My Fish Aquarium!

Discussion in 'Norrathian Homeshow' started by ARCHIVED-LadyVader, Nov 29, 2007.

1. ARCHIVED-Barq Bandit Guest

Funny you mention Ultima Online. I just spotted this comic as I was flipping through Real Life, and thought I'd come back to this thread and share. :D
    [IMG]
  2. ARCHIVED-Nagasraka Guest

I tried to go with a simplified idea. I relied on lighting and harmonious bonsai trees to give a more subtle illusion of water because I wasn't crazy about the distortion that the mystical mirror gave. I also wanted something I could walk all the way around without having to bulk up the design to hide those mirrors.

The flickering lights on the "roof" of the aquarium along with the gentle swaying of the bonsai trees gives it that slight appearance of water being there while still keeping the design basic. It looks much better in person when you can see the flickering and swaying effects. The lights are 8 vale briarwood candelabras raised into place from underneath until only the flames were sticking up through the table.

The only problem I've run into with this design so far is that there's almost too much light. I never thought I would say such a thing but in this case it's true. This aquarium gives off so much light that it makes the rest of the room pretty dark. It's a heck of a center piece for my storefront though!

[IMG]

[IMG]
  3. ARCHIVED-Sophie47 Guest

Shia
    Very nice, simple and at the same time dramatic. May have to borrow this one. :)
  4. ARCHIVED-Nagasraka Guest

Thanks! I'm really happy with how it came out.
  5. ARCHIVED-Sophie47 Guest

Here are two of the tanks in my girls houses--one you have already seen and the other is a spin off of Shia's design.
    My poor little evil girl only had one tree to work with and being so short had to take a long shot to capture the tank.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    *edit--updated picture*
  6. ARCHIVED-Lisabethy Guest

What a darling little room! I'd love to see the rest of your house as well :)
  7. ARCHIVED-Rayhven Guest

First attempt, might go bigger =)
    [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG]
  8. ARCHIVED-sassafras Guest

These are all great, but I'm curious. Where do the rocks come from? It's the only thing I don't recognize. Hoping to be able to post my own soon.
  9. ARCHIVED-Seidhkona Guest

Vinh@Unrest wrote:
    They are carpenter-crafted alabaster and marble eggs I think.
  10. ARCHIVED-Seidhkona Guest

Thanks to everyone's fabulous ideas, I finally installed my own fish tank and I love it!

[IMG]
  11. ARCHIVED-sassafras Guest

Sigrdrifa@Lucan DLere wrote:
    I'm pretty sure I know what the eggs look like, unless they are being turned a certain way. The rocks I'm referring to appear in the OP and several other images, not just the previous one. The one's I do not know show up alot in Sophie's Aquarium, next to both bonsais.
  12. ARCHIVED-Seidhkona Guest

Vinh@Unrest wrote:
    Ah - those are the rocks in the base of the bonsai tree planter. The Tranquil Bonsai comes in a rectangular pot that has the tree on one end and the rocks on the other:

[IMG]
  13. ARCHIVED-sassafras Guest

Yeah, silly me! I noticed it last night when I started to put together my own aquarium and grabbed my bonsai that has been sitting in my loft for months! /bonk Thanks though :)
    Too bad though, I was really hoping to incorporate rocks into my new bath, hehe
  14. ARCHIVED-Teircen Guest

Because diversity is a good thing... here's my version. Still playing with it a lot though so I'm sure it'll change yet. I just wanted something a bit taller then the ones using those very nice tables.
    [IMG]
    The main differences here being that I used the sandalwood platforms for the top and bottom and adamantine pillars for the supports. I kind of like the way the pillars have a wispy strand around them. They're probably supposed to be cobwebs but they look sort of seaweed-like too, enough for my purposes here. The still shot doesn't show it but I used Mavaerik's Bath in the background to create a rippling water effect behind the fish. I didn't like the way the watery "mirror" in front obscured the vision too much and I definitely wanted to make use of the water effects from the game.
    I also opted for the harmonious bonsai rather then the other one. Generally speaking I like the other bonsai tree better but I liked how the harmonius one shifts a little. I've always thought it looked like it was breathing or something for some odd reason but in a fishtank it sort of adds to the illusion that there's motion from the water that should be there.
    And I used some of the flickering light sources above it so the light and shadow would move a bit. Still not quite motion but every bit helps particularly with our fish that are eternally standing still. :)
    The house has a lot of other things in it too but I'm more designer and carpenter then adventurer so it'll never be "done". Parts are constantly being changed around to play with ideas. Feel free to stop by and leave feedback, feedback is always good. 5 Erollisi Ln, SQ, Butcherblock Server.
  15. ARCHIVED-Jehanne Guest

Here's my interpretation. Not very original but it fits perfectly into the spot under the stairwell.
    [IMG]
  16. ARCHIVED-Obeshe Guest

All of these Aquariums are amazing! The creativity into these are outstanding! I thought wow, at level 32, I couldn't possibly have something that nice or cool in my One room apartment in Gorowyn. Well, I decided I would try. I think it came out pretty good. So, on a very very small budget, here is my aquarium. (www.geocities.com/kevdrummer/obeshe_fishtank.jpg)
    [IMG]
    Materials:
    6 Freeport Wooden Cabinets
    6 Pristine Small Sandworn Pillars
    2 Ornate Ferrite Tables
    3 Pristine Tin Sconces
    1 Fish Trophy
    1 Lucan Statue
    1 Bonsai Tree
    1 Vibrant Carnivorous Plant
    I wanted something that I could walk around instead of just against the wall. True aquarium. I also wanted a larger tank than what I was seeing. I thought the fish was too large to fit into the space between the top of the cabinet and the bottom of the table. So thats why the pillars are there. I started with 4 wooden cabinets, 2 deep by 2 wide. Placed the pillars on the corners and in the middle to support the ornate tables. Then I placed two cabinets on top in the middle of the tables. I placed the Bonsai "in" the cabinets along with the Carnivorous plant, which is "planted" within the cabinets... I say planted but thats only temporary. After all the plant is a pet so he doesn't stay there. The plant will get up and walk away and eventually try to eat the other pets in the room. /sigh But for the picture it cooperated and stayed still long enough for me to press the button. So thanks for the inspiration and hopefully this will give hope to the younger players who want to have some cool furniture in their own houses!
    By the way, here is what happens when the plant/pet decides to walk away... (www.geocities.com/kevdrummer/my_fishtank_2.jpg)

[IMG]
  17. ARCHIVED-sassafras Guest

very pretty, it's nice and clean. and I just love the gorowyn homes!
  18. ARCHIVED-Vinrauu_Pax Guest

I feel like SUCH a n00b! I did the quest and went to Gorowyn and didnt get a fishy in my mail =/ I will check it tomorrow =/
  19. ARCHIVED-Jazabelle Guest

Vinrauu_Pax wrote:
    Completing the quest chain isn't enough. When you finish the fisherman's quest, he mentions catching "Vethka the Gorger."

You have to stand there fishing, until you catch Vethka. Then you double click on it in your inventory, and it offers another quest, which you turn in to the fisherman. Then you go to Gorowyn and the fish appears in your mail. Hope that helps!
  20. ARCHIVED-SecrAtive Girl Guest

nothing original here. i just copied what the rest you did, but as i was glad to see what everyone put inside and around theirs, i'll just add this one i did for a friend . also i discovered that the holiday candles placed on the top there gave the tank just the right amount of lighting at night.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]