Monk DPS

Discussion in 'Monk' started by ARCHIVED-weirdguy508, Aug 26, 2010.

1. ARCHIVED-weirdguy508 Guest

I made a monk in hope of being able to do good DPS. I am not looking to top the charts or anything like that, but to just put up some nice DPS. Well with that I was wondering what a good AA spec would be to complete my goal of doing nice DPS and being able to OT if needed. I would like to avoid MTing, just because I don't want to MT. I know if I was looking to just do good DPS I should have played a scout, but I don't want that whole sneak behind and stab the bad guy thing, thats where the monk came in. So any help or advise would be great!
  2. ARCHIVED-circusgirl Guest

Honestly? I would advise you to either reconsider your willingness to tank or reroll. You might enjoy playing something like a brig or swashy more--they're fairly defensive compared to other scouts.
    Monks definitely add to a group's dps, but you'll be adding less than Any of the 6 scouts (if you include what bards add to others in the group), any of the mages (if you include what enchanters add to the group), and under many circumstances (AE fights) you'll be adding less than zerkers and shadowknights to boot. Basically, you'll be about even with paladins and above guardians and healers. Its really not a dps class.
  3. ARCHIVED-songi86 Guest

Rolling a Monk with that mentality will only give us Monks more of a bad name. Please don't waste your time with a Monk if you don't plan on tanking.
  4. ARCHIVED-Corydonn Guest

weirdguy508 wrote:
    Play the class however you like to have fun. I run a playstyle just like yours for I am not a fan of tanking either and I think I get around the game fairly well. If you are just starting off hit up the STR line until Chi and then probably hit up INT for Crits and then WIS line for the AE proc and Crane Flock and when you get high enough AA for the STA line proc, Make sure you put Mantis Star on the hotbars as it's probably one of the best abilities we have as a non tanking brawler.
  5. ARCHIVED-BChizzle Guest

Corydonn wrote:
    I am going to have to diagree your best bet is to always go the ae line first then crits then reuse then you can go chi if you like.
  6. ARCHIVED-Shareana Guest

7. ARCHIVED-jrolla777 Guest

8. ARCHIVED-Khandor Guest

Corydonn wrote:
    Whups, didn't know about the link being a problem. Here's my post without the link:
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    Gonna agree here, don't listen to people telling you what to do, if you wanna dps as a monk, go for it. I've been a dps monk for 4 years now (and was a tanking monk for the 2 years before that). As the OP said you won't get top dps like a scout, but it's still pretty decent. Since I've recently come back from a break, I asked around for an AA build for soloing dps type of playstyle since I don't care to raid anymore.
    Though, from my own experience, I would say STR is the first line you should go down, then work on the AE stuff second. Though now with SF, I'm not sure if the STR line is best to go with first.
    Now granted, you WILL end up tanking no matter what, because there are just times where a group cannot find one, but anything outside of a raid isn't that bad. Raid tanking is a whole different story. But for just leveling up and doing groups off and on, I think the build in the other thread is the best way to go. Don't listen to people who tell you how to play your class. I see dps monks/zerkers/shadowknights all the time. It's usually the guardians and paladins who don't go dps. Guardians are especially designed for tanking anyways. I would say that zerkers and monks are the best suited to do dps. Monks are very versitile and very useful in groups for the buffs we bring. We're also group savers during a possible wipe as well. So, you play the class the way you wanna do it. I get into plenty of groups as a dps monk and do just fine. And I've read Corydonn's posts for a while too and I completely agree with what he says. I've dps'd for a long time, no problems getting into groups or raids. *well, before I stopped doing raids altogether :b*
  9. ARCHIVED-Aull Guest

As a monk it is best to be good at dps and even greater as a tank. I say this because if you get in a group as dps and the tank goes link dead or has to jet then you need to be able to fill this role.
    Most monks or I should say brawlers really needed to roll an assassin or a rogue. All I am saying is be prepared.
    I was in a group on my swash a few months back and this scenario happened on the last mob. Tank lost internet connection or something and the monk was asked to tank. Instead the five of us stood there while the monk spammed the channels for another tank. This monk btw was very very well geared and could have easily tanked the mob. After the pointless spamming the monk drops group and gates leaving the rest of us to find two replacements.
  10. ARCHIVED-TheSpin Guest

I would be very interested in a poll to see how many monks or even brawlers actually want to tank, and how many would rather fill a dps and/or utility type role.
  11. ARCHIVED-Mosha D'Khan Guest

TheSpin wrote:
    would not mind seeing that either, but i do mostly what aull said i get in a group and if they cant get a tank i tank, or if they tell me to tank then i tank. other than that i dps. most of the time the tank cant keep agro anyways and i have to tank because they cant keep agro so mostly solves my problem