More feedback on Kaladim ....

Discussion in 'General TLE Discussion' started by Kalika, Apr 1, 2019.

1. Kalika Well-Known Member

I have fun in my little french guild, we take our times but ....

• Kaladim would have been better with BB/Gorowyn and level <=50 EoF zones. There are many reason for that : m(A) ore 1-20 zones, 1 extra 20-30 zone (BB), 1 extra 30-40 zone (steamfont). All this content will be 90% wasted since most players will be 50 when the zones will be released. (B) Much better crafter quest and the possibility to get your book without spending half a krono. (C) Qho and the harvesting quest.
    • Priests : soloing with them is just horrible even if they can kill tough opponents due to self-heal. My conjurer just crossed an inqui doing qeynos city time line, he was fighting 3 blood sabers and it took him really a lot of time, my conjurer destroyed them in a few seconds. Other archetypes are probably in a similar or even worst situation (guardian ? bards?).
    • Summoners : I m not calling for a nerf but my fury (when she was 26) was with a 30 necro and that duo managed to kill the book of life, the tailor and the book of death in RoV, several times we were close to wipe but we made it. Conjurers are just similar and illusionists are probably very strong too. Whenever i switch from my fury to my conjurer i feel like i m not plaiyng the same game at all. So rather than nerfing summoners it would be good to bump a bit other classes, as example a real tank should tank much better than a summoner pet. I would really hate a massive nerf, duoing heroic content is fun and summoners are very popular and i hated how weak they were on Fallen Gate. Without change half of the server population will be necro/conjurers and may be illusionists.
    • Recipes : with the above mentionned necro we tried to get recipes, first we started with 27-30 regular mobs, killing many and all the small chest were quest starters, not a single recipe dropped. So we moved to heroic outside RoV then inside. We got more exquisite chest than small chests and the small chest almost always were quest starter. Currently some book are close to 1 plat (krono selling 5pp). Note here that if BB and Steamfront had been rleased the problem would have been way smaller since only 40-50 books would have been super rare.
    • Incentive to harvest wood/bushes: This is a very old issue, to adress it the "feed the hobbit"quest was added but it does not give enough xp so people don't do it; rare harvest for super food were also added but they are so rare that people don't really care either. This is super easy to correct : increase rare food component drop rate, increase the "feed the Hobbit" xp, add a "harvest wood" quest.
    • Itemisation : focus is missing, Amod is too rare, and i saw some level 20+ mob dropping level 10 items. This has already been adressed so i won't elaborate too much.
    Jaden, Rosyposy and Sixgauge like this.
  2. MightyMeaghan Well-Known Member

Sounds like what you want is a TLE that just starts at EoF.
    Pixistik likes this.
  3. Atan Well-Known Member

They can easily disable content based upon the expansion it came out in, thats why we have it the way it is. It is more work for them to unlock it by the level of the content which is what the OP is asking for.

It might be more interesting to see it the other way, but given it would be more work from a development and itemization standpoint, I'm not sure we will ever see it sliced that way.
    Pixistik, Kalika and Dude like this.
  4. Kalika Well-Known Member

Probably but honestly unlocking BB/SF/Gorwyn/mara and TT does not require much work, and given the amount of players (among which many new players who run in bear/wolf form) theycould find the ressources. You just need to disable zoming in Loping, lesser fay and the 50-60 zone near mara that leads to nizarra.
    Rosyposy, Sixgauge and Momo like this.
  5. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

How on earth do you know this? Have you worked on EQ2 development teams?
    Breanna and Bekkr like this.
  6. Pixistik Don't like it? You're not alone!

