Multi threading the game?

Discussion in 'Test Server Forum' started by Airvh, Oct 9, 2018.

1. Airvh Active Member

I saw a thing on overclock3d.net about the WoW game getting updated to use Multi threading instead of being totally CPU based like EQ2 is. I'm just wondering if the Devs are ever going to do anything similar for Everquest 2? I've built up my computer system to run the game well enough (look at a previous post I did about it) but is everyone else sh88 outta luck for the game running good?

LINK:

https://www.overclock3d.net/news/so...f_warcraft_with_a_planned_directx_12_update/1
  2. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

At this point in time, the team at Daybreak is so tiny that I cannot see any engine updates happening.
  3. CoLD MeTaL Well-Known Member

that would be an almost entire re-engineering of the code base. Hope you get it!
  4. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

Quite a while back, Sony hired devs to try to adapt the game engine to using more of the GPU and to better make use of multicore architectures. Really, mostly what we got was GPU shadows.

They really need to write a new game engine from the ground up, optimized for modern architectures. Which would mean an EQ3 or some such, IF they ever commit to such a project. It's not a simple thing to do.