Mouse cursor seems to bounce around and hard to see

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by Semperfifofum, Feb 19, 2020.

1. Semperfifofum Well-Known Member

Is there a way to make the mouse cursor larger?

I think what's happening is that the mouse cursor, just after combat starts, is reset and moves somewhere, maybe the center of the screen. Because it's gold and small it can take me several seconds to find it and use it, so I use the keyboard more. I'm usually pressing 123, etc while circling the mouse trying to see where it is.

This is even more true in groups where even if I turn the magic effects down to 1 per person, the screen can get really fashy and not friendly to finding your mouse.

I have the "hold CTRL" effect turned on for finding my mouse, but again, I'd have to sit there and hold it for a couple sec to see the effect, and the effect is white, so white-on-flashing might not help. Mouse trails effect would help, but I've learned to keep it off because it lags the mouse in games.

There are gamer mouse effects in some games as a mod, is there one for EQ2?

It's not so urgent if I'm soloing, but for grouping I feel like it causes a problem.

I love playing Warlock because it forces you to think while playing, it's not just a casting order type of thing, buffs have to be started and maintained, etc, but to be good at it, I need to see my mouse better. :D
    Cyrrena and Rosyposy like this.
  2. Svenone Well-Known Member

I am partially blind in my right eye after a stroke, and if the mouse pointer moves to that spot I loose track of it. It also gave me a mild case of color blindness (not sure if that is entirely accurate), so some color combinations are very hard to distinguish. When I loose track of the pointer I end up just blindly moving the mouse around until I see the pointer again, which can take a few seconds. I would love it if we could customize the game's mouse pointer in a similar way as the windows pointer. Sadly, I do not see a game company like DBG being willing to spend resources for something like this that will likely benefit so few customers.
    Cyrrena likes this.
  3. Atherne New Member

I've found that if I make the mouse curser larger on my desktop (mouse options) it translates to the game , so I get a bigger curser. See if that works for you.
    Cyrrena likes this.
  4. Semperfifofum Well-Known Member

Well it's simple enough to allow windows to control the mouse pointer, that way I can use the Windows themes system to choose a mouse I want or use the built in XL mouse pointer. I have a Red Dragon mouse I can control the fine-ness of the click area. They could just allow me to use the built in mouse.

There's something in the options for "software mouse" but whenever I click that it screws up a lot of stuff and I end up resetting the graphics.

If it's an optimization issue, they could just make it so the LOOK of the mouse is borrowed from my windows settings, and the rest of it is controlled by the game.

As screens get inevitably larger, the mouse size will shrink to a point where even ordinary players will have trouble. May as well implement the ability to customize it now. I doubt if they want us to run the game at lower resolutions just so we can see the mouse.
    Cyrrena likes this.
  5. Semperfifofum Well-Known Member

Hasn't worked. When I was running WINE the game was buggy but the mouse cursor was very large. Now that I run bootcamp (on Mac) it's back to normal (small) size. I guess I could try a custom theme, so maybe when the theme is removed it will end up with a larger mouse pointer. Seems like a hack with the potential to crash the game though.
    Cyrrena likes this.
  6. Rosyposy Well-Known Member

I just use the Windows mouse cursor in-game, also. The software cursor in options messes up my game, and trying to play in full screen leaves me with no cursor at all.
    Cyrrena likes this.
  7. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

I have optic nerve damage from Primary Progressive Multiple Sclerosis so the fonts are to small and the mouse pointer is to small and I lose the pointer all the time, I just have to deal with it. I would love it if they would give us the option to enlarge all the fonts and enlarge the mouse pointer, but I don't see that happening in the foreseeable future.
    Breanna, Rosyposy and Semperfifofum like this.
  8. Semperfifofum Well-Known Member

I don't see why not... they could ask, um... that other game they publish how they accomplished it over there. Old games have gotten upgrades like this before. There are plenty of Fibro and MS warriors in games. They usually are awesome players who do a lot of free documenting. Some love to at group of players wouldn't be out of place.
  9. Semperfifofum Well-Known Member

Hm, can't edit it... that was meant to be "some love to THAT group of players wouldn't be out of place."
    Cyrrena likes this.
  10. Geroblue Well-Known Member

Control Panel -> Mouse -> Pointer Options there is a check mark for 'Automatically move pointer to default button in a dialog box'.

Do you have that checked ?
    Semperfifofum and Cyrrena like this.
  11. Semperfifofum Well-Known Member

No I never have that on. However, my husband always has that on. So we have the same IP address. I've often wondered if that was bugging one of us, or both of us. Not sure what to do about it if that's the case.
  12. Spindle Well-Known Member

Why not put the question out to other MAC users? Could be that other users of MAC utilities have figured out a 'hack' for the mouse pointer problem.
  13. Semperfifofum Well-Known Member

Well since I'm using bootcamp, it's not likely to have a mac utility to fix it. Having some control over the size of the pointer would help though.
  14. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

I do not use MAC.
    Semperfifofum likes this.
  15. Semperfifofum Well-Known Member

It was an experiment that didn't work out. I thought I was ready. When it's time for a new computer it won't be a mac I don't think. Had the same experience with Linux. I thought Mac would be more polished.

But it's also a problem that people hear I'm using bootcamp and they assume the fact it's a mac is the actual problem. I don't' think anyone can change the size of the cursor, can they? And I don't think there are mods that make it more visible either (like some games can give you a large circle around your pointer if you use a mod).

Would something like this work? https://www.ilovefreesoftware.com/01/featured/5-free-software-to-change-mouse-cursor.html

I'm guessing not since the mouse is changed inside the game.
    Cyrrena likes this.
  16. Semperfifofum Well-Known Member

I got it! It's the silly antivirus. I'm a late adopter of the Malwarebytes + Win Defender method of security. But I finally adopted it this weekend. Once McAfee was gone, my mouse stopped bouncing and disappearing. Also the jerking in my graphics is gone. My cpu is cooler now too. By 20 degrees Celsius!
  17. Geroblue Well-Known Member

MacAfee used to be good, but I haven't heard nice things about it for years. I uninstall it from any new computer I buy and put on what I prefer.
    Breanna, Cyrrena and Rosyposy like this.
  18. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

First thing I do is get rid of MacAfee and Norton and install what I prefer.
  19. Geroblue Well-Known Member

I think McAfee's problem is it checks every file you get when you play EQ/EQ II. That helps if you are downloading a number of files to say install or read, but not during a game.

I don't remember if McAfee lets the user not check a folder or not. And Malwarebytes used to be good, but it to has fallen away. I suggest PCMatic.