In all honesty they shouldnt have put Frostfang or Neriak in game yet.
    Froglok and Breanna like this.
  7. MightyMeaghan Well-Known Member

No, they shouldn't have. I only ever see ******** about how quests get red because XP moves too slow. Well, no kidding. They're designed for a different time and a different design philosophy.
  8. Zenji Well-Known Member

Who is complaining about XP being to slow on this server?
  9. Kalika Well-Known Member

I know enough about computer science, software engineering , databases, frameworks, algorithm design to tell you that it is absolutely trivial.
  10. MightyMeaghan Well-Known Member

I dunno, EQ2 is infamous for being a pain in the *** to do anything with that it wasn't initially designed to accommodate. I don't know if it really is trivial or that the reason we have Halas and DLW is that they were tied to updates, not expansions, or if that even matters. I do know that whatever is the path of least resistance is the path Daybreak is gonna take.
  11. Atan Well-Known Member

By expansion is the path of least resistance. The EoF zones your talking about need travel options, but more than that they have quests and rewards that are outside of the current level range as well as the ones that are in range.

I think the reality from a design perspective and to prevent some exploiting as well as other sub content that might have to be disabled, the challenge is more difficult than Kalika is assuming. I think it will require more work than enabling the zone ins.

Like I said before, I really like the idea of unlocking content by level rather than be expansion, but I think the effort of completing those slices and preventing anything from being exploitable is probably way too high.

Simple things like turning on Frostfell broke the game on FG due to unforeseen advantages.
  12. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

You don't know as much as you think you do. Big sprawling legacy software that has been re-engineered many times over 15 years? We don't know the architecture. We don't know how modular the programming is.

The various releases were not, originally, designed to be turned on or off. Some retro engineering later, they figured out a way to do it for TLE. But to try to extract chunks of a single release that were all released together with interdependencies? That is almost certainly going to be a giant PITA.

This is, after all, why TLE has to wait so long to get the holiday festivals. They'd have to pick them apart into release-significant subsections, and have them respond to whatever is controlling the releases on TLE. If they aren't retrofitting the festivals for TLE, what makes you think retrofitting just selections of a release is going to be simple?
  13. Tominator Member

What Sigrdrifa said 100%.

I've been in IT for 25 years. I can only speak for our development environment, but even a one line code change can take a few months to implement.
    Sigrdrifa likes this.
  14. Caela Well-Known Member

Kaladim is what it is. But, I dream of a server that is lvl locked and not expansion locked.

I also dream of being able to take the population and community I have on Kaladim and put it on the live server.

Ain't neither gonna happen ;) But a gnome can dream.

Harvesting is about to drive me bat **** crazy though. I'm tired of cleaning up the bushes everyone else leaves behind. I just spent an hour harvesting in EL - I really am in desperate need for roots. I harvested about 20 bushes, 20 logs, numerous rocks, a handful of dens, and saw exactly ZERO roots. I thought trying in the morning would be better - but nope - there were more people harvesting than anything else. Maybe I'll try at 3am. I thought maybe I could sell the stuff I harvest that I have no use for and buy the roots - I go broke quickly - roots and leather pelts are the most expensive on the broker - and the other things go for a minute fraction of what the roots go for.

Add roots to the common table of bushes - you would still get a lot of food items, but you could get some roots too.
    Rosyposy likes this.
  15. Venser Active Member

I snag up roots where all the badgers are
  16. Rosyposy Well-Known Member

Roots are an issue for the first couple of tiers, also.
    Breanna likes this.
  17. Tominator Member

I've noticed roots don't always show on my screen until I'm almost on top of them. That might be what's happening to you too, Caela. Most if not all of the other nodes, I can see from a mile away. But while heading to one of those nodes, roots
    'magically' appear. It's happened many times, so I dismiss that they've just spawned by chance.

Now, I tab target while harvesting, and have had better luck with roots, seeing ones that I previously may have missed. I agree they don't spawn as often and are 'rarer' than other nodes, but this may help relieve a bit of your frustration.
    Kalika, Breanna and Rosyposy like this.
  18. Bekkr Well-Known Member

This is a really good idea.
  19. Carynn Well-Known Member

Level up and go to Cove of Decay. No competition and you can cherry pick in and out of the zone to your heart's content. See: Eternal Gorge for TS/Nek nodes.
  20. Caela Well-Known Member

I remember doing that on the live servers back in the day (I played from launch until about 2017 - then came back for Kaladim). Are those T4 nodes?