Mercenaries

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by ARCHIVED-eidand, Jul 12, 2011.

1. ARCHIVED-Quicksilver74 Guest

Lalen@Everfrost wrote:
    Why shouldn't it Rez? Having a merc rez you would be amazing!
  2. ARCHIVED-Darthor Guest

Crabbok@Unrest_old wrote:
    It doesn't matter if there was 1 appearance slot, the fact that you can take that armor off the merc (attunable) and turn around and sell it in the broker makes no logical sense. It should either be attuned to the player or the merc and therefor unable to be sold after someone wears it. Afterall if a player has to attune it, what would exempt a merc? If the gear is non-attuneable there no problems.
    The deal is, not all players are on their A game. Some can, some are folks that have bad eye-sight, or still learning the game. No trip to flames will teach them how to play their class, good one-on-one with that character will teach them and contructively so. But by your very own admission, the mercs are going to do the opposite of promoting this attitude.
    Are you kidding? Having a bot to sit there and chain rez you while you zurg a named is not a tiiiiiny bit "wrong"?
    Marnus@Antonia Bayle wrote:
    Maybe they fixed it but we use to get rezzies while in passive.
  3. ARCHIVED-Wizdain Guest

Marnus@Antonia Bayle wrote:
    If you are a feign death class and are running through an area with aggro mobs and get aggro, you may not want your healer merc to heal you before you get safely feigned. A passive setting will be needed IMO.
  4. ARCHIVED-Illmarr Guest

Lalen@Everfrost wrote:
    Sounds good to me
  5. ARCHIVED-Quicksilver74 Guest

Lalen@Everfrost wrote:
    Because the merc isn't truly "wearing" any of that armor. It's just displaying it so you can see pretty stuff on your screen. Just like if you decorate a Mannequin or Guild Hall Guard, no attunement is required. The only difference here is that the merc will store the items. If the storage of those appearance items is honestly THAT much of a concern, I'm sure they coudl mirror the mannequin method of simply imprinting the appearance rather than storing the item. But honestly it's just a few slots, and considering the cost you'll be paying the merc, he can hold a few items for ya.
  6. ARCHIVED-Darthor Guest

No, personal house maniquens require attuened items as it says in its description, and if that is the case, mercs should too.
    Edit: gahh that may have been another game I was thinking about with maniquins requiring items to be attuned. >_>
    At any rate if mercs are supposed to be a player to crutch a group, they should also have items attuned.
    Edit2: Ahh thats right because maniquins don't actually have the item on them... they stay in a house or invintory slot... This is a good idea btw... no slots ON the merc, but require the player to keep the item in their inventory or bank... That would be fine.
  7. ARCHIVED-Quicksilver74 Guest

Lalen@Everfrost wrote:
    You are putting words in my mouth.
    First of all, you cannot zerg in this game anymore. That hasn't been a conceptual reality since my old guild, Ethereal Legacy, used Death coordination back in 2007. You would be rezed with no power, and with revive sickness. You'd be weak, and likely missing a couple of buffs depending on your class. Oh, don't forget now the mob that just killed you is beating on your merc. Oh, and by the way, this is all with the asusmption that the instant you die, the encounter doesn't reset... because normally when you solo a mob, the instant you die, the mob resets.

But lets say that the merc does indeed keep the encounter from resetting, you really expect mercs to have the ability to chain rez you over and over, all the while surviving the onslaught from a mob that was tough enough to kill YOU? I think you seriously overestimate the power they are gonna give these things.

x
  8. ARCHIVED-Quicksilver74 Guest

Lalen@Everfrost wrote:
    I can't believe you honestly want players to effectively Destroy their appearance armor just to decorate a merc, especially with Station Cash armor. Like, seriously, that's like saying that if you want to decoaret a Mannequin in your house, you must perma-lock the items to that Mannequin.

