Nagafen Beta Server Wipes

Discussion in 'Test Server Forum' started by Minko, Feb 7, 2019.

1. Minko New Member

Looking to get a general consensus on how people feel about the 3 month server lifespan.

I for one would rather a server wipe either every 6 months or once a year. Helps prevent
    currency inflation and over-geared toons, but I feel like 3 months is too short, especially as
    the level cap goes up and it takes longer to hit cap.
  2. Xeuvieme New Member

I do not think Paladins have a charm spell, and last I had checked Insidious Whipser was a Shadowknight skill
    Siren likes this.
  3. Malahk Active Member

Nice relevant reply here.

As for what the OP asked: I hate it. 3 months is ridiculous.
  4. Gankednshanked Active Member

Originally was severely opposed to the idea. Now, I'm indifferent.

It could work, but it would basically be like playing TLE and then killing characters after 3 months. A part of me wouldn't mind that, because I'm cool with a fresh start. However, people would not want to invest time into their characters. So you have to do one or a few things.

1) Make access to gear/items is easily obtainable. This goes against the basic philosophy of this game, but it would be how you make this work. You would have to enable PvP gear, but you would have to find a way to get people to not just fight on docks somewhere.
    2) Reduce/Increase the timeline. If you set the timeline to 1 week/expac, put people at level 50 to start, and give them some decent gear, people might be more interested. No real investment, they just get to go PVP. I'm not super interested in this either, but it's a possible solution and very fast-paced.

If you put the timeline at 6months/1year, people might be more interested in investing in their characters, but we all saw how TLE PVP worked out, so this probably wouldn't work.

The more I write about this the more I realize that it's not even an issue at the forefront. The game currently isn't fun due to the system that's in place and it has nothing to do with them deciding to delete our characters after 3 months.
    ArcaneCognition and Siren like this.
  5. Minko New Member

It's a solution, but getting people to not fight on the docks in a massive sprawl is the hard part aha. Plus I don't agree much with losing out on more than half the game just for a little bit of pvp. Wouldn't be any economy either outside of maybe totems and food.

As for this one, I don't think I'd enjoy that very much either it would burn out after a day or two from people running around in zerg groups I think and people who don't run around in x2s x3s would stop playing.

In regards to the TLEs I feel like they are actively making more changes this time around, I didn't play the TLE much the blue stats killed it for me. Like you said it's all about making people feel like the investment is worth it. I'd feel like my time was a lot less wasted with 1 wipe per year as opposed to 4 of them with short intermissions.

That said it seems like they really want this to succeed as much as I want it to. Even from the start this server felt much better than the TLEs in my opinion so we're getting somewhere.

Also, how do you put arrows in your quotes??
  6. Rutaq New Member

How about after 3 months the characters are transferred onto a non season PvP server that is locked at the last expansion seen on the previous Season Event Server. People can continue to build out their characters and play the HUGE amount of content they couldn't even scratch during the 3 month life cycle of the event. There is no real wipe so you don't lose the time you invested, you can show off your title play other parts of the game you missed during the event and of course make a new character to jump in the next season event PvP server that will likely have further expansions , higher levels and new leader boards to dominate.

This system would help leverage the base EQ2 game better:

1) The event seasons give a new chance to dominate and build up you pvp guild / squad. Everything starts over so you get to hit the ground running and compete on a somewhat level playing field.

2) If you want to stay on the cutting edge with the highest character possible then you would want to keep running the next Event Server which would unlocked the next set of expansion months before they would come out on the Non Seasonal Server.

3) The work you put into your character isn't lost after the event and you would have time on the proposed non seasonal server to play out some less hyper focused PvP mixed with PvE, Dungeons, Raiding, Crafting, Collecting ,etc..

4) Since you "merge" off the Seasonal Server, even folks that aren't die hard FFA PvPers will have an incentive to play the season to get a leg up on gear, resources, and higher level characters that would join their guilds, groups on the non seasonal

server.

The EQ2 player base isn't huge and it is uncertain that going with a single solution; Hyper focused FFA PvP or old style Nagafen PvP server would keep enough players engaged to be financially successful. This solution at least have as chance to appeal to a wider audience and can leverage the same development work around PvP balancing of classes, items, etc...
  7. Finora Well-Known Member

Is there any indication that they are planning to make everyone start from 1 every server reset?

They don't HAVE to do that. They can have everyone start at the level cap from the last round after the server wipe. Say original content you'd start at 1 and have to level to 50. Then if DOF released and there was a server wipe but instead of starting at 1 again and having to level to 60, you'd start at 50 (or 45 or something else like that). They've done that before.

In this situation it would reset the power balance with gear and coin, but keep everyone fairly close in the leveling game as expansions release.