Necro or Wiz?

Discussion in 'General Mage Discussion' started by ARCHIVED-Mosha D'Khan, Mar 22, 2010.

1. ARCHIVED-Mosha D'Khan Guest

k i have finaly gotten my bruiser to 90 with 240AA and was now wonder which to start getting lvl up. i have a necro lvl 80 with 168AA and his epic, and i have a 81 wiz with like 150AA. which one is the better solo/group class and why? i raid on my bruiser so dont plan on raiding on either of these toons atm, but i would like to hear for the mage community since i have not played either toon for some time now (bro got wiz to 81 through BG lol)
  2. ARCHIVED-EvilAstroboy Guest

Wizards do everything better than Necromancers. If you betray that Necro to a Conjurer it might be useful.
  3. ARCHIVED-Xalmat Guest

Necros are pretty awesome DPS when played right, and are vastly better soloers to boot.
  4. ARCHIVED-Draagun Guest

As a necro, you will have to work 2x as hard to get half as far as a wiz DPS wise.
  5. ARCHIVED-Vanilla1 Guest

Or ...
    You can stop worrying about parses, and just have fun with a great class that can Uber solo... and has alot of fun stuff like Feign Death , Tainted Heals, and cool looking pets....
    I say .... NECRO ...ftw!
  6. ARCHIVED-Draagun Guest

Parses are important to me (and lots of other people). Lots of people dont play the game that way and there is nothing wrong with that. If you care about DPS.. see above.
    "Necros are pretty awesome DPS when played right" - Should read "Necros are pretty awesome DPS when GEARED right and have over 212AAs"
  7. ARCHIVED-Minraja Guest

Draagun wrote:
    I won't deny that gear plays a bigger factor then what some may lead on. But a necro that doesn't know WTH s/he is doing won't parse no matter what gear s/he has....fact.
  8. ARCHIVED-Garlin1 Guest

Learn the class and necro will be great. I out parse wizards with ease all the time. It comes down to skill and sadly equipment will play a huge part.
  9. ARCHIVED-Draagun Guest

I have played a necro since launch (with huge breaks in playtime, admittedly). I played a necro in eq1 since that game launched.
    I am, right now, at 90 playing a necro and it is the easiest thing in the world.
    When I first hit 90 I had crap gear, little AAs and my parses showed. I would parse about 4-5k at 90. Now, with a little gear and AAs and masterspells I parse about 10kzw and have hit 25k and would do more if I had "premium" support. If I had better gear, I would parse even higher.
    Point being, I didnt suddenly become some awesome necromancer by taking necromancing lessons. I do more damage because of my gear, AAs, and spells.
    Skill has very little to almost nothing to do with it. You could put me on the best parsing necro and the worst parsing necros account and I would be parsing the same as them.

If you put me on a Wiz account, I would do the same DPS as them within a few hours.

There are only so many ways to hit the buttons. Let's not try to make eq2 to be some sorta super hard super skilled game that only the most dexterous of Koreans can play. Your DPS is about gear, AAs, and master spells and the class you play. An equally geared wiz is gonna outparse a necro every single time unless he is sleeping - and even then, if his face happens to hit the right button when it slams into the keyboard, he still might outparse a necro.
  10. ARCHIVED-Minraja Guest

Draagun wrote:
    You sir/ma'am are wrong...
    If you can't figure out why, then there is no helping you. There is a lot more involved then just gear and AAs. I digress, you are welcome to believe what you want.
  11. ARCHIVED-Garlin1 Guest

Tons more then gear and AA, skill does play a huge factor for a necro, hell for any class at that.
  12. ARCHIVED-Taemien Guest

I can definately say my necromancer does take more skill then what some indicate. There is still an optimal rotation you want to use, but its not super hard to figure out or takes inane amounts of dexterity to pull off. Just paying attention, reading what cooldowns there is and cast times, and above all, getting a feel for it. That last part no guide will tell you how to do, only experience.
    The necromancer is one of those classes you have to get down and dirty with to figure out how to play well. Though that learning process alone is a blast to play and learn.
  13. ARCHIVED-Draagun Guest

Drazala@Lucan DLere wrote:
    What part did I say was wrong?
    Gear+AAs+spellsand group buffs) = DPS.
    A naked Necro will never, never, never EVER out parse me.
    A Necro with less AAs (no endlines) will never, never, never EVER out parse me.
    A Necro that does not have master spells will never, never, never EVER out parse me.
    A duplicate necro of me will not out parse me by any significant amount. Ever. -- and this one, I can prove, because I spend a lot of time with training dummies. There is no "super secret" order of spells that is going to make my necro hit 20k. - but with some better gear i would hit 20k easy.

So, what part am I wrong about agian?
  14. ARCHIVED-Minraja Guest

Gods I hope a naked person of any class can't beat you on a parse...though I'm not sure where in my post said that they could.

"There is no "super secret" order of spells that is going to make my necro hit 20k."

This is kind of mind set is where you are wrong. The fact that you are so arrogant as to think that there isn't a better or more efficient casting order alone tells me you don't have a clue about our class. There is always room for improvement. Giving up like you have because you think a t1 dps is automatic win on the parse is sad imo. I have beaten many t1 dps zw that has equal gear without lifeburning. And before you say anything about buffs. The buffs are generally equal. Though sometimes I am put at a disadvantage due to the summoner hate stigma.That is the difference from a good summoner vs everyone else. There is a specific casting order to each situation. Knowing when and what spells to cue up when certain buffs are running and whether or not if the encounter has multiple targets changes things by alot.

My free advice to you is read up on the conjuror and necro forums on flames.
  15. ARCHIVED-Draagun Guest

lol.

I top the parse plenty vs. t1 - they always have horrible gear/poor spells / little AA's or are eating a bag of chips.

I have been beaten on the parse plenty by non-T1 dps that have great gear and more AAs

Reading your posts makes me realize that I am dealing with someone that has no idea what this game is about.
  16. ARCHIVED-Minraja Guest

Draagun wrote:
    Oh? And you do? I find that hard to believe since you only play the game a few months at a time before quitting for a year or two. Go back to being a horrible necro. Sadly, you won't be alone.

/shameless Can I have your stuff?

Edit: I never get beaten by anything but t1 dps.
  17. ARCHIVED-TNCN Guest

DPS has nothing to do with skill. Knowledge? Sure. Skill? No.