Monk Tank...Is it viable?

Discussion in 'Monk' started by ARCHIVED-ConanWarrior, Jun 1, 2010.

1. ARCHIVED-ConanWarrior Guest

I just recently returned to EQ2, I have a 49 guard, and I was looking to created another tank class. Is the monk a viable tank in later content? If not, should I reroll my guard to take advantage of any missed content since I have been away for many years?
    If the monk is a viable tank, any links or input would be appreicated.
    :)
  2. ARCHIVED-Landiin Guest

Not this expansion but it is a statistically likelihood for the next expansion that the brawler class will be the FoTM fighter. Seeing as building FoTM classes is the only way the EQ2 dev team knows how to do classes.
  3. ARCHIVED-Rasttan Guest

Yes we are viable but we are not optimal. Scrap the Guard I left mine at lvl 80, and my Monk does a decent job tanking and above average dps but the win/win tanks are.............
    SK or Pally pick one of these and you can out tank and out dps even while tanking every other tank in 90% of any situation that may arrive.
  4. ARCHIVED-Morrolan V Guest

No disagreement that Crusaders are still the FoTM, just as they were during TSO.
    That said, monks can efficiently tank everything from heroic instances through the top raid content. Just need the right gear and AA setup.
  5. ARCHIVED-Brickfist Guest

Depends... if you never run with a warlock, yes. Never. Never ever. I'm still crying from the last time.
  6. ARCHIVED-The_Cheeseman Guest

Viable has different meanings to different people. Monks are entirely capable of tanking any content in the game. However, you will need better gear and greater concentration to do so compared to a crusader or berserker. Even for those of us who have been playing a monk for years, there can still be situations where tanking can become downright frustrating (holding aggro off warlocks and rangers without a chanter or bard in the group).
    That being said, monks are still a blast to play, and are capable of soloing efficiently as well as DPS'ing or tanking in average groups (I frequently top the parse in PuGs that lack hardcore raiders, though it requires swapping between multiple sets of gear and separate AA specs). You have to come to terms with the fact that you will usually be second choice for any given role in a group, but if you're dedicated you can succeed. Believe me, people notice a skilled brawler, and the smart ones will both appreciate you and invite you back.
  7. ARCHIVED-Exordus Guest

Toranx@Crushbone wrote:
    Pffft, i'll believe that when I see it.
  8. ARCHIVED-Thrakkorzog Guest

I agree with The Cheeseman completely. If you have the right gear you can tank it. And getting a decent set of Fabled gear isn't that hard. It is a running gag on Mistmoore about how much Monk loot drops and is for sale in the auction channel. If you are in a casual raiding guild like mine you can get plenty of great monk loot. You also have to completely know what you are doing. Monks have a lot of buffs you need to know when to use to keep from dying.
    In my guild our MT plate tanker isn't available anymore so I recently became the new MT. My guild isn't a hardcore raiding guild and we are still learning the harder mobs in raid zones.
    Raid mobs I have tanked and we killed:

Lair of The Dragon Queen:
    Wyvernlord Tuluun
    Wyrmlord Zaos
    Vuulan

Pera'Celsis Abominable Laboratory:
    Ernax Heridion
    Vernox The Insatiable
    Sara Greenheart
    Harakaat The Seer

The Palace of Roehn Theer:
    Lieutenant Buldoral
    Azara The Seer

The Vigilant: Final Destruction:
    Thanaraax
    Tartan, Raamum and Cadducian
    Melagrognan
    High Marus Alaric

That is about it so far. I am sure we will kill more eventually. SO I hope that answers the OP. Although I still think Berserkers are better raid tanks with all those damage reduction and heal procs they have. We don't have anything to compare to that.
  9. ARCHIVED-Selpone Guest

I personally believe that I need to be in defensive stance to be a good tank. The major change on my character is going from 1% uncontested block to 51% between offensive/spider and defensive. With the number of high end mobs that use strikethrough, monks are also immune to strikethough in defensive stance. All the big arguements that Monks can't tank Raid or high end heroic content isn't all that bad if the player is spec'ed for taunts and for the group to survive. The reduction in melee skill can be fixed with a couple good items and/or adorns. My monk isn't complete, but she had +100 crushing in defensive stance. The AA which adds accuracy tops me off to have a 98-99% chance to hit level 98 epic content in defensive stance.

I think it can be done, but I've done my best not to be tempted to stack up on offensive AA.
  10. ARCHIVED-Arcanos Guest

What is your AA setup, I'm very pleased with the tone of your post, Selphone.

Also, In a leveling build, trying to gain aa while level locking at 50, what is a good aa choice? I see a lot of competing voices to this topic.
  11. ARCHIVED-Baldzilla1969 Guest

I have tanked all sorts of things this expac.. OV, RH, Lib etc even Cella,, vig zones seem rough on my paladin but ive seen monk tank that too although I have not myself done so. Viable with good gear and groupage
  12. ARCHIVED-AustinB Guest

Defensively monks are just as good as any of the other tanks, we can mitigate as much or more damage than the other tank classes. Where we suffer is in agro generation. If we go completely defensive we will have one of the lowest threat outputs of any of the tank classes. This is largely because we need to devote much more of our gear to defense than plate tanks, meaning we have to give up a lot more DPS to go defensive.

Even when going all out offensive we aren't the top parsing tank.
  13. ARCHIVED-Shredderr Guest

dont delete your guardian if anything betray to zerker and you have an op class unless the nerf to heals actually diminished that a bit .
  14. ARCHIVED-Morrolan V Guest

Ambrin@Nagafen wrote:
    ^this^
    Best encapsulation of the situation, and the problem, that I have seen.
  15. ARCHIVED-circusgirl Guest

Hopefully the changes on test will help here. It looks like they're giving us a little extra mitigation, and the changes to dual wield, two handers, and flurry/AE attacks should help us to do a little more dps when tanking.
  16. ARCHIVED-BChizzle Guest

Hey Vinka want to explain the mitigation part?
  17. ARCHIVED-circusgirl Guest

BChizzle wrote:
    Theres 1100 mit on inner calm on test.
  18. ARCHIVED-BChizzle Guest

Vinka@Antonia Bayle wrote:
    Would be awesome if they made it groupwide.
  19. ARCHIVED-circusgirl Guest

BChizzle wrote:
    Sure would!
  20. ARCHIVED-BChizzle Guest

Vinka@Antonia Bayle wrote:
    Even so 1k is hot either way.