Nagafen PvP Beta

Discussion in 'Test Server Forum' started by Caith, Feb 6, 2019.

1. Drdeepsmile New Member

I mean there's lot of issues

XP GAINS
    ZERG BALANCE
    CRAFTING
    to name a few

But there's a chitload of players

like 50 people in freeport
    20 in cl
    like 10 in enchanted
    like 20 in darkwood

Not counting dungeons in these zones. I just ran through them getting bang in the last 20 minutes and that was the /who count @ 2am est for each of these zones.
  2. Monterey New Member

I have not read most of the posts in this thread.

For me as it stands, I will not be part of the EQ2 PvP server launch. Although I enjoy EQ2 100% more then I like EQ1, I would rather start on the EQ1 TLP in March then the EQ2 PvP server. This is not because of PvP (I actually like PvP servers more then non-PvP). On the current Beta there is something missing. Everybody is looking for their XP fix regardless of faction. When you zone into a dungeon you immediately zone out if you see another group there because you only have 3 people in your party instead of 6 like the others do. There needs to be a reason for people not to attack each other as much as there needs to be a reason for people to attach each other.

While this may be a PvP server, PvE XP should still remain king. Once you make PvP the main way of leveling you remove any incentive to PvE. Look at the first few days of Beta to see what I am referring to. When you can get 50% (or more) of a level off of 1 PvP kill, why kill a NPC mob for 1% XP?
  3. Fanatical Member

Just completed the manastone hq. Turned out the manastone is nother more than a paper weight right now and wont do anything. Tried hotbaring it and using it out of my bag with right click.
  4. Tharrakor Well-Known Member

Dev replies on forum is extremely rare. They are clearly listening to feedback tho considering the quick and numerous fixes. Many things many were complaining about (carnage, pvp lvl range, isle of refugee ganking) was fixed very fast.
    Trasor, Dude, Kittybock and 2 others like this.
  5. Raff Well-Known Member

Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results?

This Beta is a test bed for doing things differently, not the re-launch of the legacy Nagafen server. There is not even a guarantee of a server launch. Not yet. Since no one here knows just what the Devs really can or cannot do. Why not keep throwing out suggestions?
    Gillymann, Dude and Kittybock like this.
  6. Kittybock Well-Known Member

My concerns, after dabbling just a bit on the new server, is that the XP gain is slow, other than PvP itself. Yep, PvP is the goal, but the ability to gear a toon is limited by the current ruleset. Since limited to only one toon, we miss out on the ability to create alts to gear our main. A great place to gank people is when they are harvesting. That said, XP gain is pretty slow on crafting, so how many will actually risk harvesting to make items to sell on broker?

While I realize we can get gear from ganking others, we can only get what they have not yet attuned.
    ArcaneCognition, Dude and Siren like this.
  7. Winter New Member

From a conversation I was just having:

best way to beta test IMO is with free mastercrafted gear and master CAs/Spells + /level 14 24 34 44 have people spend more time playing and less time grinding a game that's 15 years old. have a merchant that gives the MC gear and spells at all tiers and then have that one NPC to level to any level..then people can just PLAY at all tiers and test
    Virgil and Tharrakor like this.
  8. Zenji Well-Known Member

Many on use items do not work on Beta, including lots of quests that require you to use a clicky to update it. For example the quest in Darklight that requires you to zap the floating souls/skulls or throw stuff into the pit.
    Kittybock and ArcaneCognition like this.
  9. Zenji Well-Known Member

I agree a beta booster needs to be an option to more evenly test things at higher level. However, there was/is a point to get us to go out and quest /dungeon for gear and that was to test XP, loot drops, quests, etc. Both need to be done and with a Booster the latter would get skipped by most.
    Tharrakor and Siren like this.
  10. Siren Well-Known Member

[quote="Winter, post: 6540408, member: 5653"]From a conversation I was just having:
    best way to beta test IMO is with free mastercrafted gear and master CAs/Spells + /level 14 24 34 44 have people spend more time playing and less time grinding a game that's 15 years old. have a merchant that gives the MC gear and spells at all tiers and then have that one NPC to level to any level..then people can just PLAY at all tiers and test[/quote]

Boosting would gloss over many of the current beta version's worst problems, including crafting/adventuring XP rates, itemization of crafted goods, and class balance in different tiers.

