Fixed Internally Mini-map Suddenly Popping Up

Discussion in 'Resolved' started by Vexil, Dec 13, 2021.

1. Rattophaxe Well-Known Member

Ok, so I look under options > UI > Advanced > Map window and I have a tick next to "show mini map". De-tick it and the map disappears. Ctrl-M does exactly the same (ie, toggles the mini-map). So far so good.

So is the problem that de-checking it doesn't make it stay off? <several zonings later... nope, still off>

PS> Right underneath "show mini-map" in options is "show pending claims on mini-map". This is currently un-checked for me -- but trying to check it does nothing -- the checkbox is refusing to accept input.

So it appears that someone once upon a time thought to add an option to turn off pending claims notifications, but its been disabled?
  2. Thordalf Developer

It looks like the note for this fix never got added to the patch notes, but it should have been fixed in the 2/22 update:

USER INTERFACE
    • The mini map will no longer be forced to show when there are pending claims.
    • There is now an option in advanced settings to disable claim notifications on the mini map.
    Please let us know if this is still an issue.
  3. TechUp Active Member

I can see the "Show Pending Claims on Mini Map" check box, and it is unchecked but I'm still seeing the question mark for claims on the mini-map. If I try and click on the check box, it will not accept any input:

[IMG]

and this is using the default UI.
  4. Twyla Well-Known Member

Same for me.
  5. Rattophaxe Well-Known Member

Well, like I said above, and others have verified, this option appears to exist, but doesn't actually do anything. The checkbox cannot be "checked".
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Twyla like this.
  6. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

My mini-map on my noob Templar on Maj'Dul still has things to /claim (duh; he's like level TWO) and the Mini-Map has been Ctrl+M'ed by me several times now, because it keeps popping up...like, when he goes to a quest giver to talk to them, or when he finishes a quest, or when he successfully Collects or Harvests something, or... >:-/

EDIT: Ah! This time, it popped up once he got finished looking at stuff in his inventory! :mad:

EDIT: And once again, right after defeating an opponent. X-P

EDIT: On levelling from 3rd to 4th...

EDIT: On picking up a book from a bookshelf ("Life Among the Goblins")...

Now, mind you, it isn't consistent; that would be asking too much...

EDIT: In all fairness, the one place on my screen where it has less of a chance of taking up way too much room and infuriating me even further is over (should be under, but apparently it's not staying there, either) my Chat window, so maybe it activates, check box or no check box, every time (with a bit of it not doing so, just for variety) something happens that's displayed on my Chat window. X-P

Seriously, can't we just kill the stupid thing once and for all, in some game file or another? Please? :-/

Uwk
    who'll try that whole "don't have the question mark show up" check box, but isn't holding out any particular hopes... :-/
    Rosyposy and Twyla like this.
  7. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

I've got the "Show Mini Map Window" box UNCHECKED and it isn't helping. >:-/

EDIT: Okay, I unchecked the New Map System check box, in an attempt to kill the dang stupid Mini-Map monstrosity (which, ironically, came on AGAIN after I'd /claimed something...), and even with running the risk of the stupid Mini-Map popping up randomly, I find I infinitely prefer the new map to the old one, which is just ridiculous and worse than the Mini-Map. X-P

Now, if only there were actually a way to deal with the Mini-Map once and for all, my gaming life would be complete... :-/

Uwk
    who still wants an option to KILL THIS THING once and for all...
    Rosyposy likes this.
  8. Tkia Well-Known Member

You've got one. That's what "Show Mini Map Window" is supposed to be. The fact that it doesn't appeear to work is a whole other issue, not to mention the fact that the subsidiary box doesn't even allow input ...

Oh, and in all of this I haven't once seen the problem despite having dozens of unclaimed items. Is it only a problem of new expansion features or something?
  9. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

It was something really recent that some dev or other might've thought was a good idea for -- whatever reason; maybe our /claim items are cluttering up the servers very badly or whatever, so they figured we needed a reminder to...apparently clear out every single item we have in /claim, so that something somewhere isn't inconvenienced? No idea, really, but deciding which toon got a "one per account" thing was apparently much easier when there were only 7, max. Since they started selling us Character Slots (yay! :D), that has -- gone up a bit... :-/

So, for those folks who actually like the silly Mini-Map thing and find it useful for whatever reason, there's apparently a clock face thingee somewhere in there that's now being taken up by the big obnoxious green question mark! :eek: that indicates you've still got something left to /claim. :-/

