these things more fun.

I did try to get a group going yesterday, but even with a healer and troub, we just couldn't fill a group from the lobby. Hopefully that gets better once we have an unbroken pg.