If anything, they should extend beta into a full 3-month season. Then they can adjust PvP/crafting/adventuring XP plus tweak classes (Summoner pets and Enchanters especially need nerfing down) and adjust gear stats to where they want them for any possible server launch. Then they should do a full wipe of the beta server, having us start again from level 1 once the beta server comes back up, with no instant items or money at all. We need to test everything as it will be, should Nagafen ever officially launch.

No extra plat and no coming out of the door at level 10 will ensure that even if they re-flag the isles as open PvP @ level 10, that all players including any new ones or casuals will be more combat ready.

They need to ditch FFA, too. All it has become is lazy griefers hunting their own side, Q orange 6-mans hunting Q greens as they zone into the first newbie areas, and FP orange 6-mans hunting FP greens similarly, and little else. Before they disabled PvP altogether on the islands, no one ever even left them! You had 32s, 24s and such farming newbies just zoning in off the ship for days-- pathetic.

They need to re-enable factional PvP and Exiles. You will immediately see a huge drop off in same-faction ganking, because it won't be the lazy griefer's way anymore. Those orange 6-mans don't have the guts to Exile, where everyone of every level can kill them back in retribution. There were only about 12 Exile guilds on Old Nagafen-- that should tell you something right there. There need to be repercussions for that behavior for a server to last.

And getting rid of the FFA system will eliminate accidental friendly fire, too; right now nobody can even jump in and help somebody getting griefed because any AoE or accidental click and they're dead. How dumb. Factional PvP will instantly improve the toxic negativity that beta Nagafen is currently crawling with-- at least halfway. :p

We need to test what the server will really be like at launch, to ensure that it doesn't immediately empty out like it has this first time around. And that means actually setting it up like it will be at launch, and testing a full season with its DoF and KoS expansions, too.

If they require a cash infusion for the additional development time, they should charge a gold sub to get in this time. To even beta test Deathtoll, we had to be subbed gold! If you're not willing to pay a sub, then you won't be there come launch anyway. Why should anybody be listening to you?

That would cut down on all the multi boxing, too. :p
    Kittybock, MarzEQ, Gillymann and 4 others like this.
  11. Trasor Active Member

I would say that I am thoroughly enjoying playing on Beta - I think the main reason they might stick with FFA is it never gives the sense that there is a smaller server population, because anyone is killable.

I feel like on Deathtoll (and Naggy and Vox) once someone couldn't find anything to kill on a few separate tries, they said it was dead and moved on. This prevents that.

Classes still aren't 100% balanced but I feel like they are getting closer. You really do need to spend a lot of time PvPing to progress, and everyone seems to just be wearing outdated gear and cool with it since the XP/gear gains by PVE still seem to be not enough.

All said and done, loving it and seeing all the players before (and new ones).
  12. Siren Well-Known Member

FFA friendly fire is like driving by the scene of an accident, but you don't bother calling 911 because you already know the EMTs will kill the accident victims by mistake while trying to save them. :p

But then it's just 6-man oranges of your faction bell-camping newbie zone greens just zoning in for your faction, so you start just ignoring everyone, everywhere, until you just don't log in anymore.
    ArcaneCognition and Valgrim like this.
  13. Gillymann Abusive Relationships Aren't Healthy. J S.

I agree with your assessment about the viability of this server - it isn't.

The "Not To Be Named Title" coming out in 2019 or 2020, is trying to again, create a viable pve/pvp environment, but, that game has been designed and built from the ground up with pvp at its core (not an add-on or after thought). They've got adequate funding and a boat load of dev talent, and even then, I'm uncertain as to whether they can actually pull it off. I hope they can, just have to see.

At some point, DBG is gonna have to realize (imo), that they're going to have to develop something new, something different, and something better, and that to do that, they're going to have to start asking their customers what THEY want, and THEN build it, and build it well.

I'm skeptical they will do that, however. Just not how this company operates.
    ArcaneCognition and Rhodris like this.
  14. Gillymann Abusive Relationships Aren't Healthy. J S.

I felt I should clarify my post above.

I do believe DBG can make a special events server like this work, but to do it, they're gonna have to minimize or eliminate large imbalances of character power caused by levels and itemization. I also believe faction is much better than ffa.

