My only two complaints about necros (pets, really)

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by ARCHIVED-Azerov, Dec 2, 2004.

1. ARCHIVED-Azerov Guest

First:

I'm sure you've all seen this - you're standing a little ways from a mob, and you send your pet in to engage and get some aggro. Pet hits the mob, and the mob moves a little to engage the pet. Now the pet says, 'hey I'm not where I want to be to fight this', and moves again to engage the mob. Mob says 'hey this thing is moving, I'd better move to engage' etc etc, and they take off in one direction, cascading after eachother. I've got some methods of dealing with this now (petrify, immobilize, nuke first pet second, etc), but it really shouldn't work this way. Anyone have a better method of avoiding this problem?

Second:

Sometimes my pet just engages, and doesn't attack! I wait a while, watching for damage on the mob, but see none (pet is getting hit). If I tell him to back off and attack again, he starts working properly again. If I'm not paying close enough attention though, and lay on a couple dots after a few seconds of engagement, I often have to run - even if I back him off and tell him to attack again at this point, it's pretty unlikely he'll be able to get aggro from me. Stun helps, rooting and backing up helps, but both of these things add to aggro as well.

Other than these two things, I'm pretty happy as a necro.

Osso
    24 Necromancer
    Mistmoore, Freeport
  2. ARCHIVED-Solistari Guest

Same thing happens to me. I bet they will fix this eventually. I do feel the pets are buggy at this point. I can send in the pet to attack a mob that is far off...and before he gets close to it...I can tell him to back off or follow me. He starts to come back...but he keeps heading for the target. Sometimes it's a fight to control the pet. Also it would be nice to have a "stick to your target no matter what" command. Something hits me and he's off the target that I want him on. Sometimes this gets tough in groups and working with a 'chanter.

The pet is a big part of what we are about. I think that if they don't make pet control tight...then there will be a "no pet" rule on raids like in EQ1. Would be nice if they could never break mez (I think I heard that was added to EQ1).
  3. ARCHIVED-Urguwno Guest

Great summary. Those are some major issues and oh-so-easy to repro. I hope they get them fixed.

I'm having problems getting my pet to assist the main tank in combat. When I have the tank targeted and tell my pet to attack, it tells me something to the effect of "not an enemy".

It's perhaps just annoying but my pet is always in front of my when I zone. It'd be nice to have the pet spawn to my side so I don't have to run around it every time.

Sometimes attempting to run directly into my pet results in my character making a sharp instant 90 degree turn to the left or right. This also happens when I run into other small stationary objects like the tradeskill harvests, but is most prominent with my pet. This sharp turn has almost killed me a couple of times.
  4. ARCHIVED-Myros Guest

Aye the dancing pet syndrome hehe, pretty anoying. Once they start doign this I usualy give me pet a back off command, this will sometimes reset it and it will re-engage on its own.

As far as the pet giving the "cannot attack this target" type feedback. This just mean that either 1. The tank hasnt picked up a new target or 2. He has also targeted another player (ie the healer) in order to get a line on that persons target or attacker. I keep an /assist macro on my bar for this just to check what the tanks target currently is. So if hes currently targeting the healer to assist with an agro pickup, I can click the assist button twice to get to the real target (one click shifts to the healer, the next to his attacker ... or just give the tank a few extra seconds to get his targets sorted and your good to go).

Shad
    Message Edited by Myros on 12-03-2004 07:56 AM
  5. ARCHIVED-Szsn Guest

As far as the dancing pets are concerned, I've found that this usually happens when i send my pet in to attack while the mob is in motion. I've found that if i wait for the mob to stop and become stationary, the dancing pet routine usually doesnt occur. This isnt a for sure thing, but it tends to decline the chance for this to happen for me at least. And yes, this shouldnt be the case for us but its a work around....for me at least...
    Message Edited by Szsn on 12-03-2004 11:30 AM
  6. ARCHIVED-Garad_Moonbeam Guest

Yes, I have gotten killed a couple of times due to the "pet dance". Its very obviously AI related - much the same as the way the pet reacts when you try to call it off and bring it back to you when this happens - it begins to follow directions, then takes damage and the AI has it turn to attack what damaaged it. This IS a valid issue with the pet classes and SHOULD be looked into.
  7. ARCHIVED-ekiander Guest

I think everyone has experienced the dancing pet and the can't see target bugs. A few things that annoy me is that the pet has a mind of it's own. It automatically attacks anything that hits it, so it's impossible to back off. It will also switch targets from the mob I told it to fight to the other and it's impossible to get it back on the other.

I would also like to see an AOE taunt for the pet. That would be my #1 request for pets.
  8. ARCHIVED-Audio Guest

I just usually target the original mob it was fighting and tell it to attack again until it turns around. Seems to work for me.
  9. ARCHIVED-Gargamel Guest

10. ARCHIVED-Gargamel Guest

11. ARCHIVED-Xxithsiss Guest

What I do when this happens is to tell the pet to back off. 95% of the time he wil stop turn as if to come back, the MOB will hit him then they engage in that spot. If they start dancing again, which is rare, I just hit back again. Though its a pain, the up side to this is by the time they stop my pet has agro pretty well =P

Criimson
    Lavastorm
  12. ARCHIVED-reefus Guest

im givning soe something like 13 more hours to fix this b4 buhbye.
    its not like this is new, its not like it is hard to recreate.
  13. ARCHIVED-Ggiirr Guest

Bi Bi reefus, your constant complaints and lack of respect for others wont be missed!

