Nagafen PvP Beta

Discussion in 'Test Server Forum' started by Caith, Feb 6, 2019.

1. Siren Well-Known Member

You can re-set your bind point to somewhere else, anytime you want, seriously. You can bind anywhere you want, just go there and click your Set Recall Point icon and you're done; any time you click your Call to Home icon in your tray, you'll port to the last place you set that recall point at. You could bind at Freeport docks, and keep it there or change it every day or every hour if you wanted (but that would be a little nutty).
  2. Fetish Well-Known Member

I love the imbalances. Don't remove too many, or it will become dull. Long charm? Keep it. Long stifles? Keep them also. Keep a lot of the stuff that makes someone fear/respect/avoid something or someone. I'm saying this as a healer, not a rogue. And don't make things too safe. Oh noes, I got attacked by reds! Players should be more of a threat than the PvE mobs in a zone. When you enter Antonica at 10, there are mobs that are red to you. The difference in PvP and PvE is that the mobs aren't a poorly programed AI with a leash. They can track you and kill you...that should include the red mobs. ...and please leave in the city faction being affected by you killing your city members. Actions have consequences.

So far...I love this.
    Schmetterling and Virgil like this.
  3. Virgil Member

This post should be pretty eye-opening for DBG. Not because the poster is correct on all of these points, but because this is the impression the game gives to a new player.

The points about no anti-zerg is a very valid point.

The point about PVP being the only option, (thus there will be no harvesters, crafters, or questers). Is valid too, though you can fix that by making PvE a little better xp than it is and turning crafting into something a human would actually want to do on this type of server.

Crafting on our PVP servers in the past is utterly terrible. Getting ganked while crafting is, in the opinion of most people except gankers, pointless and bad for the overall health of a server. Harvesting is fine, but crafting? You should be allowed to craft in peace. Perhaps there are some armor types that take you into the wild (like blood forge armor) to craft.
  4. Siren Well-Known Member

FFA adds a needless monkey wrench with accidental friendly fire if you aren't teamed. There are thousands of players on any MMORPG server; not everyone can be literally pre-teamed as fights break out.

I just wish they would get rid of FFA, go back to factional PvP with Exiles, then run Nagafen as a permanent server with level locking permanently disabled. Then the only twinking would happen at end game, and new players would have a chance to gear up before then. They could use Deathtoll as a starting point, then keep balancing gear and classes and banning exploiters from there.

Just disabling level locking would prevent the extreme power differences between newbies and casuals versus hardcores-- the very thing I think all this "slowing crafting way down so nobody crafts so there aren't as good of gear or spells available" and the "shutting down the server after 3 months" are aiming to rectify.
  5. Siren Well-Known Member

Fetish, I also like the consequences for city PvP, and losing faction with your city if you kill players from your own side. If someone can't port home safely anymore without getting one-shotted by their own guards, maybe they should reconsider whom they're killing.

Exiles could kill anyone from any side, too, but in retaliation, all players of every level could kill them. That was more fair than this random dog eat dog thing where I don't want to bother jumping into any fights because they could just turn on me next, not to mention the accidental friendly fire aspect.
  6. Zarnafien Well-Known Member

The only thing limiting my enjoyment is the horrible crafting xp.

Crafting tutorial got me to just over level 7. From there it was 8 items to reach level 8.

Increase crafting xp to somewhat keep pace with adventure xp.
    Virgil likes this.
  7. Durzo New Member

Just a thought...

It would be good if the fame system recognised that there needs to be some degree of skill involved in order to reward pvp xp or fame. Since fame should imply that the player or group are skilled...you could have it so you lose fame (and gain no xp) if you attack a player or group who you outnumber significantly i.e. 6 vs 1 or 6 vs 2 (unless they attack you first).

The only problem with this is trying to work out how this would operate with potential leachers / people dropping from their group for kills.
    Siren and Virgil like this.
  8. Virgil Member

I'd like to see a PVP server that promotes fair confrontation. The current system promotes an unhealthy and toxic community. Players who act like ***** are rewarded for it.

I'd love to see an honor system. Honorable kills are highly rewarded, like all kills are right now. Dishonorable kills are rewarded less.

Dishonorable kills:
    • Group (2+) killing a solo player
    • Raid killing a solo player
    • Killing a player already engaged with a mob
    • Killing a player already engaged with another player
    • Killing a player that's low on health before you engage
    • Killing a player over and over
    • Killing a player with revive sickness
    Honorable kills would be any other type of kill that wasn't considered a cheap shot.
    Again, I'm not saying you can't kill in those cheap ways but just that you aren't HIGHLY rewarded for being an *******.
    The way the game is now, the more toxic you are, the "better" you are. How about, the better you are, the better you are?

Edit: I think the toxic behavior is why all of EQ2's pvp servers have faltered in the past. So many haters out there.
  9. Blason New Member

The trouble is I did set my bind - in a specific place in Neriak, which happens to be next to some guards. So when I first recalled and they killed me, I respawned in zone, which is between 2 more guards forwards, or I can zone out to DLW where there are two more guards that would kill me also.
  10. Siren Well-Known Member

Maybe in DLW you would respawn outside Neriak once those final guards killed you, away from all the guards? Then you could re-bind somewhere else totally.

