Mystic vs Fury

Discussion in 'General Priest Discussion' started by ARCHIVED-Zetch, Nov 1, 2010.

1. ARCHIVED-Zetch Guest

Hey all you Priests, I have been thinking lately and decided I want to roll out one as well so that I could cover 3 different rolls (assassin for dps, SK for tank, and ??? for heal). After reviewing the classes, I really think that I would enjoy either a Mystic or Fury most. My main question is...which one can deal more damage? I do want to play the roll of a healer, but I cannot stand to not be dealing at least a decent amount of damage. Pretty much why I went with the most damaging class in game with the most damaging tank in the game. Same for healer. I prefer melee combat most if that matters, and I had heard that Warden and Inq were good too, but it seems there are already so many of those that a Fury or especially Mystic might be more in demand. Although I am mainly thinking of Mystic or Fury though, I wouldn't rule out Warden or Inq if the damage for either was considerably better.

Let's also put in which one is best with top notch gear and then which is best with average gear as that could matter to me a bit. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!
  2. ARCHIVED-kcirrot Guest

A Fury will do considerably more damage when played well and can do a decent amount of damage while still healing since we get a buff that procs damage on our beneficial spells. A Fury is more like a Sorceror than a melee. I've tried melee specs for laughs, but it just doesn't hold a candle to spell DPS. Our guilds best Fury can usually outdamage the Summoners and Enchanters, especially on AoE encounters and I'm not far behind him (I usually do about as well as those classes).
    As I understand it, Mystics can do a credible job in melee given that their EoF line allows them to turn their spells into combat arts. But I'll let those with more experience tell you about that.
  3. ARCHIVED-Zetch Guest

Hmm alright. If Fury wins in damage vs a mystic, how about a Fury vs an Inq and a Warden in damage?
  4. ARCHIVED-Ferunnia Guest

Fury > All healers in AoE fights. Any other dps priest can beat them in single target dps considering equal skill/gear. End of story.
  5. ARCHIVED-Zetch Guest

I have nearly narrowed it down now to Mystic or Inq. I tried out Fury and although it was sorta fun, I dunno...it just didn't really feel right when I was playing it I guess you could say? So for Mystic and Inq, I know both use melee damage primarily. What are the advantages and disadvantages to each would you guys say?
  6. ARCHIVED-kcirrot Guest

Elhonna@Blackburrow wrote:
    I would agree that an Inquisitor or a Warden can equal or slightly exceed Fury ST DPS. The rest, no chance in hell. And in AoE, it's not even close. The mages look at us funny when the parses go up on AoE fights!
  7. ARCHIVED-kcirrot Guest

Zetch wrote:
    If it were me, I would go Inquisitor. Awesome survivability and melee DPS. Near tank levels of mitigation. But again, I'm no expert in Mystics.
    By the way, how far did you get on that Fury?
  8. ARCHIVED-Sanser Guest

furies from 1-19 are meh, 20-24 is when they start to become purtee awsome, imo
  9. ARCHIVED-kcirrot Guest

Magnis@Nagafen wrote:
    Yup.
  10. ARCHIVED-Tigress Guest

too bad that you gave up on the fury, its a lot of fun, does a lot of damange, solos well and heals well in groups. it get this fantastic nukey-like AOE spell ring of fire, too. anyway....
    mystic/defiler have super duper long casting times for their wards and heals. since your primary goal in a group will be to ward/heal, that's going to prevent you from doing your DPS. they do have an AA line that improves the casting speed but that just reduces it from super duper long casting times to long casting times. also, if picking btwn the shamans, the deilfer is better for DPS than the mystic; however, they both have the same super duper long casting times for their wards/heals. since you want to DPS, i'd recommend against the mystic.
    the inquisitor is good and does a lot of melee damage. my inquisitor has only made it to level 25 but so far, so good. its harder to judge a class below 30, though, so perhaps someone with more experience can chime in.
    when you are a priest, though, you must remember to heal first and DPS second when in groups.
  11. ARCHIVED-Zetch Guest

Ok...you guys were all right, got a bit farther on Fury and now I absolutely love it, thanks for telling me it get's more fun later lol. It's pretty much the exact priest I had in mind when thinking to be one. So I am pretty sure I am going to roll with one now. I know most of my damage will come from spells but are they even a couple melee attacks I can grab from the AA trees that would be worth it even a little? Yes, I know I need to heal first dps later lol. That's just what I want for now, be a healer and then deal some secondary dps once all the group members are in good shape.
    I am just working on having 4 characters max (as if I had more they wouldn't all get played.) I now have Fury for healing, SK or Pally for tanking (undecided) and Assassin for DPS. Any other roles that are in demand I maybe should have for my 4th slot? Little off topic question but I might as well ask since I figured out my first question hehe.
  12. ARCHIVED-Tigress Guest

yes, the melee attacks are worth it. i have one in each line; however, did not max them. (i only put one in each to star the line.) it makes it so i can attack constantly when i am solo.
  13. ARCHIVED-Ferunnia Guest

Here's a post where I give a bit of a breakdown on using our DPS abilities to their fullest. http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/...topic_id=488705 Check eq2flames for AA help under the sticky. Send me a tell at blackburrow.elhonna if you need anything else. I'm on Sundays, then Tuesday-Thursday every week from a minimum of 7-11cst on Sun and 8-11cst the other days.
  14. ARCHIVED-Zetch Guest

Oh ok thanks very much. Last question, what is the best type of weapon to use as a Fury? I know they can use a few different ones so...
  15. ARCHIVED-Ferunnia Guest

Whatever the best one you can find is...to be honest it depends on if you are a meleeing fury. If you aren't, go with a 1-h weapon and a shield or symbol...shield for soloing is good to have, but your single target DPS will suffer if you're using a light hitting weapon. It's all up to you, really.
  16. ARCHIVED-Oakum Guest

Just something to think about too.
    If you plan on using it to feel in for a raid gap for if for raiding at all, then the mystic or inquisitor may be more useful in the end. The fury is pretty much relagated to the mage group and only put in others unless they actually need 3 healers in the MT group and a warden is not available or they are short on healers all together. For group healing, shaman have it easiest followed by clerics and then druids. Some people are heisitant to ask furys to solo heal groups from experiences with fury's who were dpsing when they should have been healing.
    Any druid is going to have more damage "spikes" in the MT/group health but will get the health up faster then a shaman or cleric generally can. Two unlucky big hits in a row can also cause a quick MT death but if you have a good group, you/they can root/mez/fear the mobs, rez the tank and recover quite a bit of the time.
    Another advantage of the fury is the ports too for doing multiple zone quests when leveling.