Mobhunter review misquote

Discussion in 'Community News' started by ARCHIVED-Xavian, Nov 30, 2004.

1. ARCHIVED-Xavian Guest

EQplayers mis-quotes Loral's EQ2 review as saying:

Mobhunter Reviews EQ II
    The Mobhunter reviewer describes "the release of EverQuest 2 as an earth-shattering event."

[/QUOTE]

Here's what was realy said, in context:
    Everquest 1's numbers certainly dropped in the last two weeks. However, I hear other guild leaders say that Halo 2, Half Life 2, Grand Theft Auto: San Andraes, and the holidays in general take more players away from EQ than World of Warcraft or Everquest 2. While it looks like EQ numbers dropped in the last couple of weeks, we won't know its real impact until the worlds settle and we see where everyone ends up. I wouldn't count anything as fact until early next year.
    It is easy to look at the release of Everqust 2 as an earth-shaking event. We play in a community where the decisions of a sword or a bow bring hundreds of angry rangers to the doors of SOE. From some of the passion we read on the EQ forums and even on the comments on previous Mobhunter articles, it would seem we traveled far outside the realm of a simple game.
    But Everquest and Everquest 2 are games. We buy them, we install them, we play them, and we talk about them. Sure, these aren't like any other games before them. No couple ever met and got married over Ratchet and Clank. Everquest is one of the best games I have seen. If my dollar is my vote, I bought two copies of the game, one as a gift, and signed up for a year-long subscription including all of the web features. The total price was over $200 but I expect a high entertainment reward for my investment. Everquest 2 is an amazing game and I look forward to watching young Pavlen progress through this vast world.
    [/QUOTE]
    That's a bit different when put into context.
    I generally agree with the review. The game is fun, and I think it will be for a long time. It is, by far, the best release SOE has ever put out. Smooth launch, fairly bug free, playable at launch... Thats more than can be said about other previous releases *cough*SWG*cough* I had such high hopes for that game. :( I was very surprised from the moment I got the box. Now if I could just get a few of the devs here to waltz over to the SWG wing and go straighten out SWG and put it on the All Access plan, I'd give my first-born to SOE... lol
    Nit-picking here, I know. I got to find something to do since my hard drive failed and I can't play my warrior. :)
  2. ARCHIVED-Musiques Guest

lets not have any intermingling of SWG and EQ2 devs please =P
  3. ARCHIVED-Loral Guest

Well, the quote they probably wanted I ended up screwing up in a typo. I originally said that "Everquest is one of the best games I've played" when what I meant was "Everquest 2 is one of the best games I've ever played". Thats a better quote and one that I would agree with.

I did find the pull from the review to be a bit funny since the beginning was "It is easy to look at the release of Everqust 2 as an earth-shaking event." My point is that its just a game and we should review it as a game. Is it fun? Does it progress well? Does it do everything it can to bring players together? Is it easy to play? Does it look good? Are the stories well done? Are the dungeons well designed? The answer to all of these, at least so far, is a very heavy Yes. It's a great game and even if someone only played it for the first month with the free 30 day trial, they'd get a lot for their $40.

Anyway, I don't mind the quote but if SOE wanted to take the newly edited quote from the article:

"Everquest 2 is one of the best games I have ever seen."

That quote probably better captures what I want and what SOE wants people to hear. I fixed the typo in the article to this.
  4. ARCHIVED-Straylight Guest

Actually, SWG is a much better game since the JTL expansion. The JTL expansion is really fun for me...and the only reason why I keep the game subscription. Were it not for JTL, I would have cancelled SWG the day EQ2 was released.

If you want to talk about rocky launches....

EQ1. EQ1 kinda 'broke the internet' the first few days. Heh.
  5. ARCHIVED-Tanga Nuska Guest

The problem with the raving reviews is that none of them really capture the problems the game has. It's fun to play on the IoR, but which reviewer actually went to level 20 with their toon, and which reviewer actually did crafting to level 20?

Let's see the headlines an in-depth review would generate and I guarnatee that those headlines would never end up on EQ2players.com's front page.
  6. ARCHIVED-Loral Guest

I'm level 17 and I still like the game. Even going to level 20 won't really tell us what the game will be like at the higher levels. I account for this in my review when I mention that all of the good quest stuff people rave about also exists in EQ1 until you hit level 20ish.
  7. ARCHIVED-Saturation Guest

Let's not forget Anarchy Online and Ultima Online (Ancient) which numbers are dwindling as well form all of these...

-P