Merge Downtimes: Crushbone, Butcherblock, and Oasis - Updates Inside!

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Roshen, Oct 16, 2015.

1. Finora Well-Known Member

4 hours really is unreasonable, even if it is only going to be temporary. While I'm all access and only have a characters on Maj'dul (formerly Butcherblock and Crushbone) for house visiting, I certainly sympathize with those F2P/Silver players who can't even get on. A 15/20 minute queue sure, I could understand but 4 HOURS? (And it is still 4 hours, I just tried to log on one of my house visiting characters). It's very off putting to me and as I said I've got all access on the main account.
    Belenos likes this.
  2. Blackdog Member

I just got booted after being on all day, logged back into a 3.5hr q. guess what? time for bed :) no skin off my nose if I NEVER get back in lol

ok, ok, that wasn't meant to be as neener neener as it sounded..sorry you cant get in folks but if you log earlier there is no q. JS
  3. Maddestmonte Member

I for one certainly didn't mean to belittle your opinion.

My thinking is, at least for last night, that these Qs would be temporary. I still think this won't be the new norm. As Holly stated, players logging in for the first time take a lot of memory. In a couple weeks, everyone will have logged in for the first time, and it should allow more players onto the server at once with less complications.

What I meant to say when I said it was common sense, is that issues for the first few days after a big merge like that, high spiking population, issues, lag and such always should be expected to some degree, as there are a lot of curious people checking out every toon they have, renaming, making sure they get the name they want, etc, even if they aren't normally playing a lot.

It'll settle down in time. Have patience.
    Adevil and Blackdog like this.
  4. Adevil Well-Known Member

5. Finora Well-Known Member

She can re-tweet it as many times as she wants, and it won't make 4 hour queues reasonable. /shrug

I'm glad I'm all-access on on the accounts that really matter to me. I'm not looking forward to this when the rest of the servers get merged. Been through a lot of merges, never saw queues so long before. I hope for the sake of the players affected it's remedied soon.
    Belenos and Juraiya like this.
  6. Adevil Well-Known Member

She's never retweeted that one before. It's new. /shrug
  7. Belenos Well-Known Member

I certainly hope this is true, because I won't play a game where I must sit in a queue just to log on. And yes, my two main accounts are always subbed, but this is about more than just sitting in a queue. If a queue is required after the server is normalized, it just means there are too many people on the server, and that affects far more than just log-in times. It affects the quality of game-play. Too many people underfoot leads to the feeling of being a sheep in a pen; it kills any real ambiance for the explorer. And it makes contested anything--even harvesting nodes--a PITA. And I am not basing this only on a queue, but also on a comment someone already made in this thread--that the server is "crowded as hell" before any of the F2P people even get on. So how crowded will it be when the queue disappears and everyone is on at once?

Yes, I was one of those who was against merges, but when the merges became inevitable, I asked on these forums to "please just do not overdo it!" I really hope they have not.
  8. Adevil Well-Known Member

I know how you feel. Freeport's population always seemed fine, if not a bit too high at times. Here's hoping Nagafen's low population will help mitigate the damage on Skyfire.
    Livejazz and Belenos like this.
  9. Mystfit Well-Known Member

Question, how did discos work on the new server? Did everything reset and get *discod* again. Did people keep their own discos? I was jsut curious if guild chats were filled with *disco dings* ;)
  10. Maddestmonte Member

As someone from Nagafen waiting for the merge I can answer that.

I have been back playing for a month, and the biggest group I've been in is me, someone else, and a merc. You can't group with people from freeport on Nagafen if you are from Qeynos, but still. Highest population I've seen in that month is 23 people on Q side. I was like WOW LOOK AT ALL THOSE PEOPLE. Lowest I've seen is 3 people on, in Qeynos, On average during the busy game times, there are 15 people online. Which, if let's say the same was on Freeport side, let's call it 30 people online during spike times, and 10 on during the non peak hours.

So we shall add 10-30 people at any given time to the Freeport population.