Kind of pointless with me, since a) I have way more than 7 toons, and deciding which one will get the "one per account! :p" thing is nigh impossible, and b) I detest the stupid Mini-Map and want it gone from my game. My game, not anyone else's, so no one needs to feel threatened by my request...except maybe the dev who came up with this new idea in the first place is offended. :-/

Uwk
    Twyla and Daryx like this.
  10. Daryx Well-Known Member

I almost hate to say this, but I haven't been having the issue anymore. I know I was one of the original ones to post the problem, but in the last couple updates (didn't really notice when) my mini-map has been staying closed. I have the options box unchecked. If it is a character I haven't logged on in awhile then the map is open but either zoning or using ctl-M (which has always worked for me to close it) puts it to rest.

I wonder what could be set up different for me than you, Uwk. I didn't see the new "show pending claim items on mini map" checkbox in the options under Map Window till I just now looked at the options, and mine is unchecked. (It came that way as I've never actually unchecked it.) What I have is new map system checked, and the next two (show mini map, show claims) unchecked. I don't see anything else in the map options that looks like it would affect this.

Also, I am using EQ2Maps with the default UI except for one or two custom UI windows.
    Breanna and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  11. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

I have no idea either; maybe it is because of where it is, in the mere vicinity of my Chat window? No idea. :(

I will say, it does seem to be affecting my poor noob (who went from level 5 to level 22 after turning in a few Collection quests...we'll see if that makes a difference for him ;->) worse than any of the rest of us. :-/

Uwk
    who really would prefer not to be paranoid about the devs...
    Rosyposy likes this.
  12. Thordalf Developer

The "Show Pending Claims on Mini Map" option should now be able to accept your input after tomorrow's update, and having it unchecked (will be checked by default) will keep the claim icon from popping up in the future.
  13. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Fingers crossed! :D Thanks! :)

Uwk
    Breanna likes this.
  14. Ratalthor Developer

Is this issue still happening for anybody?
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  15. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

I've noticed it once, recently, but not again since, thankfully. I'll see what it looks like after I jump in from today's downtime. :)

EDIT: My bad; it's back... :-/

Uwk
    the Hopeful (but Still Puzzled as to why we can't just nuke it from a file if we don't want the silly thing at all :-/)
    Breanna likes this.
  16. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Nope, still activating. X-P

I don't recall whether or not there was the "CLAIM YOUR STUFF NOW!!!" question mark in the green circle on the annoyance -- er, Mini-Map; my Pavlovian response to such things now is to Ctrl+M kill it on sight. X-P

EDIT: Yep, /claim question mark's still there. And the Mini-Map popped up again after zoning, regardless of having already Ctrl+M'd it. X-P

Uwk

P.S. This was originally wrongly posted on the Daily Objectives is Stuck thread; it's finally back where it belongs. :) --U.
    Breanna likes this.
  17. Ratalthor Developer

Anybody still affected by this issue please try again after the next update and let us know if it is still happening to you.
  18. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Well, I hadn't noticed it for awhile, but then I've been trying to get in-game mail tonight...ta-da, there it is. X-P

EDIT: My bad; it wasn't the mail, it was trying to buy something off the Marketplace... X-P

Uwk
    Breanna likes this.
  19. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Yep, still happening, mostly with new low-level toons (yes, again... :oops:). This time, it's not the /claim question mark, it's the "THERE ARE 14 UNREAD TUTORIALS. CLICK TO VIEW" nag, and it comes up when I turn in a quest, when I start a quest, when I /claim something (thus kind of defeating the prior /claim nag), when my toon kills something, when I get into my in-game mail, when I put on a piece of Appearance gear, when I zone into a house or Guild Hall, when I talk to just about any NPC, and in general, ignoring the near-constant Ctrl+M+M (since merely one dose doesn't get rid of it) for any length of time, seemingly. X-P

Can't we just have an option (not necessarily an Option; that doesn't seem to work) where this thing DOES NOT SHOW UP??? At all (but by player choice, since there are some folks out there who actually like it)? Ever? Can't we just go into a game file somewhere and set a 1 to a 0? Will it blow up the servers? Will it wipe every particle of game data from our hard drives? Why is this thing being clung to so fiercely by the devs?? :-/

Uwk
    Breanna likes this.
  20. Twyla Well-Known Member

You can turn off the tutorial stuff in your char window. It's one of the first things I do when I create a new toon.