Monk Discussion

Discussion in 'Fighters' started by Typos, Nov 15, 2012.

1. Typos Member

No Monk thread! /whip /scolds monks
    Thoughts on the class at the moment.

1. lack of ae power. (2 ae's and a encounter target lock using provoking stance) It really isn't bad except when mobs have hugeeee character models. I would support a way to increase the range of ae auto attack. It doesn't have to be something overpowered. Just a small increase would be help a bit.

2. Perfect guard... aptly named. Use it perfectly or your dead. 1 trigger stoneskin that you cant hit buttons or it cancels.. Current mechanics of blow it up as fast as possible and catch mobs as they memwipe make this ability a little weak in my book.

Feel free to add to this.. even tell me I'm wrong.
  2. Serik Active Member

1. Use Mantis Leap if you're having issues with AE aggro.

2. Superior Guard is just fine. If you're using it too early, pop an avoidance temp so an auto attack doesn't eat it up.
  3. Typos Member

ok, thanks for the input. Anything to add?
  4. rotate New Member

Yep Will of Heavens aa that adds physical cures, isn't curing physical detriments on raids.
  5. Zooce New Member

Returning monk here, can you link any monk guides / AA builds that include the new expansion? I left early DoV (Velious) and need to catch up!
  6. Silzin Active Member

to start off with i would recommend the this. As for the rest of the Prestige tree i think my tree is very slandered there. as you get better geared you can drop Hostility in the Heroic tree and go CD. to begin with +Hate will be the most impotent think you can get. after that AoE auto attach will help with your AoE aggro as well. you will need to work on your casting order to optimize the damage from Combination in the Monk tree. after you get your gear up and are aboutl to get your ability Reuse up so CHI is not needed anymore you can go with an AA speck like that one i am running. Mantis Leap helps a lot with memwiping adds and gives us a suto AoE snap when combined with our blue aoe's.

I am sure others with more experience can give you more suggestions.
  7. Silzin Active Member

Winds of Salvation

I want to like this ability but I am having a very hard time thinking of what to do with it, so I need help.
    With full points Winds of Salvation (WoS) has: Target AoE Block 5 sec duration, target 50% DR 5 sec duration, Monk and target CC cure and immunity, 15% per sec heal on target for 5 sec's, and 18 CB for 10 sec's. the ability with max reuse has a 45 sec recast.
    As I said it looks nice on paper but I am having a very hard time thinking of who or when to use it. the only 2 times I can think of when it could be used is:
    1. if you are the OT, to place on the MT as a save so they can stay in. this is assuming that the MT does not have a Stone Skin or DR to use for them self… or any other save of their own.
    2. on a Healer using the Target AoE Block so they can stay in letting them heal/cure you through the AoE that you both where supposed to get out on. Problem with this one, most of the time the healer will be more than 10m from the tank so that they don’t get killed by the other AoE's and then they will be ported to me the monk, placing them in a bad place. Also your Cleric or chanter should have a as fast AoE blocker that can be cast on that healer that needs to stay in.
    3. O ya the 3rd use… to cast on the raids Ranger or other caster that just got into position and mess up thier positioning, just because. tho this may be fun, it's not a practical use of a Defensive end line.

Can anyone come up with any changes that would make this ability more useful, or any better ways to use it as is?
  8. rotate New Member

OH I like to add something about monks.. They are useless and completely worthless in pvp.!
  9. Zooce New Member

Thanks for the pointers guys, appreciated.
    Rotate - why do you say we're not good in PvP?
  10. Bchizzle Active Member

Id say lack of heals mostly compared to other tanks
  11. Brickfist Member

lack of heals, lack of 360% taunts, loads of strikethrough on other tanks turns us to mush, no timered stoneskins only 3 instance stoneskins that don't get used unless hit by a big crit- on long reuse - useless for dots, 0 immunity to control effects, spell ward has turned useless since it can't crit anymore, taunt immunity broken.
  12. Brickfist Member

Since this is the monk discussion, I really feel cheated by not getting a mend in t10 that could do 100 after aa's, and no compensation to outward calm to make up for the crit being taken off.

As far as winds go, don't spec it unless you have a buttload of ability mod, the final aa is multiple individual attacks, not a single big hit so potency doesn't affect it much.

We need a CB stance focus added to recklessness so it's actually useable. Right now its below useful to not even being useable due to the fact our ca's do such small damage and the loss of the stance focus of our Flow Like Wind actually decreases dps.
  13. Roxina New Member

Just came back. Saw that we pick our focus effects now, as if they were racial traditions. Mind blown. Any what-not-to-wear recommendations?
  14. Brickfist Member

avoid wis/int gear.
  15. Estred Well-Known Member

Lack of heals compared to other tanks? Ask guardians then. We haven't had any combat heal since... ever.

edit: Arena's Endurance is a ~10hp heal per combat art... does that count?

not much else to say on that Monks make great MT's right now and with AE auto you can OT just fine. I see it all the time.
  16. Bchizzle Active Member

This is a monk discussion not a guardian one. Sorry that Jacck has to MT and OT for you, maybe if you did better he could be the OT he really wants to be.
  17. Estred Well-Known Member

I was making a point that you can't ignore the other fighter classes just to try and buff part of your own the class is balanced against its intended roll in group/raid and its performance in doing so compared to others of the class.

My point was that monks are not the only tank with "lack of heals" and the end of my post and I quote myself here "Monks make great MT's" They are doing solid currently so I don't see what the issue is. Also keep in mind I took part of your original comment out of context to drive a point that you need to be more aware of more than just your class. This can be especially tricky in PvP.

Yes the hit you took with the heal nerf hurt but it just brought brawlers in line with other tanks. Taunt immunity is iffy for all tanks that have it as taunts in PvP last 3 seconds roughly at best. The lack of your stoneskins triggering is due to them having not be rescaled to PvP levels properly under the pvp-spell version. I can't profess to know the class extremely well but I have played a monk before. So please leave the personal attacks out of the comments.
  18. Roxina New Member

lol

I meant "what not to wear" in the "what focus effects are total garbage" sense. Kind of a humor fizzle. >.>
  19. Netty Member

Just lol at your reckless comment... For the first both brawlers have Cranetwirl and mantisbolt that does ALOT of damage on somefights both with out reckless and with reckless.Other than that have you checked what Dragon fire does in reckless?
  20. Boli Active Member

The only time you need a 100% heal is on a deathsave as well... to be quite frank you cannot reliably heal yourself/someone on 0% health (e.g. unconscious) unless you are very lucky.

I dunno about monks personally but a lot of my heals are "wasted" in overhealing; even my lowest heal (~ 30%). If you are really worried about mend it may be best to concentrate on other aspects of it rather than its percentage strength which is often redundant ... e.g. taking all "waste heal" into a ward maybe?