And everyone else, remember, this is a brand new game, give it time to get everything worked out. Sony is only human, and its impossible to get everything right the first time....
  14. ARCHIVED-reefus Guest

bi bi ggiirr, your 1 post wont be missed

and everyone remeber this has been in since beta and has beend /bug'd a billiion times. keep giiving them your money for a broken class, im sure they will work everything out. sony is only a multi-billion dollar company, its impossible to get pet pathing working right the first thru 100'th time.......

tools UNITE!!!
  15. ARCHIVED-Handlebars Guest

You forget that many game programmers work like 70 hours a week or more on the games. They won't fix every little thing right when it gets /bugged. Other people have lives to not just to please you.
  16. ARCHIVED-Urguwno Guest

I recently found that clicking the "Stay" button works 100% of the time to stop the pet dancing syndrome. This is the green one with the anchor icon.
  17. ARCHIVED-reefus Guest

dood r u an SoE employee er sumthing??

THIS ISNT SOMETHING LITTLE

our pets being broke is not some small issue and its attitudes like yours and complacency like yours that will leave bugs like this in the game too long.

my pet dancing all over with a mob im trying to solo IS NOT SOME SMALL ISSUE SoE should be looking over. if there were no agro mobs maybe but still.......

imagine if this was happening to every class when soloing. i bet you wouldnt be calling it a "little thing" then would you??

imagine if every time a healer healed themselves when solo'n the mob went running around all crazy like. imagine if everytime a bruiser use a special attack, the mob went running all over the place. imagine if.... oh wait you dont have the ability to put yourself in others shoes... if you could you mighht actually see where myself and the numerous other summoners are coming from.

our pets are our livelyhood when solo'n. the fact that they have been broke since beta and continue to be is very unacceptable, i dont see how you fail to realize this. Maybe you dont solo.
  18. ARCHIVED-Hidohebhi Guest

I do however, and I wish I could put myself in yours and walk em out the door. Other summoners, myself included, are being patient. Oh and grouping too. I have never even used my lfg tag once since I started playing (since release). Maybe it's a personality thing. Try relaxing.
  19. ARCHIVED-reefus Guest

dude **mods 4 teh win!!1!** are you smoking??

bragging about not using your LFG tag since release like its a good thing...like people just invite you to the group kuz the know yyour ubah....please. thats probably why you know nothing about the pains of summoners. you either duo or trio, dont get random groups, dont group with an enc (saying your group loves seism i a very big indicator of that) and overall dont know how to play.

i have such a bad personality that 2 of my guildies dropped their EXP groups to help me with AQ6...i have such a bad personality, ive been invited to join 3 different guilds (im staying loyal to my first one) same AQ6 group the healer that helped helped because i help her with her AQ2, totaly forgot her name, but she didnt forget mine when i asked for help.

making assumtions like because my nec is only 56 in EQ i have no idea of high end game...HE WAS MY ALT. assumtion begins with three letters that i think suit you rather well.

i'd understand if i were in the minority here, thinking necs are bad and buggeg, but looking over the summoner forums, i clearly see that that is not the case, you and your flameanybodywhodoesntlovenecs buddy handlebars are acutally in the minority

THE END MM'KAY
  20. ARCHIVED-Hidohebhi Guest

I see you take the bait again. I have read and re-read all your posts. Why do you think people don't want to hear from you? Calm the attitude dude, you are just antagonising ppl. Personal attacks are crass (the last 3 letters you are familiar with you say). No one is doubting that necros are buggy. I agree that there are some problems, most people are patient enough to wait till they are fixed instead of trolling every post to do with something remotely wrong with necros. What I and I believe handlebars object to is your "necros suck so bad" comments in the Summoner, Necro, Combat, and other forums.

I haven't used my LFG tag cuz I don't have a problem with people, not because I am uber (I'm not trust me).
    You started a personal flame war, I responded. Oh and the 56 necro comment...I lived through all the levels of EQ1 and all the associated bugs and fixes that went along with that, as my Primary. In spite of the necro being bugged, I had the patience to wait out the devs till they fixed it and posted constructive ideas about how to do it when possible. That is why I bring it up. The end game as a NECRO in EQ1 is a far different world that the pre-60. You are not in the minority, your attitude is. Oh and I'm glad you are so popular on najena, so why again do you have trouble finding a group? One last comment, if I like the DPS of Seism, why does that mean I don't know how to play? Explain please. Grouped we usually AoE and tank/off-tank, kill fast, rinse-repeat. Blues and Whites for the fastest group xp. I solo too, different style, white and up solo mobs, some blue and lower group mobs. I change my style accordingly. I do miss the uber-xp from soloing in EQ1 (PoS frogs, etc) but this is a new game, new styles. Group XP is so much better than solo in Eq2 that I am making an EFFORT to group, soloing/duoing is for the slow nights or when I don't have much time. Explain to me why I shouldn't like Seism if I'm grouped with a chanter. Why the hell would I AoE with a chanter? Did I say I did? Am I such a n00b I would break mezz with AoE or not /assist the MA or SA? Don't assume someone is a n00b unless you know and don't make me read more whiny threads. They make my eyes bleed.