All that being said, if DBG is looking at this to test some kind of unoccupied niche, umm, no.
    Siren likes this.
  15. ArcaneCognition New Member

i don't think classes need to be nerfed as i've seen suggested in this threrad. casters with pets have pretty much 0 hit points, so their pets are their armor class. people don't like the mezz, well that's the enchanters calling card. you sure do like chain mezz when dungeon crawling and ganged up on. personally i wish i had made an enchanter at the start i might have had a much more enjoyable time. i am a warlock, and got hit by melee who could sneak hide after they hit you and you couldn't get a hit back. but also i didn't know i had level 10 spells, or money on me to be stolen when i arrived at the island cause i was used to being level 1 on starting things. if pets get nerfed, i want mele armor nerfed so they have no hit points too to even the playing field. every class has it's strengths and weaknesses. i wiped my character and remade her so i could have money after newbie island went non pvp. and why not, i was getting slammed by orange and reds all the time when out in the world, i would respawn and they would try to get me before i could get back inside qeynos. so no point of fighting back, they were too high level for that anyway, and too many to waste my time trying. wiping was easy. but i think 3 months is a better time. i think this whole experiment needs a reboot, and i wonder if the players will come back. cause thursday the place was hopping mad, you couldn't go anywhere without seeing a ton of people, and sunday you had an entire zone to yourself for hours.
  16. Flightrisk Well-Known Member

reading the above posts, I see a lot of folks referring back to the old pvp servers and saying they want it done That way!!

Stop That ! it won't help in this instance. For what should be an obvious reason, Its not the same people playing .. even if its the same people playing . no one stays the same in a 5 to 10 year span, we all change unless we are dead, and
    I'm not, dead that is.

Leveling isn't bad thing but for this seasonal server with the rule set as it is now it would be a good thought to start everyone at cap, and go from there .

Or better thought , have it in set periods the first month being pve only as a gearing and leveling period then go to battle royal rules for the second month and let the players duke it out for 3 weeks , with a one week pause in pvp rules to allow players to once again do some leveling and gearing touch ups before the final month of pvp carnage and prizes to finalize the run . for that the exp gains for pve and tradeskills would need to reflect the length of time the server will be 'alive' , i'd put the adventure exp and ts exp gains at a point that someone could conceivably reach cap in the one month starter period , with some effort .

starting at cap i think is the less good idea in this as it still won't fix the fact that there still wont be an viable infrastructure for the players to tap into.The games infrastructure comes from players questing , crafting and killing mobs for loot and then putting the resulting items on the broker for exchange to other players.

killing new players fresh off the creation screen gives no viable loot , even if you roll them for the 5plat they currently have, why? why take the plats When There is NOTHING to buy with them ? new players have no loot , a player you kill while they are fighting a mob... will not have loot either .

with no loot there is no support items to improve the character if there is no way to improve to be able to stand up to the zerg groups .. the new people leave .. and pvp is done .

to be honest if I were the dev in charge of this , I'd post any and all changes in every possible spot , so that those who got chased off by the bully's see the changes and will at least have the information needed to consider trying it again.
    A server roll back or wipe wouldn't be out of order on this , that's if there are programing changes that would help .
    Gillymann likes this.
  17. Gillymann Abusive Relationships Aren't Healthy. J S.

The issue with this server concept (imo) is you are taking the primary feature that makes BR environments work (equalized character power) and negating it by importing what makes pve systems work (escelating character power).

This has always been the problem with trying to create a balanced pve/pvp environment, and it's why I'm not optimistic this server (as it is now) or or any similar development projects born of it have much of a future.

For myself, I would have been happy if the had just level capped at 30 or so, allowed people to build out aa's, kept factions/exiles, and then provided fun dalys, weeklys, events, etc for funzie prestige fluff.

This server, as a new concept doesn't work because the two kinds of systems don't work together.
    Rhodris and Siren like this.
  18. Durzo New Member

Hi Guys,
    Just thought I'd give my feedback after having played the BETA the last few days.

For context: I am UK (GMT) based and play solo for 95% of the time. Overall, I've had really good fun playing my Troub (now Level 21) and I thank the devs for giving this a shot.

