Most Content Soloable?

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by Lotharen, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Lotharen New Member

Greetings everyone! Its been a long time since delving into the world of Norrath and I'm back again. This time Ill be starting from scratch on a different server and need to decide on a class. I've narrowed it down to several and wonder which could solo the best when that need arrises (and just for fun to say I could do it).

Those classes are: Conjuror, Monk and Mystic.

Playstyle wise I generally like ranged combat. I dont hate melee, I'm just not as good at it as I am at ranged play.

Thats really about it. If you have any suggestions other than the few I've mentioned feel free to add them as long as there the 'good side' lol.

Thanks,
    Loth
  2. Kalderon Well-Known Member

If its all about range, only Conjuror will go. If it is most likely keep alive, it will be monk. Mystic..... never played one ^^
  3. Taivr Member

Well the three classes you picked are some of the stronger soloers.
    A well geared and well played Mystic can solo quite well, I've even seen one that could solo some of the easier Chains of Eternity heroic dungeons, but it took them quite a while to do so. Though you say you don't like melee as much as ranged, and this is a melee oriented priest class. Defilers are similarly powerful healers, but lack the melee aspect for a large part and are 'evil'.

A good monk is extremely good for soloing things, and especially excels in farming nameds since you can just run through and feign death to get the trash enemies to leave you alone. I know a few brawlers who solo nameds in Sleeper's Tomb Contested with a healer mercenary. This also applies to bruisers, and both are of course melee classes. Brawlers are neutral now.

Conjuror... I don't know how good summoners are at soloing these days. They used to have a leg up what with having a sturdy pet and a number of pet related abilities, but anyone (who has AoD) can pick up a healer mercenary or a self healing paladin mercenary. Conjurors are all about range, sending the pet in and providing support from far away.

My personal favorite, the now neutral assassins, I have found to be quite good soloers with a healer merc. Sturdy enough to not be squishy is most situations, and enough damage to make most things melt before they can get off any pesky fight scripts. They are extremely melee oriented though, and I'm not sure how rangers compare, but I assume they are similar.
    Lotharen likes this.
  4. Finora Well-Known Member

I know personally monks & mystics are strong soloers, but they are definately melee. You 'can' do just spells with a mystic, but it makes them less effective soloers. Of the two I personally prefer the mystic (I love my mystics though). I hadn't even used a merc on my mystic until recently & the only reason I did that was to see how the collector's edition paladin tanked.

Conjurers, my is low level still so I only have a small amount of personal experience with that, but you are your own personal group right off the bat. You've got your tank pet or mage pet and generally your damage is going to come from spells, so would be ranged. If you choose to add a mercenary(I'd suggest a healer) to that I imagine they'd be pretty powerful soloers.

Don't forget in a group, your monk is a tank. Tank that can do some damage but still a tank.
    Mystics are healers first & foremost so in a group that is your first job along with debuffing.
    Conjurer, that's your dps man =). Just pointing that out because some people come back confused by other games.
    Lotharen likes this.
  5. Lotharen New Member

I think Ill have to get over my melee fears. I toyed around last night and 'tested' them out a bit and there honestly not that bad. Other games required to much moveing around with melee classes and that just causes me motion sickness. Thus the reason I stopped playing them and only stuck with ranged.

I like the sound of the Monk and Mystic since you have posted about them and I thank all of you that responded with all the awesome information. Now it's down to decide between the two.

Time for another question.....if I were to Duo with a Warden from time to time which would be the better choice. Monk or Warden?

Again, thanks in advance for any info.
  6. Taivr Member

I assume that is a mistype and you are asking monk or mystic? If so, monk would likely be the better choice, so the warden can concentrate on keeping you alive while you fight. On the other hand, pairing two different types of healers would make you both quite sturdy, though such a pairing would be lacking somewhat in damage.
    And as for moving around and motion sickness, you would be right in staying away from the scout classes then, as most if not all of them have to move around in combat to get behind the enemies for back attacks.
  7. Lotharen New Member

Yeah I did mistype there. Sorry about that.

I've gone with the Monk and pray I end up loving the class. I love the combat animations, they remind of the the TK's in SWG. So far I've only died once, and honestly I'm not sure what happened there lol.

Now to get to level cap.....but I'm going to take it slow and steady so I can see the sights.
  8. Ivory Member

I have to say you made a good choice. Just starting leveling this Alt with my son's Necro. It has been a blast so far. :)
  9. mague Active Member

Swap the mystic for a defiler. Its a casting shaman. More fun IMHO ;) But i am one of few who love the defiler.

Is the warden a typo ? Two equal classes arent a good choice. Fighter and healer is the better choice. But shaman and druid works as well. Just not druid and druid.