Mercenary Acting Strange

Discussion in 'Players Supporting Players' started by Kojinus, Mar 15, 2018.

1. Kojinus New Member

So every time I send my mercenary in to attack an enemy, he just runs up and stops just short of melee range of the enemy and just... sits there in a fighting pose. If the enemy moves, he'll inch along with it still just outside of melee range.

I'm using Daeron Ashenwing and Vittia Direshadow, the issue happens with both of them.

If I attack the enemy and bring it closer, he'll fight it, but he won't get close enough to engage on his own. This is happening incredibly consistently, maybe 1 in every 20 enemies I tell him to fight he'll actually fight.

Am I doing something wrong? I'm just returning from a few year break and this never happened before, so I don't know if there's anything new with mercs that I should know about.
  2. Evilnok Active Member

I have seen my merc fight the mob under the ground a few times so I had to tell em to back off so I could see the mob and loot after the fight was done lol so I just fly right into the mob instead of running into em nowadays with merc summoned and that seems to work alot better instead of sending them to tag mobs
  3. Juraiya Well-Known Member

I see that happen all the time. It's gotten to to the point that whenever he does that, I just pull the mob directly to the merc. It doesn't seem to matter what merc it is, either.

It's pretty inconsistent, though. Sometimes he goes in like he should, sometimes he doesn't.

Sometimes it happens when I'm rooted, even when my merc isn't. I wonder then, is this some kind of sympathetic rooting he's got? :p

I've also seen him do the fight-inside-the-wall or fight-under-the-ground thing or even fight-up-in-the-trees, and yeah, you have to dove the merc then, to get him back to you, and then manually set him to fight again. That's a real PITA.
  4. ConcealFate Well-Known Member

I don't think your doing anything wrong. I had asked about the same issue a long time ago....and correct me if I'm wrong..... apparently the reason has something to do with people using the merc to level their toons while afk. They stay just outside agro range for that reason. In other words...if you don't approach the mob neither will they. Not really a solid answer but it's what I remember.
  5. Meneltel Well-Known Member

Bah, Daeron acting strange would be if he kept his mouth shut for more than 2 minutes! :)

I actually liked him. He would at least talk some what while being useful in combat!
    Juraiya likes this.
  6. Kojinus New Member