Multi-boxer, you better becareful.

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Maxee, Mar 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Terrius Well-Known Member

This is a very curious change, I'm not sure if the mentioned application has ever been truly "legit" but I do know that back in the day, as long as a person was attending the characters and not AFK botting you were generally okay. There are a few KVM applications out there that allow Key broadcasts from a single keyboard to multiple PCs, this was a nice way to handle 2 instances of the game. I'm curious if these type of application are now also unlawful? Also what about Gaming keyboards with macro keys?

Please also note that this is not "Automation" which is a poor word to use, it would be Replication as it is copying a keystroke and issuing it to both clients.

I'm not sure what dictionary you are using but that is not the definition of Illegal. You are looking for the word Unlawful not Illegal.

illegal
    Pronunciation: /ɪˈliːɡ(ə)l/

Definition of illegal in English:

adjective

Contrary to or forbidden by law, especially criminal law: illegal drugs

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/illegal

Usage

Illegal and unlawful have slightly different meanings, although they are often used interchangeably. Something that is illegal is against the law, whereas an unlawful act merely contravenes the rules that apply in a particular context. Thus handball in soccer is unlawful, but it is not illegal. A third word with a similar meaning is illicit: this tends to encompass things that are forbidden or disapproved of by custom or society, as in an illicit love affair.
    Gaealiege likes this.
  2. Mohee Active Member

Spot on. If it was against the rules to use IsBoxer (the program mentioned by name in the first post) then that surely would have been deleted from his post, or cause this entire thread to get deleted or locked long ago.

lol
    Lateana likes this.
  3. Mohee Active Member

And i'm pretty sure LogosZanta's post was entirely sarcastic :p
  4. Awkk Well-Known Member

What about AFK leveling with mercs? Many times, usually right after the expac comes out, I'll see a player standing still, right in the center of a group mob spawn point, while their merc kills the mobs every time they spawn. Come back the next day, the player is still there and has not moved at all. Sometimes 2 or 3 days later, they are still there, the merc killing the mobs every time they spawn, 24 hours a day.
    The player is leveling without being present at the keyboard, not just for hours, but for days at a time. Does it matter that they are using the game's mercs to let the game play itself, instead of an unauthorized third party program?
    Juraiya, Livejazz, Lateana and 2 others like this.
  5. Errrorr An Actual EQ2 Player

Wow this post escalated quick.

Willing to bet the OP was doing something that impacted upon other players, and is the reason why they ended up banned. Or doing something ridiculous like spamming the server with requests.

The 'Unofficial' SoE Policy always seemed with Multi-Gameplay was that as long as it didn't impact upon other players and cause disruption to their gameplay, they would look the other way.

Which made sense really. Keep the revenue from multiple accounts, while removing those who were causing upset/distress to those also paying for accounts. But it would never be officially stated like that.
    Atan, Feldon, Lateana and 1 other person like this.
  6. nergalisafreeportscrub Member

Ive been botting this game since 2010 I can tell you every single bot person who bots on Freeport and AB im friends with them all and know what program they use.. ive quit when I heard Sony sold To DB now I don't give a care if they all get banned or not... if any gms want to know there names,guild and each toon they play send me an inbox message.... this game is done anyway im just digging the sword a little deeper ;)
  7. Wanderingbat Active Member

I may sound like a moron here but I just had to enter my two cents. I don't understand how all these programs actually work but I know enough to be dangerous I guess. I have always had issues with boxers on a personal level due to some grouping issues where the boxer in group was not actually able to pay attention and play their classes properly getting the rest of us killed off because of it. pfft. that is a personal issue and really not what all this is about.

Secondly, has anyone here actually thought about the possibility that these programs interfere with the game process? I mean might there be a clash if so many are using it and cause gameplay for entire servers to have issues? And don't these programs open back end doors and weaken security? I am just wondering here. 3rd party code and EQ2 code might not really be companionable. /shrug
  8. Regolas Well-Known Member

Says it all really. You have obviously been using automation to kill group/raid mobs on your own and SLR to amass enough plat to devalue the economy significantly if it came out your bank.
    Juraiya, Wirewhisker and Gharyn like this.
  9. Xanumbik New Member

If ISBOXER is really banned it will shut EQ1 down that game exists on the backs of multiboxers. unless they have different rules for each game.while i disagree with merc afk playing it WAS supported on EQ1 not that long ago since you pay them to do a function the team at daybreak needs to be on the same page rule wise just saying.
  10. Aenile Member