Fame System
    This is an interesting one. Of course a lot of this depends on dev resources and what they can (and cannot) do, but even some minor tweaks to the fame system could help reduce ganking and help new (or casual) players to get in to the game...Perhaps the devs could consider implementing:

- Fame loss for anyone who kills someone on recent (unless they are attacked first)
    - Fame loss for slayer or above ranked players killing non-ranked players (no fame loss if they are attacked first)

Balance
    Overall, from my expierence, I have found the classes to be fairly balanced. I understand that Shaman's probably need a bit of love and that summoners might need a bit of a nerf (a necro was able to stifle me for ages -- pet spell?).

Some CC effects need to be looked at but it's nothing that can't be fixed. As a Troub, I have found it rather bemusing that my 'super cool' level 20 spell provides a 3.7 second charm in PvP and takes 2.5 seconds to cast! I would like my charm to last a little longer please Mr Dev!

Regarding Charm making players attack heroics...Perhaps (if possible) limit the charm for pvp so that you can only make players attack either 1) other players or 2) non-heroic PVE targets?

PVE / Crafting
    I won't linger too much on this one as I agree with what everyone has been saying. PvE XP needs to be increased along with crafting XP. It is daft to undermine the incredible PvE content that EQ2 has to offer. PvE benefits PvP. It incentivises people to run through dungeons for gear and xp (to make themselves competitive) and makes the PvP battleground more diverse instead of people running through the same overland zones trying to find players to kill.

Mini Dings
    I understand that for group vs group pvp this is incredibly frustrating and really needs to be addressed by the devs. I heard someone make a suggestion in chat the other day about storing experience collected during a fight and then applying it after combat ends which could be a good solution.

FFA
    I see that there are some people concerned about the idea of FFA. I understand that there are problems with FFA and I hope some of them can be addressed by the devs but overall I really like having FFA PvP. Of course, we would all like to have faction based PvP like in the good ol' days but it doesn't look likely that we will have the population to support this in the long term. I suppose you could argue that exiling (which I would do) could be the answer...which I recognise, but not everyone is going to be willing to do this. This leaves the factioned players with fewer targets, which, later down the road, could cause the population to drop off. But I will say that I am open to faction based PvP if there is a healthy enough population to support it.

PvP Beta - Misc
    I echo what some others have said in that the BETA needs to continue until we get to a point where we have overcome the most glaring issues which would put people off from playing. We are only going to get one more shot at this so the game must be in a good state for launch otherwise it has no chance of surviving.

I think the one character slot is a good idea but I am not sure about the temporal nature of this 'event server' as EQ2 doesn't lend itself to that sort of play...if a healthy population can be maintained, this would not be necessary.
    mercenery, ArcaneCognition and Raeven like this.
  19. Arkaynon New Member

This is my feedback for the time being.

Nagafen should be a full time server. Season's should last roughly 6 months give or take and all Characters should be permanent. I agree with the 1 toon per account however that being said we should not have to restart every season. Their is a lot of work put into these character with leveling AA's once they are available, crafting and so on. People should be able to see pvp stats (kill to death ratio) by typing /pvp. However their should be another option like /pvpseason which could show your season stats as well.

Something else that needs to be fixed is the immunity when someone either dies or scouts evac. It should be like it use to be and you are immune until A. you leave the area where you spawn or B. move your character. Their is no reason why the immunity timer should start the moment you rez just so you get ganked once again with rez sickness.

Also like most people are saying PVE xp should be tuned up a little and also crafting XP should be increased.

And I don't really agree with the FFA PVP tbh. This should be Q's vs Freeps vs Exiles. What I think DBG should probably do is add some kinda system where either Q's or Freeps get some sort of bonus for the side that has lower population. Either it be increased stats, increased xp gain or something around those lines. However that being said it should only be for either the Queynos side or Freeport. If you choose to go Exile, well you are SOL.

Also for the end of the season it shouldn't be only the people with the best PVP kill or what ever. It should be class based to give all classes a chance to be on the leaderboard.
    ArcaneCognition, Raeven and Siren like this.
  20. Arkaynon New Member

I'd also like to add that racials with track should not track players like it use to. By doing that the only thing you'll find are Kerra's and Woodelves.

And also to stop the ganking anyone who is on your recent list should not allow any xp or infamy or status earned.
    mercenery and Raeven like this.