Mouse cursor getting stuck in upper right corner

Discussion in 'General Tech Support Questions' started by ARCHIVED-Lantis, Dec 16, 2010.

1. ARCHIVED-Lantis Guest

This is a weird one... It must be fairly recent as it never happened before. If I move my mouse pointer to the upper right corner of my monitor, it gets stuck there: trying to move the mouse makes it jump, as if stuck in a small 2x2 box or something. To recover it, I have to minimize EQ2's window, then I can move my mouse pointer away.
    The most recent changes on my end are last night's Patchy Tuesday patches from Microsoft (and I know of already one patch in that batch that causes widespread performance issues with Outlook - good old Microsoft), and updating to Catalyst 10.12 a few days ago.
    I tried enabling and disabling software cursor mode in EQ2, no change.
    Anyone else can reproduce this issue? Wondering if it's specific to my system, or more widespread.
    This is under Windows 7 64-bit, using an ATI HD 4850 video card. One single monitor, I play in fullscreen.
  2. ARCHIVED-TSR-DennisG Guest

3. ARCHIVED-Lantis Guest

I downgraded my Catalyst back to 10.11, and the problem seems resolved. That's really a weird one.
    Anyone else can reproduce it with Catalyst 10.12?
  4. ARCHIVED-N1Md4 Guest

i have the same problem, catalyst 10.12 (before i had 10.10 and no problems) windows 7 64bit and all the MS patches etc.
    my graphics card is an ati 5850.
    i played with all the options i can set for 3d games but i think its something "new" related to the hydravision part of catalyst (desktop enhancement stuff).
    i have 2 monitors and its on each monitors upper right corner.
  5. ARCHIVED-Chefren Guest

I'm also seeing the same after updating to Catalyst 10.12 so I guess that is the culprit..
  6. ARCHIVED-Lantis Guest

Guess that confirms it then.
    Now the trick question: can this be reported to AMD? Maybe SOE would be in a better position than us to report this issue (as I suspect any end-user report sent to AMD would result in "Try disabling all addons, disable your antivirus, disable your fan speed controler, blah blah". They probably got a more direct line of communication than we do. :)
  7. ARCHIVED-compmanben Guest

I also have this problem. For reference, I have the drivers only installation of 10.12 with 64 bit Vista. I've found that you can get the mouse unstuck by hitting windows key - tab and selecting the desktop. It's still an annoyance though, I hope that either AMD or SOE takes ownership of the problem.
  8. ARCHIVED-Vitarga Guest

I too am having the same issue with the 10.12 drivers. pain in the butt.
  9. ARCHIVED-Culgar Guest

Likewise happening to me.

Soo... acknowledged? Soon to be fixed? Ignored?
  10. ARCHIVED-wullailhuit Guest

It's a known issue with 10.12 , the um...other game a lot of people are umm...testing actually comes up with a dialog saying that you should downgrade to 10.10 as 10.12 causes their game problems also , with a link to a patch to do just that.
  11. ARCHIVED-Lantis Guest

The bug still exists with the recently released Catalyst 11.1.
    Would really like for SOE to talk with AMD about that issue, because it's getting annoying.
  12. ARCHIVED-MurFalad Guest

I'm seeing the same error here with an ATI 4870 and Catalyst 10.12, I hope they fix it quickly since its the first time I've had to hunt out older drivers to keep things working.

By the way everyone, I found that you can report issues to AMD via a link on this page
    http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downlo...on_win7-64.aspx
    At the bottom where it says "Windows Vista/Windows 7 Driver Feedback", if a lot of people feedback this bug hopefully they will get it fixed.
  13. ARCHIVED-Yasunami Guest

Same issue with the latest driver on a 4850HD card. Happens regardless of whether the game is full-screen or windowed, but changing modes will "unstick" it.
  14. ARCHIVED-TSR-JoshuaM Guest

The issues with those specific drivers has been reported and if I do come across any new information I will post it here.
  15. ARCHIVED-Phurrin Guest

This just started happening to me after upgrading to Catalyst 11.2, can't remember which version I upgraded from (10.something). Tossing out my overclock and other GPU-related utilities had no effect. Alt-tabbing to another non-maximized window seems to fix it at random, but it can take a few attempts.
    Radeon HD4870, Windows 7 x64 drivers.
    EDIT: rolling back to 10.11 fixed it.
  16. ARCHIVED-Shamantukk Guest

Well, it's been a good little while now, and no new information on this?
    I guess the message is: If you play EQ, stick with nVidia. Which I certainly will from now on.
  17. ARCHIVED-TSR-JoshuaM Guest

I do wish I had more information to provide but there has been many changes internally lately and I resent my requests not too long ago.
  18. ARCHIVED-Maikeruu Guest

I just noticed this thread was here or I would have commented sooner. To correct this issue please try the following:
    Type Mouse in the search programs and files bar in the windows button on the task bar of Windows. From there click the Mouse icon which should be the first result to bring up your Mouse Properties window. In the Pointers tab disable shadows and in the pointer options enable pointer trails then select Apply. This should clear up the sticking bug.
    For me this did cause some flickering when hovering the cursor over text online and an invisible cursor in some other programs. When I updated my drivers with these settings then disabled the mouse trails I no longer had the cursor sticking to the corner issue. If this does not work for you then using mouse trails whenever playing may be the only solution on your system.
    The drivers I am currently using with no issues are 11.3 despite the Catalyst forums reporting them not correcting the problem it seems to work with the above information.

Maikeruu Shadowtraveler

*Edit* Also, I found this thread which suggests another fix related to DirectX. http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/...topic_id=492552
  19. ARCHIVED-TSR-JoshuaM Guest

I'll see if i can reproduce those steps internally too.
  20. ARCHIVED-Hoss Guest

Maikeruu wrote:
    I have tried this on 3 different PC's that have ATi GPU's that had the mouse issue when using driver version11.x
    I can confirm that this resolved the issue i was having.