Nagafen PvP Beta

Discussion in 'Test Server Forum' started by Caith, Feb 6, 2019.

1. Hextall New Member

Thanks for your suggestions. I waited 90 minutes but still had the black screen. Pressed ESC. Added the false line to the ini file. No luck.

I looked at rad tools but not sure how that would help. Would it automatically play the video in that player?
  2. Virgil Member

Thanks for the thoughtful reply. You're right about the old server population. It was great. I played pvp for 3+ years myself and really liked it.

The one thing I guess I didn't make clear is that I'm in no way suggesting that they change anything related to the way PVP works EXCEPT that dishonorably killing someone isn't rewarded the same as a fair fight. That's all.

You can gank all day long. But you're not going to be as rewarded as someone who plays with honor. You're playing dishonorably, you should be rewarded as such. Wrap it up into the lore - the Zek's reward fighters for fighting! They don't reward them for acting like cowards (aka ganking).
    Araxes, Raeven and Siren like this.
  3. Virgil Member

I like this idea. Level appropriate gear dropping from pvp kills. As long as the kills aren't just gankings. A reward from the gods of war.
    ArcaneCognition likes this.
  4. TechUp Active Member

I found some more notes. I know I had to this at one time (and the files are still there)

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...turning-player-need-help-game-crashing.565097

5. Rutaq New Member

The Testing leaves me wanting more ....

I love the thrill and risk in the Beta, the lower level pvp ranges did clean up alot of the crazy camping that was going on in newbie areas. the Dungeon brawls have been fun, though I feel bad for new players that haven't found a solid group to adventure with. the open world fights have been great when we can avoid dancing around zone boarders but for all the action I noticed just how much more EQ2 offers....

There is so much out there; Dungeons, Questline, Crafting, Collectibles, Housing, etc... EQ2 has an amazing amount of content that makes living on a PvP server exciting but sadly the majority will be simply overlooked and ignored as we rush towards server wipe.

Even with intrinsic power disparity problems and other issues that can make a PvP stale over time, I wonder if the renewed interest of folks with EQ2 PvP and the DEV effort to fix itemization could make a real PvP TLE viable. Looking back at Deathtoll, it seems that the major problem was that the itemization and balancing wasn't ready and by the time things were getting fixed it was too late as most people had given up :(

Like some earlier posts, I think about having characters migrated at the end of seasons to a non event PvP TLE server, maybe something that is one Expansion behind the Event server. The non event server can be where the progression raiding, crafting,etc. can happen, while the next group of characters are built up on the new event server with it's new expansion, new level limit, new items,etc...

See you on the field. 11 days of Beta testing to go....
    Virgil likes this.
  6. Fetish Well-Known Member

It seems that other than fast travel, none of those offending PvE additions will be there. Coding changes will keep it from ever being the same, but it is history, not conjecture, that speaks of a PvP server that had virtually no balance or "fairness" being overflowing with people. The lack of making it a PvP game was its draw. It was, and always will be, a PvE game with everyone's PvP flag checked. Dozens of classes, tons of different abilities, and innumerable items, all created with no consideration of balance...and it was an absolutely magical experience. Nostalgia, I know. My point is that they don't have to nerf things to attract people. I think they are on to something with this recycling FFA progression server.
  7. Virgil Member

I'm unfamiliar with how event servers work in eq2. Does the server just go away and chars are wiped at the end of each season? I guess I didn't understand that from the initial posts about the server.
    Siren likes this.
  8. Siren Well-Known Member

Yes, all characters and progress are wiped at the 12 week mark, per the devs on Discord.
  9. Virgil Member

Oh, interesting. Hmmmm, that changes a lot of how I feel about the whole idea. Makes sense that pvp would be the entire focus of the game. If nothing else, this could be a way to get PVP working decently and then a TLE pvp server might actually work.

But for now, it's just a dream heh.
    Siren likes this.
  10. Redlight Well-Known Member

I feel like items are a bit of a mess. Level 20 items sometimes better than 30 regardless of tier, the entire order of progression vs reward is not matching. Level 20 quested items for example give 8 primary attributes, level 30 give 10. Then suddenly level 40 hops in with a whooping 20+. Certain nameds drop better gear than the final boss of some zones, witnessed a double stat same level drop from a trash mob that was treasured as opposed to a fabled item.

