Mystic and Ascension Class

Discussion in 'Priests' started by Rebelde, Jul 24, 2018.

1. Rebelde Active Member

Hello,
    I'm a new Mystic and I was thinking about take Thaumaturgic as my ascension class, but I saw that a lot of mystics are elementalist. Why? Maybe Wendigo-Pact of the Fire Tyrant or what?
    Thank you very much ;)
  2. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

Well, read what the Ascensions do.

Thaumaturge abilities increase disease damage and some have nice debuffs that pair well with a shaman's already nice collection of debuff spells. The Mystic's Wrath of the Ancients is a disease-based AOE, so an Ascension that increases disease damagae before using it would work well. Tainted Mutation is both a debuff and works much like the inquisitor's Verdict.

Elementalist abilities increase elemental damage and some deal cold direct damage. The Mystic's Velium Winds and Glacial Flames are cold-based and benefit.

If you are soloing, and just want more DPS, I'd think Etherealist would be a better pick. But if you're grouping, I'm thinking that Thaumaturge would be your best bet.
    Rebelde likes this.
  3. CoLD MeTaL Well-Known Member

Yeah, Pact of the Fire Tyrant, Fervor bump can be huge. At raiding levels it probably can be offset with gear.
    Rebelde likes this.
  4. Sentrasia Well-Known Member

As a mystic I'd only ever run one of two ascensions.

If you intend to raid at all then go Thaum. If you don't then go Eth.

Thaum is by far the highest damage in raid once the Ascs are upgraded. However, they are dot based and have long recasts, so, on short heroic fights they loose some of their damage. Still okay in heroics but not nearly as good.

On the other hand etherealist is all about burst damage and works great in heroics but you'll do less damage than a thaum in raids.

It's a waste to run elementalist as a mystic. The fervor increase on the later ascension spells is to abilities that are naturally elemental. Mystics have a whole two spells/ca's that are cold damage and they do next to no DPS.

Chances are as a mystic you're not going to want to run Pact either. Remember pact prevents you from being warded and that's mystics primary healing method. They do not get cheat heals on their wards like defilers either; nor do they get nightmare/maelstrom for hots.

You could keep torpor on yourself, which would work on **** fights where Pact makes no difference anyway, but on any significant fight you'll spend more time healing yourself than DPSing because torpor is not enough.

Then you also don't have torpor free for the DPS that are running Pact.

Most shamans that remain elementalist are still eles because they were eles in KA and it's pretty pricey to swap ascs if you've got one that's already GM/Ancient. That or they're in their guilds GF rotation.

As for Geo... just no. So much nope.

Note: Thaum vs. Eth damage in raids depends a lot on raid force make up/balance of Asc classes, kill times and can vary between different bosses. But, overall: Thaum>Eth in raid for DPS.
    Mindsway, Karsa, Rebelde and 2 others like this.
  5. Rebelde Active Member

Thank you very much for the answers ;D
  6. Karsa Active Member

[quote="Sentrasia, post: 6515005, member: 709871"
    The fervor increase on the later ascension spells is to abilities that are naturally elemental. Mystics have a whole two spells/ca's that are cold damage and they do next to no DPS..[/quote]

I heard a rumor that the fervor increase on the later ascension spells does apply to elementalist abilities like scorched earth, fiery incineration, etc. not sure if that is true have not had chance to test that. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

7. Sentrasia Well-Known Member

Correct, it does not affect ascs only profession spells/ca's.