Would be interesting to see the after effects of this. Population changes, income changes, guilds folding. Just wonder how much extra money people with more than one account bring the game. Definitely time to pull out the popcorn.
  11. Azian Well-Known Member

Just because something has flown under the radar doesn't mean it has not clearly been a violation of the EULA the entire time. I've never seen anyone prior to this thread trying to argue that using a program such as the OP referred to as being legit. Automation and replication are synonymous terms in this context. Having one key send multiple/different commands to multiple accounts via 3rd party software has never been acceptable.
    Afista, Wanderingbat, Alenna and 3 others like this.
  12. Azian Well-Known Member

Nah, most people understand that using 3rd party software to run the game to multiple accounts was not acceptable and that they were running the risk of suspension/ban just by doing so. I don't know a ton of players who multi-box but those I do used more than one machine usually and would manually control the 2nd toon with something like an N52TE or similar device that is nothing more than a glorified mouse/keyboard combo that you still have to manually click/hit buttons on to make function. In other words, no automation or replication taking place. I doubt this will have much in the way of negative consequences outside of the minority who chose to violate the EULA by doing it in the first place.
    Losadunai likes this.
  13. Zgragy Member

I play two characters at a time, using alt tab to swap between them, running two chars at a time gets messy. I tend to do the wrong thing at times with the wrong toon, it isn't easy but it helps when you can't find a group or need just a little help :). I hope you all don't think that is wrong in any way. I am actually playing them both, not using any automation etc. Why would they mind that, and for that matter why would you? Hope that some of the people on here are just trolling...
    Strings likes this.
  14. Voleur Member

Saying someone is a boxer or a botter doesn't make it true.
    Especially when the list of names comes from someone who is obviously dissatisfied with something and wants others to share in their lack of satisfaction... or, perhaps, dumping on their parade is your way of gaining satisfaction. From what I remember of your general chat spew, that wouldn't be entirely unlikely.

I could easily log in to a server, pick people in channel whose chat I don't like, and accuse them of being a botter.
    Or, I could watch auction channel. "Oh, you're doing SLR? Botter! Reporting!"
    Or... *flies around Tranquil Sea looking for nameds for the weeklies* "Ahha, I see one!" *lands* "Crud, someone else is got to it before I could! Botter!" - This actually happened to me, by the way. I landed, tagged and killed a named before someone else did. The rage tells were amusing.
    Wirewhisker likes this.
  15. Sure Active Member

Well this I find sort of funny, lately I have been thinking that it takes too long to form groups find class X at certain times of the day and certain zones become 10x easier for it and 10x faster. So I had been thinking it was time to resub additional accounts and maybe try boxing again, there has been no real need to box in EQ2for years, but with population dwindling, player motivation to do content and tolerance of one another at rock bottom and all, maybe it is time to start boxing more seriously than just /auto follow. DBG and SoE decisions that started well before the acquisition have just made it easier and easier to not want to really care or spend time/money on this game service/product.

Thanks for the heads up. Wallet closed. Still spending time in game for now.
  16. Tajar Well-Known Member

Lol, I hope that's fine because that's how I play multiple characters. I'm rubbish at it here so never group with others while dual boxing, but in EQ1 I could run six without a third party program. It just took a lot of learning and perfectly timing in game macros on each toon. You could set up a macro to cast 5 spells, then switch to your next toon and start theirs off.
    Lateana likes this.
  17. Kraeref Well-Known Member

Based on your interpretation all of us who uses macros to modify gameplay (to tell program to cast few spells with one key stroke) doing something illegal. Good to know :) I better not run my big macros while raiding.
  18. Ucala Well-Known Member

tbh ISBoxer has always been a program that can get you banned, Soe just never cared that much unless you were messing with other people in contested areas or something. But it seems like Daybreaker doesn't care. unless the OP was doing something like taking someone elses kills and stuff in a contested with the use of ISBoxer
    (coming from someone that used ISBoxer).
  19. Moonpanther Well-Known Member

Are you botters serious...you are threatening that actual revenues will go down without you. LMFAO.
  20. Kraeref Well-Known Member

24 accounts and probably few persons multiboxing? I think it will go down.

I am just ready any time for an announcement that eq2 is getting shut down.
    Livejazz and Thalador like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.