Also PvP is just a big massive mess at the moment, mini-dings ruining group vs group PvP. Not enough players which leads to cluster- at certain meta agreed locations. Group setups are also out of balance. A 1 healer group will not be able to compete with a 2 healer group. On top of that, abilities are often not working properly.
    Siren likes this.
  11. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

I said in an earlier post that it looked good at least it did on the first day .
    I also said I played a game with pvp like this and a 12 level difference is almost as bad as bad as no level restriction ,
    needless to say the game I was talking about is still around ,but the pvp server is long gone.
    One interesting thing was that if you murdered people without a fair fight you would eventually get the status of a demon and all guards in any city would attack you.
    True when the real server comes out with the membership restriction people will think twice about buying 6 subscriptions.
    I know of some people who played multiple toons at the same time , but they did it for PvE the necro group sounds more like a bot and that is not allowed .
    I agree that we should get the extra bag first and than the other stuff.
    But I guess that this is all just for Beta and for the regular server we will have to level the hard way and not being leveled up to 9 right away.
    I like to level lock my crafters and harvesters so I can get 2 notches before getting killed .
    Well I guess we can simply do it like in the old days and through ourselves of a cliff about 30 times so we have so much death debt to last us a week.
    Rutaq , when this is over and you can live without PvP come to Fallen Gate or any new TLserver ( I heard there is a new one coming. ) you will be able to enjoy all the contains .
    Siren likes this.
  12. Vahln New Member

I'd like to share my opinions on the PvP beta and idea so far.

The combat is feeling great to start, I think for gameplay you guys are nailing it and already heading in the right direction. As long as itemization passes keep up with content unlocks we'll be in a great place.

For the overall theme and idea of the server I think some improvements could be made, and I'm not sure if this is already the intent and the current state is just for beta testing, but -

We shouldn't be limiting the game by putting the emphasis so strongly on PvP. EQ2 is at it's best, to me, when PvP is another feature in the game, another aspect of this world, not when it's the entire game.

PvE should remain the primary source of character progression. I'm all for making experience gains from PvP substantial, but they should not surpass that of PvE grinding or questing. And tradeskilling needs to be able to keep up as well.

Making PvP the primary (or only) form of progression creates an environment where people attack any and everyone they come across because that's the most effective way to build your character. It should be about choosing your battles and being a part of your own communities inside the game, fighting when you have a reason to (whatever you decide that reason is), not about killing any and everything on sight without rhyme or reason.

The easy way to accomplish this would be to bring back the original Alignment teams system with Qs, Freeps, and Exiles. It's a proven method that works and I think most people would be fine with.

If we really wanted to keep the FFA thing going I think that's fine too, and maybe a really good thing for overall server health due to not splitting the population in half for grouping, raiding, guilds, etc. But that can REALLY only work if PvE is highly incentivized at all levels, else it just becomes the random slaughterfest we currently have going on in Beta.
    Durzo, Raeven and Siren like this.
  13. Satyr Well-Known Member

I'm going to make a longer post about specific classes, but I think the fundamental problem is the balance between PVP and PVE XP. Quest XP needs to be tripled, PVE experience needs to be tripled and PVP experience needs to be divided by a third or possibly even more. The fundamental problem is that to have meaningful PVP content you also need to get people in to the game world doing PVE. At the moment PVP just consists of 35's aimlessly rolling around noob zones, which is pointless and unfun.
    Durzo and Raeven like this.
  14. Wyldfire New Member

Its been 5 years since I played EQ. came back to the game a few months ago just to sorta take a stole down memory lane kinda thing. found out 2 days about the PVP server. I am originally from Nagy and going back to PVP felt like home. its awesome thank you so much daybreak, I really forgot how it felt to go to war with other players in EQ2. Im calling up all my old EQ friends and im gunna try and get as many of them as I can to return to nagy. family reunion lol.
    Winter likes this.
  15. Piiv New Member

PVP for pvp is not normal, it should make sense.
    Seasonality of the server kills any incentive to pumping.
    Either make a stop experience from pvp, or immediately make all the 50th level in top armor.
    And definitely it is necessary to conduct accelerated kraft pumping (or immediately open it all).
    Sorry for my English (Googl translator is to blame for everything)
  16. Kazooooooooooo Active Member

Hey! Gonna just throw out my thoughts on the recent beta after the first two days. Overall I've enjoyed the beta and I think DBG has definitely taken a step in the right direction in some aspects but maybe fell short on some others. I'll do my best to break it down and keep it organized!

