Monk Katanas

Discussion in 'Monk' started by ARCHIVED-Zabjade, Jun 4, 2008.

1. ARCHIVED-Jamion Guest

Zabjade wrote:
    I'm SK we don't get anything special for repeating that quest :( guess i'm gonna have to dust off my old brawler.
  2. ARCHIVED-Zabjade Guest

I got my SK the chain armor (Other then the headgear, most headgear in game looks awful or has no graphic) She is a dark Elf and looks better in lithe chain then bulky plate (Still wears plate underneath)
  3. ARCHIVED-Turb0T Guest

Ick, the stats are woeful. No use except maybe for posing in QH or something.
    There's good slashers in the high end game like the fabled drop in CoA and the one off the first or second named in VP (which I use with my mythical as I haven't found better yet).
    I like the katana idea but unless they add 'appearance weapons' (which I don't think is a good idea) they're just parade ground trinkets.
  4. ARCHIVED-Invisible Guest

I just tested it and the weapons currently do not level up with you. Hopefully they'll add it in like they did with the prophet returns weapons.
  5. ARCHIVED-cooperownzyou Guest

num-chucks would be tight.
    or however you spell it.

i'd feel like a TMNT (Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle) then.
    now i want to roll a Monk (again).
  6. ARCHIVED-Hioril Guest

i love you SOE! you really made my day with these. now, here is hoping the ditch the "fist weapon" moniker and go for "martial weapons" ala Vanguard. and we could see Halberds, glaives, Katanas, and more become monk/bruiser friendly :)

P.S, anyone know if these level with you in the live version of the patch? or do i have to get to 70 before the next patch goes live, so i can get the level 75 version?
  7. ARCHIVED-Riftweaver81 Guest

the weapons dont level up with you. to get the next 'tier' of swords, you have to level up and do the quest again, then buy them.

i first got the level 45 versions, then when i hit 50 or 51 i was able to buy the lvl 55 versions.

they are obtainable at 1st level, however the swords will be level 5.. and get 'upgraded' every 10 levels. but you still have to buy them
  8. ARCHIVED-Xael Guest

Why the hell would they give monks katanas?
    That is just stupid. We are a martial arts class that is supposed to specialize in hand to hand or 1h blunt or 2h staves... besides that, katanas are not even part of monk lore they belonged to samurai and ninja which are hardly like monks. Its bad enough most of the dps monks do comes from stupid looking fist weapons that would not even be practical from the way we fight.
  9. ARCHIVED-Igu Guest

Digety@Nagafen wrote:
    Why would they let every other class have the graphic for the monk's class specific hat? We can't even use the Bruiser headband graphic. :(
  10. ARCHIVED-Ocello Guest

Digety has a point; we aren't freakin ninjas (as cool as I think the katana are) and MONKS don't use them. Ponders monks only being able to go barehand /dream I wish going barehand was more valid. Or that a bo staff was valid. Cuz I, too, hate the fist weapons we have. HoS even is impractical. Sad Panda :(
  11. ARCHIVED-VanHellsing Guest

Igu wrote:
    Accually we can use the head band graphic...get it from one of the quests in RE2!
  12. ARCHIVED-Zabjade Guest

That's a not a headband but a headwrap A headband would be like that Druid thing.

Monks with Katanas are not that unheard of they used all sorts of weapons in practice.
  13. ARCHIVED-greenmantle Guest

Kamaala@Kithicor wrote:
    Your experience of monks is? Visit a shaolin temple there are enough weapons to make it look like the brag wall of a l&l nutter. Amittedly some thing more along the butterfly sword look with some nice tassels might be more acurate but "monk weapons" consist of flails chains knives swords spears axes etc etc. Sad to say pretty much through history if you could hit some oen with it a monk has picked it up and swung ;) There are even Katas for things as weird as tea room seats and fans.
  14. ARCHIVED-Zabjade Guest

I concure, the katanas need tassels at the ends :) Monks are almost more masters at arms & unarmed combat masters rolled into one.
  15. ARCHIVED-Isfrael Guest

This may have already been posted, but if it wasn't, for all of you wishing your slashing was up higher: Monks can't increase their slashing, when you use a slash/pierce weapon, it's still considered slash/pierce dmg, but it uses your Crush stat to run against the hit/miss check. So using the blades, claws, etc. doesn't rely on your virtually non-existant slash/pierce skill.
  16. ARCHIVED-Jihrun Guest

Isfrael wrote:
    So there is no way to increase our slashing kill? Am I reading that right?
  17. ARCHIVED-Henge42 Guest

Morgane@Everfrost wrote:
    SO that's why my level 80 Monk is sitting at 400 in Crushing, Piercing and Slashing.

In fact I used the Katanas to up my slashing skill.
  18. ARCHIVED-Polynikes Guest

Morgane@Everfrost wrote:
    My slashing skill is maxed out....so I'm going with yes we can.
  19. ARCHIVED-Jihrun Guest

Dorieon@Unrest wrote:
    Yeah... I use my katanas in easy fights and I've seen my slashing go up, too. That's why I was puzzled.
  20. ARCHIVED-Zabjade Guest

Yup we do indeed get slashing, piercing as well, and if you are so intent on going bare-handed there are fistwraps to protect you hands and hold your resists. Wurmslayer requires Piercing and is Monk Equipable (Just wish I could Off-hand it so I can pair it with my fabled version of my epic)

I've actually used the blades on (pick up) raids and ended up pretty decent on the parse (Might have revealed a lazy DPSer as well as I placed higher then one.) they don't do much damage but 1.6 + offensice stance + Everburning= Sushi Chef speed makes up for it.