Mercenary help

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by Leloes, Nov 10, 2019.

1. Leloes Well-Known Member

I'm thinking of hiring a mercenary and would like to know who would be a good companion for my warlock? I'd also like some pointers on making quick money so I'm able to pay mercenary. Thanks!
    Soara2 likes this.
  2. Beee Well-Known Member

i did not really notice a difference in the healing merces. Get one and Keep leveling it. There is no use to upgrade it when you see new merces.

But it might be usefull to start with a new merc on beginning of the new expansion
    Soara2 likes this.
  3. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

Siggy and I with the help of a few others made a wiki page for Mercenaries. It was done in January and February of this year, so you might want to take a peak at that. I will give you a link:

https://eq2.fandom.com/wiki/Mercenaries

If you cannot heal, you might want to look at a healer merc and put it on passive so that all it does is heal and cure you. If you need a meat shield, go for one of the tank types. You are on MajDul, maybe someone here from MajDul could help you to get Zhugurus, I believe he is obtainable by Free to Play now. If you have gone ahead and subbed, then perhaps someone will help you to complete the Panda Yun Zi's Days of Summer 2017, I believe that is the one that we could get Evania from, she is a great healer and she can rez if needed and she pummels the mobs as well.

Make sure you have the mercenary feature or you cannot use the mercenaries anyway. Type this in your chat box:

/show_account_features

This will show you everything that you have available on your account. If the mercenary feature is not listed there, you would either need to buy the feature for Daybreak Cash from the marketplace or buy the Expansion, although, I would verify with a red name as to whether you get access to the mercenary feature with BoL.
    Soara2, Neranya and Leloes like this.
  4. Leloes Well-Known Member

Not subbed yet. Hopefully, if things workout, I'll be able to next month. If I remember correctly when I was subbing I did get the mercenaries added to my account. Shouldn't they still be available to me? I'll check with the /show_account_features when I'm back in game. My shoulder is starting so I kind of need to give it a break. Know what I mean?:p
    Soara2 likes this.
  5. Leloes Well-Known Member

Yep, mercenaries is listed as one of my account features!:D
  6. Leloes Well-Known Member

So, which should I go with? Tank or healer?
    Soara2 and Breanna like this.
  7. Cusashorn Well-Known Member

Why not a Paladin? They keep agro off you quite nicely and can keep you healed. I also notice that most mercenaries are straight up overpowered (at least until post-100, so you can hire a mage and his melee damage will kill most things dead in seconds. At least that's what I get from the dwarf cleric I bought in Qeynos harbor.
  8. Leloes Well-Known Member

Paladin? Would he work with a warlock?
    Soara2, Cyrrena and Breanna like this.
  9. Cusashorn Well-Known Member

I'm a monk, and I had to team up with a paladin merc for a story quest. I couldn't draw agro away from him and he kept me healed without incident.
  10. Leloes Well-Known Member

Well, I guess I could check him out when I'm next in the game.
  11. Neranya Member

I usually leave all my mercs set so all they do is Follow. I activate them if I need help because they all blow stuff away so fast and I feel its my characters job to do the 'heavy lifting' (and it helps me learn my class better). Even when set to just Follow, a healer and a paladin merc will keep you healed up while fighting.
    My cleric is only 29 and I was harvesting in Sinking Sands for Qho, and for the heck of it I sent my paladin against a caiman (in the 40's I believe) and with me just healing, he beat it. I had him fight a jungle cat there but I ran out of power healing him and he only got it to about 50% health. Some mobs are tougher than others. But the mercs are all quite powerful.
    Soara2 and Cyrrena like this.
  12. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

You can hire as many as you want, it is just that if you switch to a different one, you will need to go back to where you hired them to switch to a different one unless you use DBCash to unlock them to hire them anywhere. Then you can switch them up anywhere you like.
  13. Leloes Well-Known Member

I decided to hire the paladin. He's been a real help getting me out of some really tough spots.
  14. Neranya Member

Yeah the paladin will do well for you. If my cleric's pally is fighting a bunch of tough mobs where he's not just blowing them away it gives me a good chance to practice healing / keeping him alive.
    Soara2, Cyrrena and Leloes like this.