Necro or Summoner?

Discussion in 'Mages' started by EQOArabidfan, Jul 21, 2015.

1. EQOArabidfan Member

I'm still pretty new to EQII and was wondering what class i should take into the time locked server today. I'm either going to roll a Delf Necro or a Gnome Summoner. I had one of each in EQOA way back before we got shut down and i love pet classes. What are the pro's and con's of each? I'm guessing Necro can solo better due to life taps? I've no idea. Thanks!
  2. Ucala Well-Known Member

A summoner is a necro, so..
  3. EQOArabidfan Member

I meant conjuror. I'm used to them being called Mage. But since it's been changed as an overall classification and not a class i got it twisted.
  4. Luciuz Active Member

It depends, I'm guessing whichever was better of the two during that time.
  5. EQOArabidfan Member

I'll most likely roll both to be honest lol. That and an Illusionist.
  6. DarkMethods New Member

I'm in the same situation as you.

Someone told me both are great levelers / soloers. The conjuror tends to have more group damage spells, and the necro single target damage. At least this is what I was told. Necro sounds more versatile however as far as utility.
  7. Dixa Active Member

we are talking tle right?

boils down to goodie or evil really.

leveling up they are mostly the same early on, at 20 is when they diverge.

both will get two class nukes and a class encounter nuke, both get vampire bats, both get health to power abilities although necros is over time and gives slightly more. both have cure. both have pet heals but the necro one is a hot and heals for very slightly more. necro pet defensive stance is a damage shield that heals the pet for a tiny amount on hit. conjuror defensive stance has a regenerating tiny ward but no damage shield. both defensive stances generat extra threat when hit.

key differences 1-20:

Level 5 - both get a root. necro's root fears when it breaks, conjuror's snares
    level 7 - both get a power pool and resist buff. conjuror is ele resist, necro is noxious
    level 8 - both get their encounter aoe. conjuror is instant dd with a slow, necro's is a slightly higher damage if goes full duration, slower casting dot.
    level 10 - both get vampire bats
    level 11 - both get pet offensive stance. necro one has a lifetap and also have spellcasting offensive stat buffs for their mage pet. conjuror one has no proc but has more offensive skill buffs
    level 12 - tier 2 tank pet. first real divergence that matters - necros get a group int and sta buff, conjurors get a group wide all mitigation buff and pet only defense buff. This is one of only two physical mitigation buffs that will affect fighter players and pets.
    level 13 - both get pet health to power and water breathing
    level 14 - both get their pet buff that debuffs their damage type on enemy
    level 16 - necro gets blue aoe with lifetap, conjuror gets blue aoe with knockdown. I personally think the knockdown wins
    level 18 - both get a summoned item that converts life to power. necro version ultimately gives more more power but not by enough for it to matter when choosing either class.
    level 20 - this is the key divergence and when necros start to pull away in the potential single target damage department. necros get lifetap which hits like a truck at apprentice level and heals you decently. conjurors get a damage shield. both classes get mage pets, but only necros can buff their mage pets offensive skills.

next key levels:

level 21 - necro gets a 4th dot in dooming darkness. conjurors do not get another offensive ability yet.
    level 23 - necro gets first swam pet. conjuror gets a buff for as many allies as it wants that can proc a fire dot and make the mob exploded for aoe encounter damage if it dies with that dot. conjuror pulls ahead here for encounter damage but still trails the necro for single target.
    level 24 - conj gets first swam pet, necro gets fear. limited use as it breaks very easy even at master.
    level 25* - another major divergence between the classes - necro gets a max health and wis debuff that gives necro a sta and resistances buff. conjuror gets another encounter aoe dd with a cc component which when combined with the level 16 blue aoe makes a nice 1-3 punch of about 5 seconds of potential cc.
    level 32 - scout pet, the only pet you will use while leveling from this point on for both classes unless you just absolutely have to tank something.
    level 33 - necro gets a health transfer. it's an ok heal but has a hefty cooldown and a single lifetap is usually not enough to recover what you just gave away. Conjuror gets an ability that stuns their pet and gives power and health to the group. group utility superiority of the conjuror starts to exert itself here when you combine with the mitigation buff that is unique to them.
    level 35 - second swarm pet for both, this one aoe
    level 40* - another huge divergence and one of the few things that should weigh your decision between the classes. Necros get a feign death with a 5minute reuse, but also get rending - a berserk buff for their pets. This makes necro scout pets on this server even given the fact they don't buff their offensive skills like conjurors do the best dps pet available single target. Conjurors get two stoneskns one for the pet, one for themselves. The pet one has a 2 minute cooldown. Not sure on the CD of the self cooldown
    level 48 - necro gets a rez, conjuror gets a pet death prevent. Rez is huge group utility
    Level 50* - the last key level when making your choice. While blazing avatar is a nice dps ability and closes the gap between the two pets' dps as long you never delay it's recast, necro's lich gives them 3.6% of their max power pool back every 6 seconds at apprentice level as well as adding a lifetap to every spell they cast. While everyone else is suckind wind for power or conjurors are stunning their pets - lowering dps potential - to regain power, the necro is an endless running machine of pure single target destruction and on THIS server, this single ability will keep this class even or surpassing the dps potential of scouts in similar gear even though scouts are scaling far better right now due to the heavy emphasis on auto attack, physical attack speed and dps mod

