Monk or Bruiser for new expansion

Discussion in 'Fighters' started by Keuven, Oct 12, 2018.

1. Keuven New Member

I'm coming back to the game after many years away and wondering if Monk or Bruiser for the new expansion would be best? I have a lvl 90ish Bruiser I was going to level the rest of the way for new expac but wasn't sure if I should betray now.

Also if anyone has a good guide site for abilities, I would greatly appreciate it.
  2. Neroflop Member

Its very very very hard to say at this point.

Monks have definitely had the edge over the past two or so years, with it really becoming evident in PoP.

Having said that, Monks are taking a pretty significant hit to their DPS with the nerf of Dragonfire in Beta. There has not been any mention of boosting Bruiser's DPS yet. Beta is still young though, and last year for example, there were class balancing changes that happened all the way up to the week of the xpac going live. So we just wont know which class will have the edge going forward.

I think your best bet for abilities is to just read through the spells and combat arts in your knowledge book.

For a monk, Your go to temps are: Tag team, Bob and Weave, and Tsunami. Brawler's Tenacity is a nice insurance policy that provides 3 death saves for a limited duration. Outward calm is a great ward if you run the ethereal class rune, and stone cold is a nice DR that is up nearly 50% of the time (can be used with Provoking stance for additional DR). Inner focus is a nice physical stoneskin when nothing else is up (i think it blocks up to 3 hits that are over 25% of your HP) and if all else fails, superior guard is there, but to be honest, i rarely click it.

At the end of the day, i think most of the people here and in game will just tell you to play the class that fits you better, as any class in the hands of the right person can absolutely shine :)
    Blazen, Rosyposy and Zeddicious like this.
  3. Earar Well-Known Member

Monks are still better defensively.

And both must be similar offensively.

Plus monks have range advantage. Peel, dragon fire, reprimand, and monks don’t really have aoe disadvantage with dragon rage changes ... so if u want the best class. For now it’s still monks.

Play bruiser only if u prefer their playstyle.
    I still play bruiser but i know we are few

Brutal stance (our best def temp) would be awesome if restriction wasn’t so harsh. But with how fights are, having a 70% DR on huge CD that cancels as soon as u move isn’t usefull. Any move. Displacement, kb, reposition.
    That, added with short range means that if a mage grabs aggro while u use it ... it’s over, u lost it.

Monks also don’t have those kind of restrictions anymore. So yeah ...
  4. Neroflop Member

I guess the one huge upside to being a bruiser is the ability to get fully GMed out for relatively little plat.

Monk masters are non existent on the broker. If you can find any, they will cost 2M for spells that you will never use, and 5M+ for ones that you will (skyfire has several for 15M. which is rediculous since you can literally pay DBC and have it be cheaper if you assume that krono is $17 = 1.9M plat = about 45ish day of research.

There are like 10 pages of bruiser masters on the broker. starting at 200k.
  5. The Fonz Active Member

People pay a lot for them to use them as a component to make ancients, not to just gm them.
  6. Airvh Active Member

Think of it this way. Bruisers are the LEAST played class in the game so if you do build up a Bruiser character it will be about 100 times easier to get spells and things off the broker for lower prices because nobody is buying them except for you! :)