Monk VS Bruiser

Discussion in 'Fighters' started by gaymer77, Apr 5, 2017.

1. gaymer77 Active Member

So I've decided to make a brawler alt now and don't know what the main differences are between a monk and a bruiser. I know previously one was good & the other was evil but that has changed and you they're "neutral" now. Thanks for the tips & advice. Also what races make good bruisers?
  2. Tooloose Active Member

A bruiser is to a monk what a defiler is to a mystic. Meaning... One is proficient in their main purpose while the other gives a wider range of utility. The bruiser is the best damaging fighter class while the monkey offers utility and can serve as a clutch offtank, and if given the proper attention, can also become the main tank. That said... The monk doesn't really have a general purpose and is best for moments that don't really exist in game anymore.

The best race for a brawler? Kerra, Troll, Ogre, Barbarian, Dwarf, and my personal choice - Freeblood.

Although when it comes to fighters... I typically go Ogre, equip cloak of storm, cast commanding presence, and equip the LoN cloak Silver Guardian and just increase size to 95% and stand around looking pretty.
  3. Genghes Active Member

Think of it like this bruiser is like zerker = AOE based tank. Monk is like guard=single Target based tank
  4. Nero Active Member

is that the reason so many of the top guilds run a monk as their MT? Any other tanks able to solo tank the order and chaos raid fight?
  5. Baltazarr Member

On paper, from a defensive stand point of view they are very close to each other.
    In practice monks have an easier time maintaining their defensive temp rotation (shorter gaps), however bruisers have a better survivability during gaps.
    Values may vary depending on AA specs and spell quality:
    [IMG]
    duckster likes this.
  6. Simien Active Member

First, they are both proficient tanks and both can MT raids. Saying the monk doesn't really have a general purpose is ridiculous, false and in no way answer's the OP question.

Gaymer77 this question has been hashed over and over in other posts and it would do you good to search the forums and read those posts.

As Genghes said, Bruiser AoE, Monk single target. That is not to say that a Monk cannot tank several mobs but a Bruiser is more equipped to do so. On paper (so to speak) Monks have a better temp rotation than Bruiser although I think many monks have dropped Bob and Weave for the dragonfire reset...at least for T1 raid and heroic.

It really is a matter of preference both are fun, both are very capable of end game tanking. Do some research on here, you will find all the information you need to make a decision. Most of us are biased and defend our class of choice but both are honestly great tanks.
  7. Baltazarr Member

QFE
  8. Earar Well-Known Member

9. duckster Active Member

Stonecold missing in there. On paper both brawlers are in a good position with temps !
  10. Baltazarr Member

True.
    I didn't include it because I dont't spec into it (neither do most people afaik).
  11. Tooloose Active Member

Never seen one MT a raid this expac soooooo....
  12. Nero Active Member

Id say that you're not looking hard enough, but apparently you're just not looking at all.

I have MTed every single encounter in the expac up to the T4s, which we are actively pulling. Alone.

Yes we occasionally run and OT, but why?

I hate to use this as a stereotypical example, but who is tanking for Rev? https://u.eq2wire.com/soe/character_detail/463858680030 MONK

Id link the Unreal tank as well, but im pretty sure he has his profile hidden. About 80% sure he is a monk as well.

Thats 3 of the top 10 guilds that i just looked up that use a monk. Both # 1 and 2 guild on skyfire use monks as MT.

Want me to keep going?
  13. Earar Well-Known Member

And what do monks bring that bruiser don't to see lot more monks MT than bruisers.

Even the bruiser epic 2 was one of the ladt to be discovered and same for spells, i discovered gm and ancient epic spells in my serveur.
    Monks were already prefered pre-epic 2

Why ?
  14. Malleria Well-Known Member

Most of his posts are trolls at this point. At least... I like to think he's not that stupid.
  15. Baltazarr Member

16. Genghes Active Member

It is all based on personal opinions. Example....I will never play a monk, because I love the play style of a bruiser more, and I prefer how the class mechanics work on bruiser more. This debate goes on at least once a quarter lol
    Heijo, Kioske and Revanu like this.
  17. Tooloose Active Member

First, I would like to mention I said that "if given the proper attention, they can be the main tanks" before anyone replied to me or quoted me. With that in mind, sit and spin.

Second, just because I don't see them, doesn't mean I don't disown them as a tank, and instead means I haven't seen it; however, your notion of my not looking hard enough although correct still isn't something I'm going to bother with. See my initial reply stating that if given enough attention, they are capable enough of being the main tank.

I can't stress that part enough. I have given them the compliment and all you read was "no they're bad tanks." I'm not trolling, you just have selective reading.

When I said "That said... The monk doesn't really have a general purpose and is best for moments that don't really exist in game anymore." unless I'm mistaken, monks have an invis spell and a group wide feign death. Bruiser doesn't have that. Paladin doesn't have that. Berserker doesn't have that. Guardian doesn't have that. SHADOWKNIGHT DOESNT HAVE THAT.

And guess what? If your team doesn't suck, YOU DONT NEED THAT.

???????????

I haven't followed a bruiser or a monk feigning and training through a zone since Veeshans Peak. Why? Because I can overpull an entire zone full of trash, hold the agro, and melt it down with a group that knows what they're doing. Which is what I roll with constantly. People who don't care to pull Two mobs at a time and don't want to jerk around with agro.

Which is why I don't see monks. Oi vey. This is why I don't care for forums. It's riddled with people who read what they want to versus what's written. Bunch of negative nancies
    Meneltel likes this.
  18. olleran Active Member

Am i missing something as to why only monks can solo tank order and chaos ?
  19. Earar Well-Known Member

Group FD is great for cathedral of. Ones, scout epic update. Makes it way faster
  20. Nero Active Member

Monks have an outstanding temp rotation, and with an illy reset and a few other tricks, the right person can stand there and tank chaos for well over 2 mins without taking a single hit. Not sure many other tanks can do that. We are talking 100% dodge or riposte the whole time.