So there you have it - conjuror has more group utility regardless of group makeup, tougher pets and more encounter aoe damage potential and cc. necros have nutso single target damage, more actual damage abilities and endless power at level 50. You can't go wrong with either.
    Iglu and Finora like this.
  8. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

On the other hand, at endgame, from 80-100, necros do more damage than most conjurors in raids. A lot depends on equipment, spec, and player skill.
    Dread1313 likes this.
  9. Dixa Active Member

when this server gets to that point these decisions will matter less
  10. Dread1313 Active Member

According to a Conjuror on Stormhold named "Sprok", necros "suck and have always sucked" and "dont come close to touching his numbers". He says hes level 50. so /shrug
  11. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

You can say you have a 13" dingus, too. Parses or it never happened!
    Dread1313 likes this.
  12. Bhayar Well-Known Member

Agree with Sig. And the same guy who claims his dingus is 13" is the same guy who created a toon and 10 minutes later has it to L20.
  13. Ucala Well-Known Member

conjs do more damage than necros in the 100 endgame

well it's probably true, conjs should do more damage then necros in the endgame (it's true for 100, idk how the new TLE 50 works out). since a necro is more about solo/being able to live longer, a conj is more about the dps.
    I will say Sprok is infact 50 though
  14. Dread1313 Active Member

I refer you to this post...

but this:

Has the most sense to it. I explained it to the guy and he basically told me to F off.
    (I think his *** is just chapped against Necros. Maybe one peed in his corn flakes? LOL! :p
    Sigrdrifa likes this.
  15. Ucala Well-Known Member

the fact is everyone that doesn't understand game mechanics pulls the "it's about the player" card, when in reality it isn't always about the player.
    a conj in equal gear and equal skill will out dps a necro of similar traits. the conj pet is just designed to do more.
    that's like saying an amazing defiler could out dps an amazing wizard. the class itself just isn't built that way.

Also idk why you "refereed" me to the quote that I quoted in my quote.
  16. Dread1313 Active Member

Meh.. Apples and oranges I guess. (I'm partial to Oranges btw)

What about lifeburn?

I guess I digress.
  17. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

I raid on a conjuror and haven't thus far had a necro, so keep in mind that I'm a little biased. But I also freely admit that thus far, even when I am the one getting the good illy and trouby buffs, the necro is parsing much better than me. We have an amazing necro, too.

The dumbfire pets are one factor. Necros have Lifeburn, conjies have Soulburn (the first uses the toon's life, the second uses the pet's). On a trash fight with lots of linked mobs (TFWLLM), my conjuror is in the gravy. Conjies have lots and lots of AOE attacks, both green and blue.

Since the latest round of pet fixes, the scout pets are much better than the mage pet, and that's true for both flavors of Summoners.
  18. Trak Member

Necros have lifeburn, Conjurors have elemental blast, both have soulburn.
  19. Ucala Well-Known Member

lifeburn doesn't do that much in a raid setting, maybe 5-7% of your dps? pretty small really, no need to act like it's an all mighty game changer.

it also isn't apples and oranges :p conjs just do more dps than necro when played equal. /shrugs
  20. Dixa Active Member

if equally geared on tle the necro should pull ahead on any long fight due to reaping on the scout pet and mana return on lich. this again assumes the necro is not a **** and clipping the hell outof their dots. shorter fights will always favor direct damage which the conjuror has more of.

i have seen level 20 necros doing 12dpsduring the boss phase of the cl pq. my wand alone does 50dps.
    Dread1313 likes this.