Decoartions in this game are made to be moved around.
  9. ARCHIVED-Wizdain Guest

"Are you kidding? Having a bot to sit there and chain rez you while you zurg a named is not a tiiiiiny bit "wrong"?"
    Why shouldn't a healer group member (merc or real player) who is still alive not rez someone who has fallen? If a real life player can rez you if hes alive then a merc should do the same. If you are only grouped with the merc then he will be taking a beating the whole time he is trying to rez you. I see ZERO problems with allowing healer mercs to rez.
  10. ARCHIVED-Darthor Guest

Yeah you can, I've done it, you get a ranger to kite the mob around while you run back and you can sit and zurg about any mob you have nerve to.
    I didn't put any words in your mouth as you said they should be able to rez everyone from a death without agro essentially being a rez or save-point bot... This is not the way the game was intended and I would be very disappointed if this was allowed.
    Wizdain wrote:
    Look at it this way, what player would do this? Just sit and be a rez bot for you? See how this makes that desirability vs a player meter rise a little? This meter needs to stay as close to 0 as it can without making a merc useless to someone wanting to get out of the guild hall and giving him reason to LFG still.
    Do keep in mind if they're like EQ1 mercs, they will not get sight agro like players making it so they won't have to sit and take damage.
  11. ARCHIVED-Darthor Guest

The maniquins don't store the gear either -- you MUST have bag/bank space for the gear.
  12. ARCHIVED-Gninja Guest

To ease a few concerns that seem to be an ongoing discussion here:
    Appearance gear that Mercs use will be used solely for appearance and will not be able to be used as storage. How exactly we do that we are unsure about at this point but its on my list of "Find a solution for"
    As far as resurrecting in combat etc priest mercs should have rez capabilities but they will be subject to the same cooldowns that players get and in some cases have more severe cooldowns. Also keep in mind mercs are basic meaning they might not have all the cool AA abilities players get for rezzing such as raid wide rez or the like.
  13. ARCHIVED-Cuelaen Guest

Wizdain wrote:
    I hadn't thought of this-in this case i could see having a "passive" stance in eq2
  14. ARCHIVED-Darthor Guest

Gninja wrote:
    I may can help you here.. Make it so that the player has to have the appearance item in his/her inventory. If they want to set it as a merc appearance item they can simply right-click "Mercenary Armor" and it appears on the merc while staying in the inventory (like Manequens work). I think this would be an excellent solution.
  15. ARCHIVED-Lempo Guest

Gninja wrote:
    I guess this is in response to will dying mercs heal mobs, if that is the case it will be exploited somehow someway down the line. If they die then they need to heal the mob just as a player dying does, if the players group/raid can't keep them up they should suffer the same consequences.
  16. ARCHIVED-Illmarr Guest

Something I don't understand on the whole using the Merc as storage for gear...
    Didn't Gninja say that they would be able to be dressed in Apperance only gear and not actual gear? So it's not like you're storing any adventuring gear on a Merc. Worst case scenario of Merc storage seems to me to be you start whatever you are doing with a naked/default apperance merc. Over the course of your partnership with the Merc you can give it a max of seven pieces of apperance armor, two apperance weapons and an apperance ranged item for a total of 10 items. I'm assuming that if you want to change it's apperance, you take back the old piece and replace it with a new one. I don't see anything gamebreaking in an extra 10 slots on top of the max of 264 not counting an ammo container player can already achieve
  17. ARCHIVED-IceStormx Guest

Gninja wrote:
    How well will Mercs dps and heal? Will they be abled to replace a box?
  18. ARCHIVED-LardLord Guest

Gninja wrote:
    That's a shame.
    Will there be Bard or Enchanter-like mercenaries? I didn't see those on the list from Fan Faire.
    Also, will we be able to customize the AI at all like you can do with your companions in Dragon Age?
  19. ARCHIVED-Gninja Guest

IceStormx wrote:
    You have the strong advantage with a box to actually level them up in AAs and spend them as you see fit. On the flip side a merc you don't need to tab back and forth or do whatever you were doing to control that second client. This would also mean less resource intensive on your machine. So I would guess there are pros and cons of both sides.
  20. ARCHIVED-Gninja Guest

Quabi@Antonia Bayle wrote:
    I am hoping to make bard mercs if we can get them to act right... darn stubborn bards. As far as enchanters I am unsure if we can pull those off well in time for expansion release. We will see how it goes.