And in the future, don't be killing players from your own side, tsk tsk. Your faction went down with your own people; now they kill you on sight. :p

PS/ General feedback on FFA: You know, when I play a single player RPG that happens to have a small multiplayer component, like say Two Worlds or Two Worlds II, they have friendly fire possible in their multiplayer. I tend to associate it with games for whom multiplayer is not their main focus.

We're better than this, guys.
  11. Fetish Well-Known Member

I think that the faction loss is a viable solution to the concern about your same faction players turning on you. They should have that option, but there should be consequences. The faction loss will work that out over time. The same for friendly fire. It should be a concern. PBAoEs should be used as if they were PBAoEs, because they are. Someone who uses them thoughtlessly will feel the wrath of the guards once their faction loss hits certain levels. The only thing that needs to be added is a means, maybe city writs as they are in the open word, that allow for reparations to regain faction. That one mechanic, city faction loss, is brilliant (whether accidentally or with intent, I don't know), as it resolves many issues with FFA PvP. It also lends a purpose to exile, no guards to hate you if you are a carefree murderer. Haven is still only accessible by exiles.
    ArcaneCognition and Raeven like this.
  12. Siren Well-Known Member

I think the only time your city faction drops and the city guards don't like you is if you kill your own side's players *while inside the city walls* though.

For FFA killing and facing actual repercussions for it, old Nagafen did it better. We had Exiles then, and any player of any level and any side could kill them back.

This new FFA just promotes toxicity, and a total lack of caring about any player on this server. It's really too bad, especially after waiting multiple years for a PvP rez.
    ArcaneCognition and Pixistik like this.
  13. Teya New Member

• The following abilities have had PvP templates added that modify the ability in PvP combat.
    I found this in the update notes. I want to know exactly how they were modified?
    I logged in today and my utility abilities didn't function at all. I may as well be a want to be wizard without the high hitting nukes. This is exactly why when pvp first came out on eq2 I stopped playing pvp. At first all the players had their abilities, the next day you may as well take half your skills off your bar because they are unuseable. REALLY? You just took away what defines each class from one another.
    Why are any of the classes abilities being nerfed? So that everyone is fighting with basically the same skills? Why then bother having different classes at all? The only thing I see different at this point is what classes can wear. Ex. Plate, Chain, Leather, Cloth. If that is the case everyone will just delete their character and roll with a plate wearer.
    Supposedly this pvp was to be a free for all. I see that got thrown right out the window right away.
    Don't take away any skills and abilities of classes or nerf them to hell. Everyone needs to stop complaining about everyone else's class abilities and learn their toon. If you know your class then you will do great at fighting any other class, if you don't then you had better get busy and learn it fast. Stop whining and get on a regular server and learn your class!
  14. Durzo New Member

Also, if DB were to implement fame loss for killing players on a recent list...This may also help prevent players being killed over and over.
    Siren likes this.
  15. Fetish Well-Known Member

I can understand your desire for such, however regarding your edit, and to offer an example that is at odds with your theory.

There was a time when there were multiple PvP servers filled to capacity, Nagafen, Venekor, Euro servers. There were masses of PvP happening everywhere. There was no fair play. None. There was griefing. There was zerging. There was rude gameplay. Yet...the servers were full. Then...people asked for changes "to make things fair", and things were done to make those complainers happy (I don't mean that offensively. They are people who complained). The mare "fair and balanced" changes they added, the lower the population. Maybe it was coincidence, but to those that were there from day one, they know how active and fun it was before the fair and balanced crowd arrived.

What I noticed was that whatever balanced competitive play options were added, they were merely exploited by those asking for them. Revive immunity? Sure, use it to inch your way up to the tank fighting an open world raid mob. Then taunt/debuff/engage the tank to wipe the raid. Change it so that mentored players can't fight because people were being tricked into attacking them? Sure, now it is greys killing reds unable to attack. All that is being done is changing the point and perpetrator of the "unfair play". We had that. This time, can we try what was so ridiculously popular the first time?
  16. MarzEQ New Member

Right. All classes are equal and viable in 1v1 pvp. Keep sippin' that uninformed kool-aid.
    Raeven likes this.
  17. Siren Well-Known Member

Truthfully, most of what killed Nagafen and the other open PvP servers was the gradual dumping of more and more PvE content there: guild halls, leapers/flyers, fast travel, Battlegrounds and massively OP PvP gear with zero PvE stats, level lockers being able to use massive amounts of AAs to one-shot newbies....that's what emptied out Nagafen.
    Durzo likes this.
  18. Teya New Member

I had a valid idea that had nothing to do with messing with people's class abilities.

What if there was a tangible reward, other than dropped boxes off others, for each kill and the intangible numbers achievement. Tangible in that a piece of gear that is level appropriate and dropped like an additional chest given by the Gods of Norrath for each kill and being good at PVP'ing?

That might go a long way to seeing so many naked toons running around.
    Virgil likes this.
  19. Fetish Well-Known Member

Yeah...guild halls and BGs were horrible additions to a PvP server, as were all the things you mention, however it still stands true that when PvP was raw, dirty, and "unfair", the servers were filled to capacity.
  20. Siren Well-Known Member

Unfortunately for your theory, that was also in the days when PvP had its own dedicated dev team, and back then, none of the offending PvE additions had been added to the PvP servers yet.

Every open PvP has griefers, gankers, and class imbalances, but the FFA servers tend to empty out by far the fastest.