Monk vs Bruiser. I would love to have some help.

Discussion in 'Fighters' started by Rolf, Jul 26, 2013.

1. Rolf New Member

Hello fellow E2 players, I'm an old player who is coming back to Everquest, I quit playing around when DoF came out, so you can say I'm quite new to this new(old) game.

So I've spent a couple of hours searching for information but most seemed out-dated to me.
    As far as I can tell Monk and Bruisers are quite similar, but with various small differences.

Since I started, I've leveled a Bruiser to 30 and planning to do so with a Monk as well to form my own opinion on the matter. But would also love to hear from others what they think.

So in this post I would really love for some advice from people that have higher experience on playing either or both, and explain to me why they like their Brawler class, what sets them apart from each other and which task they excel at.

So far I've really enjoyed soloing dungeons for awesome fabled loot and fun times with a healer mercenary, and I plan on diving into pvp soon as well!
    Thank you, for your time on reading and replying to the post.

Rolf.
  2. Silzin Active Member

Monks are very Single Target and should be a bit more survivable. the bruiser is a bit more AoE based. monks rely of 100% avoidance abilities and a temp mit buff, where bruisers have a Stoneskin proc that helps with their passive survivability.
    Everdog likes this.
  3. Netty Member

Monks are not very single target... they are supose to be but they are not. Infact monks have bigger range on all of their aoe:s vs the bruiser..
    Davngr likes this.
  4. Priority Well-Known Member

Silzin is one of the worlds foremost authorities on tanks in general. Arguing is an exercise in futility.
  5. Davngr Well-Known Member

monk is a better tank for group/raid in both survivability and damage both single and aoe targets unless you plan on having the mythical cloak on your bruiser.

bruiser is a better solo class because of koc, faster use on heal and closed mind.
  6. Rolf New Member

Mythical cloak? I tried to google bruiser mythical cloak, but I couldn't find anything. Also I have no idea what you mean when you say koc!

How do they fair in pvp? So far I'm leaning towards the monk, because of their animations.
  7. Davngr Well-Known Member

knock out combination = koc it's a 20 second proc on combat arts used that allows for good spike damage.

the bruiser mythical cloak doubles the range on wild beatings, an aoe with a hate component that levels the playing field with monk dragonfire.

bruiser and monk are about even in pvp but bruiser has a slight edge do to knockout combination line/closed mind(immunity to control effects for 30 sec)
  8. Bchizzle Active Member

If you aren't better at AE control on a bruiser vs a monk then you are just bad at bruiser. Dragonfire is only a frontal and hits a limited amount of targets, despite what these guys try and tell you there is no way it is better than WB when you are talking AE abilities also DF is a magical ability so it doesn't proc cranetwirl. Of course the bruiser myth cloak is amazing because WB has a really bad agro radius, really they should have fixed that a long time ago.
  9. Clevemo Active Member

If grouped with an Illusionist and timed well with Time warp, you can get 2 Doublecasts of Dragonfire within a few seconds. It makes me giggle inside when I get it to happen.
  10. Davngr Well-Known Member

damage = agro

dragonfire damage > WB

dragonfire range > WB (no myth cloak)

what exactly is wrong or misleading about my post?
  11. Strac Active Member

WB = AE 2 hate position snaps

If you fail to see how a blue AE rescue is better then a blue dmg AE to snap a bunch ofmobs, well /shrug
  12. Everdog Member

You cannot forget Divide and Conquer, Savage Assault, and Vicious Combination.
  13. Hammdaddy Active Member

This, but monks are honestly not bad aoe and have the same survive-ability as a bruiser, bruiser's have adrenaline rush and the riptose stoneskin and also the 10% Physical Damage Reduction from the mythical.
  14. Davngr Well-Known Member

like i said with out the myth WB has a restrictive range, you're not going to snap as bunch of mobs because 5m isn't much.

edit.
    further more i said monks had more aoe damage and they do with dragonfire.
  15. Davngr Well-Known Member

koc line was mentioned, DC works on some mobs and is encounter only and savage SA does not parse anywhere near what DF does.
  16. Everdog Member

And that Bruising Spirit is better than Body Like Mountain can be addressed because people tend to forget it
    while Mountain Stance better than Rock Skin tends to be mentioned.
  17. Davngr Well-Known Member

you guys really arguing that monk has less survivability than bruiser? really? lol
  18. Everdog Member

I dont think so.
    I just wanted to mention what people tend to forget about Bruiser.
  19. Hammdaddy Active Member

I mean their roughly about the same. Read the buffs.
  20. Silzin Active Member

Bruisers in my opinion "Should" have more AoE dps and more AoE aggro control then monks, and monks "Should" have more survivability. Pre 95 and Geared bruisers will have more AoE then monks and i think also monks would be a bit more survivable than bruisers. but at 95 with good gear the line between then all but goes away.

atm the differences are so small that everyone just calls them the Brawler Class and calls it a day.