Player vs. Player
    • Combat feels relatively balanced but a few classes need some love(Clerics, shamans) and others should be adjusted just a tad(lookin at you 10m incurable coercer charm& necro pets)
    • Leaderboard is a pretty cool addition, maybe add a highest infamy/fame portion
    • Currently your PvP value(fame) is lost when you die effectively resulting your fame being worth 100% to 0%. I'd like to see the value increase faster to prevent rez zerging, possibly have it reset fully upon gaining 16 fame.
    • Racials like Kerra & fae speed should probably be removed or maybe toned down.
    • Free trade(increased drops) love this! Would like to see the number of items dropped go from 1-3 with only being able to drop 1 legendary+
    • PvP XP was initially way too high and gave players no reason to do PvE content, it was brought down now
    Player vs. Environment
    • Overland loot tables need to be reworked. Gear in dungeons needs to be sought after and gear from quests should be a revamped. Quests are giving gear weaker than merchants.
    • Solo content difficulty should be decreased just a smidge. Group content difficult should be where it is although I haven't done much of it
    • PvE XP should be increased slightly. Given the 1 month time frame for each xpac levels should come smoothly and it should not feel like a chore.
    • There should never ever ever be a Commonlands 2 with such a small population. Cap for a 2nd instance of a zone should be increased dramatically.
    Of all of this I think the most important thing to focus on is absolutely the loot tables. Once xp is adjusted properly there will be less clustering for pvp and the best way to encourage it, especially on a free trade server would be to up the gear dropped in contested areas from group content. If my group takes the time to clear FG then I expect any gear that drops to be better than my jeweler merchant jewelry.
    I'd love to hear your thoughts on my thoughts!
    Durzo and Winter like this.
  17. Gankednshanked Active Member

Will probably post a long detailed post at some point this weekend.

PvP is meh atm. The XP change is good. Need to figure out a way to balance the system so that people are incentivized to go into the open world to PvP and not sit in Outpost of the Overlord from 10-50. Don't have the answer atm. PvE is the core of this game, it's important to not lose sight of that in order to maintain this server's (hopeful) longevity. Placing PvP as a layer on top of the game and then balancing how PvP combat works/tweaking numbers makes everything smooth, interesting, and fun to play.

Would like to get unbanned from Official Discord, and TIL Wednesday can be the 6th and 7th of February 2019.
    Daalilama, Durzo and Siren like this.
  18. Gankednshanked Active Member

Disagree with this. There's always been a 2nd instance opening after a certain amount of players enter the zone. If you end up forcing 200 players in the zone, it will just crash.
    Raeven and Siren like this.
  19. Raeven Well-Known Member

Since everyone seems so interested in their leaderboard standing and getting xp from PvP kills, why not do something like this to prevent lowbie ganking:

PvP kills at your own level get good xp and a +1 for leaderboard kills
    PvP killing of someone higher than you get more xp and a fraction more (1.5 for one level higher, 2 for 2 levels higher than you, etc.) for the leaderboard
    Ganking someone lower than you will get little xp and a minus for your leaderboard (-.5 for 1 level lower, -1 for 2 levels lower, etc.)

This might encourage people to think and plan their PvP killing rather than mass slaughtering of lowbies. And it keeps the FFA going without restrictions, just means players will have to police themselves on lowbie kills if they want to be high on leaderboard.

This won't address the other issue I have, that gank groups hunt single players, but it is at least a start to make the game a more honorable environment where those that get the titles truly deserve them.

Edited to add this:

Not sure how the group xp and leaderboard standing is currently calculated, but perhaps using my idea above and dividing kill xp and leaderboard points among the group members would help with that. If a group of 2 kills a player at their own level they would each get half the xp and half a leaderboard point. Same would go for leaderboard debt if they kill a player lower than them, etc.
    ArcaneCognition, Araxes and Siren like this.
  20. flameweaver Well-Known Member

Yeah, you can ignore all the other stuff, just install the bink player. The Bink format is used by many games, and is usually included in their setup. Back in the day it was included in the EQ2 setup - when the game came on optical discs. When EQ2 changed over to digital download they stopped including all of the third party stuff.
    If it doesn't cure the problem it sounds like the issue is something else, the movie as I recall is no more than a few minutes.

Hope this helps.