Mobile Authenticator ?

Discussion in 'EQ2Players.com Website Discussion' started by ARCHIVED-tadashii, Jan 18, 2012.

1. ARCHIVED-tadashii Guest

The SOE Authenticator has been available for a while, and I have been eager to use it. I do, however, want just the mobile authenticator app. It has been "coming soon" for quite a while now. Is it behind schedule or are we redefining soon? Is this going to be rolled into an EQ2 phone app that actually works? Anybody know anything?
  2. ARCHIVED-Dargonic Guest

I hope you really dont expect a answer on this. Players have been asking where this was since a month after it was announced as coming soon and still to this day not a single word from SOE on the status.
    My guess is we still wont see it for another year or so. They are going to wait until they bleed the physical key dry of money then put the right to use the mobile authenticator on station cash for 999 (9.99 USD) station cash. Once purchased it will send you a serial number number to "activate" the mobile authenticator. Any way for SJ to suck more money out of players it will be found and done.
  3. ARCHIVED-Lempo Guest

4. ARCHIVED-Sty Frost Guest

COMING SOON yes SOE loves to use that term. I just dont think they know what it means.
  5. ARCHIVED-Dargonic Guest

Lempo@Everfrost wrote:
    We are talking about the mobile authenticator for Android and iPhones. Not the security key.
    And sony is making much more off those units then you think. In 2006 Vasco (makers of Blizzards Keys) released a document about their digipass lineup in 2004, the cost per token was ~$3.50. In 2005, it was ~$3.00 each. And in 2006, it cost ~$2.00 each per token. Thats including all related costs (parts, labor, shipping, various manufacturing costs such as power, etc).
    All they are are really just small LCD clocks with a factory-encoded key they're not hard to create either. A basic soft-token apps literally take 1-2 hours to program and there's even plenty of open source examples online so there is no legit excuse on why one has not been released yet other then they are bleeding the profits from the hardware version dry first.
  6. ARCHIVED-Kasar Guest

Dargonic wrote:
    I think you're overestimating SOE's capabilities these days. I wouldn't use the authenticator because I would fully expect it to be broken at random times and once broken, dead for weeks or longer. SOE is truly becoming a F2P developer.
  7. ARCHIVED-Felshades Guest

Lempo@Everfrost wrote:
    WoWs has always been 6 bucks. And no shipping cost. They actually LOSE money on them.