NantWorks Makes Strategic Investment in Daybreak Game Company; Mobile Versions of H1Z1 & EverQuest

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Feldon, Sep 6, 2018.

1. Feldon Well-Known Member

https://www.daybreakgames.com/press/daybreak-games-nantworks-joint-venture

You know that frank discussion of this topic will not be allowed here. Fortunately there are other venues.
    Soara2, Siren, Lateana and 4 others like this.
  2. Roxxlyy Community Relations

Discussions here are welcome, as long as they are kept civil and free of rumor-mongering, and of course do not break the forum rules.

For the part I'm sure everyone is most curious about, unfortunately we have no additional information to share about the potential EverQuest mobile game at this time - all information that is available is stated in the above press release.
    Soara2, Azrael's Tear and Dude like this.
  3. Tekka Well-Known Member

EverQuest mobile game? This is way too late (or early, depending) for an April Fool's joke. So I guess it's serious.

How do you condense the rich, expansive world of Norrath down to a phone app?

How do you raid on a smart phone?

How do you craft, even the current less complex version, on an app?

How do you do any of the things that make EverQuest and Norrath what they are on a mobile app?

To everyone that wished for EQ3, granted.

(now how does that old saying go...)
  4. Castegyre Well-Known Member

Yeah, about as expected. I'm not happy about feeling vindicated, by the way.
    Soara2, Mizgamer62, Rhodris and 2 others like this.
  5. Pixistik Don't like it? You're not alone!

Its kinda funny actually..it sort of explains why the game has turned in absolutley no general direction.

I wonder if it will have Microtransactions..LOL
    Soara2 and Mizgamer62 like this.
  6. Mermut Well-Known Member

I'm curious if there there will be any official announcement about exactly how this does, or doesn't, affect the current games.
    Soara2 and Mizgamer62 like this.
  7. Cragfire Well-Known Member

You know what... lets do it.. e-sports eq2 up.. battlegrounds on steroids.. and enough flash, bang and lens flares to make jj abrams blush.. :)
    Soara2 likes this.
  8. Castegyre Well-Known Member

On your phone?

I don't get the impression anyone involved is planning to make games that require much more than whatever the current entry level smart phone is and maybe a Facebook account to play.

If people like that stuff and it makes money, great. That's just not what I want in a Norrathian title so if that's the sort of game they're planning I'm out.
    Soara2, Rhodris and Mizgamer62 like this.
  9. Feldon Well-Known Member

Daybreak Games has been scuba diving for a long time, searching for a new supply of air. They just found a nice fresh bottle of O2.
    Soara2, Meneltel, Siren and 4 others like this.
  10. Jaden Well-Known Member

Glass half-full -- new, established investor, new funds to create with?!
    Soara2, Azrael's Tear and Dude like this.
  11. Rhodris EQ2Wire Ninja

Mobile game - didn't they already try that and it didn't fly?

All power to them if they get successful games developed for a mobile platform. Not for me, though. And if a mobile platform becomes their new focus, the PC platform will totally wither on the vine through neglect (more than it already has, i.e. EQ2 is not Battle Royale or whatever the latest flavour-of-the-month genre is).
    Soara2, Meneltel, Mermut and 2 others like this.
  12. Stach Well-Known Member

So if you read the whole release, this is a company that sees the future of esports and wants to get in on it, So they are going to use the H1Z1 franchise to do that, and if they investing this into it, it looks like the future is bright for that BR franchise. Plus they are going to bring it to mobile phones just like PUBG and Fortenite did. It amazing the H1Z1 was really the first BR and they lost that to two other games.
    Now what they do with EQ franchise is really up in the air, will it be helped with the new influx of cash, it may, I would hope so, but I believe even if there is an influx of cash your just going to see more and more micro transactions and ways to get money out of people. But I hope not, I would love to see it be brought back to before the money started. But at this point I don't see how they could back this out.
    Lets hope the partnership brings some ability to make this game better.

Also they are looking into VR, and this company has some cash....
    Soara2, Rhodris and semisus like this.
  13. Harington Member

Hard to say what will happen, or if this will be good or bad for EQ and its future. However I choose to believe they will invest in EQ and allow the brand to survive for many years to come. I suspect the mobile version will be something similar to the castle/army builder games already out there. I am more curious to see what they plan for EQ2/EQ3. I also hope they may rehire some/all of the staff Daybreak let go over the summer.

Cheers to the franchise, may she go on well into the future!
    Soara2 and Rosyposy like this.
  14. Errrorr An Actual EQ2 Player

From what i can tell by press release and other statements, this will have 0 impact upon EQ1/EQ2.

To me it seems just a way of DBG selling H1Z1 but without actually selling it.
    Soara2, Mizgamer62, Ramone_AB and 6 others like this.
  15. Mermut Well-Known Member

Wish they'd come out and say it, here, in as many words....
    Soara2, Rhodris and Mizgamer62 like this.
  16. Anaogi Well-Known Member

The gentleman behind this holding company has an...interesting track record. Not sure whether his genius is properly in medicine or hucksterism.
    Soara2, Rosyposy and Rhodris like this.
  17. Siren Well-Known Member

It sounds like EQ1 & 2, Planetside and the olden games of yore are getting left behind at Daybreak. The new mobile EQ and mobile H1Z1 are going to this new "company" billionaire corp. Nantworks.

Oh well, it can't possibly be any worse than being owned by a Russian oligarch criminal was, and we made it through that.

Okay, I've got a monster Android phone of doom (and all us PC users can run Bluestacks instead anyway-- a free program that will run Android on our PCs), so I say, bring it on!

Any new Everquest is better than no new Everquest. :p
    Soara2, Rhodris and Rosyposy like this.
  18. Dolgrin Active Member

The Emperor has no clothes!!!
    Soara2 likes this.
  19. Castegyre Well-Known Member

You'll be able to get his clothes with the next cash shop update. They'll probably cost about treefitty.
    Soara2, Feldon, Curby and 3 others like this.
  20. Gillymann Abusive Relationships Aren't Healthy. J S.

I speculated on the other forums that this investor is simply buying his way into the mobile f2p market. The esports thing is just a clever way to hype the products and generate rivers of microtransaction revenue.

There is a profitable market for this stuff, but I'm inclined to believe any notions this investment or any returns on it will be reinvested in existing titles is misguided.

Lastly, this company will have to show me a vastly different character before I will put their app on my phone (because phone apps can be used to data mine the phone and the applications accessed by it).

Perhaps this stuff will be great, but....trust issues.
    Soara2, Meneltel, Rhodris and 2 others like this.