Monk - Combination

Discussion in 'Fighters' started by Skydan, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Skydan New Member

Been meaning to make this post for a while but I wanted to try and get some more info before I possibly made myself out to be an idiot.

Combination is acting extremely weird - it is not doing as it says in the description and there is some hidden mechanic (bug?) stopping it from procing as much as it should do.

So combination triggers from a jab, kick, punch hit in a certain period of time, often the first 3 attempts to land combination used in a fight work without fail (as long as the jabs etc don't miss). However the problem comes when the punch abilities become ready to use again and the attempt is made to land the next combination.

I have found that if you use jabs or kicks (I always start with a jab and kick, can be done in any order) without using a punch to trigger combination as in a normal ca rotation it will stop the next combination from landing unless you stop using jabs or kicks for a long peroid of time. Its hard to explain -

Fight starts

Jab kick punch - combination hits
    Normal ca rotation until next punch comes up.
    Jab kick punch - no combination hits
    Jab kick punch - no combination hits
    Jab kick punch - no combination etc etc

The jabs and kicks in the normal ca rotation must be stopping the next combination from landing somehow I have noticed that after the last combination hits if you dont use any jabs or kicks until the next punch comes up, combination will land normally again.

Would it be possible to have this looked at? Or at least some info on what it is that causes combinations to fail like in my example and possibly put in the spell description so people know about it.

Thanks.
  2. Silzin Active Member

on my full CA rotation, i have 2 CA's before i start into my Combination attacks, and 1-2 after. I also go back to Roundhouse Kick and Walking Dragon before i start a new rotation again. with about 80% reuse, the first CA's are back up after this rotation and i have no down time.

On a test of 3 full rotations i just got 9 Combination hits, so i am not sure if there is a problem with your CA rotation or AA. If this does not help, let me know and i can help more, or some one else here that may know more then me can help also.
  3. The_Cheeseman Well-Known Member

As I have always understood it, Combination activates a hidden timer when you use a valid CA, and then tracks which other valid CAs are used during that time. So basically, when you use a Punch, Jab, or Kick CA, it activates the timer. The timer is around 5sec, or so, and if it registers that you used the other two kinds of CAs in that window, the Combination effect procs. However, if you fail the combination, the timer does not instantly reset. So, if you use a Jab, the timer starts. If you then use another jab immediately, the Combination has failed, but the timer still has about 4s left. Until the timer ends, any CAs you use are wasted, and will not count toward your next attempt at a Combination. This usually occurs when a CA in your combination misses, or when you don't have a Punch refreshed to complete the combination. Basically, the timer resets instantly upon successfully completing a Combination, but not when failing one.

The best way I have found to handle this is to always wait a few seconds after failing a combination before trying to start a new one. We have several useful CAs that don't count for Combination, so you can hit those while you are waiting for the timer to run out. Unfortunately, there is no way to tell exactly how long is left on the timer, so you just have to guess.
  4. Ammenraah New Member

As a new Monk, how do you know what CA is a jab or a punch. I mean, the kick is pretty obvious, but I don't seem to be getting my combinations correct, because it's not proc'ing. What order do you have your CA's in to get this to work? Thanks
  5. Errrorr An Actual EQ2 Player

The easiest way is to hover over the abilities in the Monk AA tree, and one line is Jabs, one line is Punches and one kicks.

Also agree with Cheeseman points on the timer resetting. It should work no matter what you do aslong as you Jab, Punch and Kick within 5 seconds. (Better yet, make the timer obvious rather than only the tooltip saying "Recently".
  6. Thand Well-Known Member

The lines do not help for most ability here is what i have figure out so far
    Kicks Rising Phoenix, roundhouse kick, Rising Dragon
    Punch Frozen Palm Striking Cobra, Arctic Talon, Devastation fist(?)
    Jab Waking Dragon,five rings,Silent Palm

I am not sure about Crescent strike Dragon fire , Charging Tiger Crane Sweep(possible kick?), Baton Flurry or hidden openings
  7. Silzin Active Member

As far as I know, Roundhouse kick, Rising Phoenix, and Rising Dragon are all Kicks.
    Walking Dragon, Five Rings, and Silent Palm are Punches (or Jabs, next group is other)
    Frozen Palm, Striking Cobra, and Arctic Talon are all Jabs.
    I don’t think Crescent Strike, Baton Flurry, Pressure Point, or Charging Tiger work for anything. If you want to know the order I use its below….
    Baton Flurry, Pressure Point, Rising Phoenix, Five Rings, Striking Cobra, Roundhouse kick, Walking Dragon, Frozen Palm, Rising Dragon, Silent Palm, Arctic Talon, then Charging Tiger. The 3 blue AoE’s are separated for use as needed.
  8. Nynaeve Active Member

<Trigger R="YOUR Combination" SD="comb" ST="3" CR="F" C="Monk" T="F" TN="MonkCombo" Ta="F" />

you can install ACT and use this trigger to get an audio message when a combination hits.
    It's a tool to figure out which combinations work. You can sort your hotbar buttons quickly with it.

you can make the trigger yourself... the "activating log text" is : YOUR Combination ..... (hits for bla bla).
  9. Kruelty New Member

Has anyone tested the ACT trigger "<Trigger R="YOUR Combination" SD="comb" ST="3" CR="F" C="Monk" T="F" TN="MonkCombo" Ta="F" />" It doesn't work for me?
  10. Silzin Active Member

<Trigger R="YOUR Combination" SD="" ST="1" CR="F" C=" General" T="T" TN="" Ta="F" />

this one should Beep every time you get a combo off.