I really don't think we're going to crash your servers lol
  11. Adevil Well-Known Member

That's exactly what I meant :) And I do know it's very low population. Sounds like the Qeynos side is about the same as the Freeport side, can't recall when I last saw more than 30.

Edit: What I don't know is how populated Permafrost is.
    Maddestmonte likes this.
  12. Finora Well-Known Member

The other people can repost what she tweeted all they want and it still doesn't make 4 hour queues reasonable. :p
  13. Eradani Well-Known Member

i was wondering if that was me you were grouped with until you said you were from qeynos :) i actually saw 26 on FP side last week.

i don't know how many people just deleted their toons on naggy to start over on deathtoll, but i suspect it wasn't everyone or even most. i suspect many that are on deathtoll currently will check out their naggy, er skyfire toons once the merge is over so it may be busy at first but with no pvp...
  14. Maddestmonte Member

I tried creating on permafrost to find out, and it was pretty quiet over there too. Not as dead as nagafen certainly, but not as busy as freeport server. I think we can safely say that freeport is the populated server here, and Naggy/Perma will help make it feel bustling and vibrant rather than just sustainable in terms of population.

I'm really looking forward to it! I remember starting to play this game in 2006. It was SOOO busy, and for me, it really made it feel MASSIVE online, and I was on the QUIETEST server (Vox). I absolutely miss that feel, and believe it or not, (for newerplayers reading this, older players already know) even Antonia Bayle, and even the Timelocked servers pale in comparison now to what even some of the more quiet servers put out back then. On Vox, because it was PvP, before the EoF expansion sort of spread people out into more zones?

At that time you could easily see 100 people just in Antonica. 50 of them would be around the griffon tower close to Steppes trying to stop people from getting to the zone (you couldn't take bells in those days, you HAD to run it).

To go from that kind of population to not even enough to form a group?

Yeah, I don't care if I have to wait in Qs. (even though the Qs are temporary and it will be fine people) For me, it'll be 100% worth it, and make EQ2 feel almost like old times again.
  15. SpriteGal New Member

16. Maddestmonte Member

Again, this is temporary. I know it's frustrating but within a week it'll all be fine.
  17. SpriteGal New Member

I do not believe this. I think they are just saying it so many don't cancel their preorders.
    And I fear one of the upcoming merges will mean all my silvers in that merge will be blocked from something like the Heroes Festival.
  18. Klazdaxthunisme New Member

So many whiny mewly babies that have no patience because they've always stomped their feet and been given their bottle. Go cry on eqflames I hear that's as dead as nagafen. (/who all. 15 people online when I made a toon to wait for server merges.). 1 paid account and 2 ftp all toons on maj dul. No qeues just no warning disconnects. And I camped to consecutive toons 5times to update UI settings and check research no problems. So this priority for paid accounts is (insert expletive deleted aimed at said whiny babies previously mentioned.) let them fix this and go play call of duty if you cant wait.
  19. Maddestmonte Member

Whether or not you believe it, it makes perfect sense for reasons I've already explained twice. To explain it a third time, more people are logging in than is normal for the server as it is still fresh, and people are checking everything. AND as Holly said, players logging in for the first time take WAY more memory.

So either have patience or don't. It's temporary either way.
  20. Eradani Well-Known Member

what the devs are saying is:

for every toon that logs in for the first time on Maj, the system has to read the whole book of experiences for that toon for its entire lifetime. this will take more than a moment or two so they've put in a queue so the system doesn't get overwhelmed with way too much data to import.

this says to me that accounts won't be copied over to the new server until, and unless, someone tries to play them. something that devs might have done is to assume that anyone who has played on the 3 merged servers in the past week is going to play again on the new server and actually copy those toon's data before the servers were brought up again. i totally understand the need to not carry over all that extra data from abandoned accounts, but active accounts - probably safe to assume that active last week = active this week.

as for the issue about paying customers getting precedence in this procedure over non-paying people - go figure...
    Prissetta and Livejazz like this.