Merc too powerful?

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Tamzy00, Apr 15, 2018.

1. Tamzy00 New Member

I have a Lvl 95 Berserker and I travel with an Inquisitor merc. I do a pretty good job at keeping my combat arts leveled up and my merc is always in training and currently Rank 7. The entire time I've been playing with this merc, he has been way more powerful than me, which baffles me. I'm a zerker, he's a priest. Yet I drop like a fly with high lvl monsters while he can take the hits. Then I can spend 5 minutes wearing down a beastie that's a couple level highers than me, but he takes them down with one hit! Its great because we get through zones faster, but my zerker's pride suffers as she keeps having to pull baddies back so her priest can kill it. What's up with that? Anyone else have that problem?
  2. Logistic New Member

Your mercs are really just a power leveling tools that resolve the grouping issues since you don't get much groups in lower levels. It really shouldn't be a issue while you are leveling. If you do feel you don't like them, just put them on follow so that they can still heal u but not doing any damage. I think they are basically doing 1/200 of my damage at level 110.
  3. redindus Active Member

Do you have an elite merc? How much is that upkeep?? Elites mercs are very powerful and expensive to maintain.
  4. ConcealFate Well-Known Member

I second what Logistics said. Even the "starter" mercs in the qeynos and freeport pubs will destroy everything for you all the way up to 100.
  5. Himmelweiss New Member

Which is why i don't use them at all.

I can see the reasoning behind the idea. But why was it needed to make em like 10 times stronger than my char?
    Oneshotting almost everything and even killing the elites for you.
    Imo it would have been better to make em equally as strong as players or maybe up to max 2 times better.

But the current implementation of the mercs is way too overpowered and really eliminates the fun/difficulty of just any dungeon, elites etc. you can think of. Basically the entire level 1-95 content. I tried it once and i was like, WTF?!
    Sure, i guess at arround level 100+ they become more and more useless.

I see no point in using the "overpowered" mercs for lower levels unless you enjoy watching how the merc does everything for you with ease.
    So why waste time with this boredom rushing through the content with a merc if you can just create a level 95 Heroic character right on, or even a level 100 character if you buy the expansion.
    To see the content? Oh great, you don't get any feel of how hard things actually are, after rushing it with your merc up to 95 you will still be a super noob because the merc did all the things for you the entire time.
    Again, might as well just roll a 95 char right on...

Now the OP already did that i think and the mercs are still too strong for level 95 toons, sorry but that's just ridiculous and a very bad game design decision imo...

Geeeez... the mercs are beyond what i would call "power leveling tools", they are more like "ridiculous ultra overpowered power leveling tools".
    redindus likes this.
  6. Redlight Well-Known Member

Put healer mercs on passive if you just want heals/cures and if you think they're to powerful don't use one simple as that.
    Finora likes this.
  7. Tamzy00 New Member

Its not that I don't want the help. I love watching him kick some monster butt. I'm just jealous! I thought I was going to create this kick**s zerker and I feel like a wimp when my hired priest can whomp a whole mob in one hit while I'm still picking away at one.
  8. Meneltel Well-Known Member

9. Dragonsnacks Active Member

Mercs are only powerful at lower levels, once you get to 100 they will only be equivalent to a heal potion and the dps will be next to nothing.
  10. Drackore Member

I haven't used these new marketplace unseen hand mercs in PoP yet.. but they seem even stronger than all others under lvl 100.
  11. Godofskyfire New Member

I had one of the best zerkers during TOV he was a monster I could solo almost all the zones except the ones requiring multiple toons..zerkers are monsters!!! Mines name was BLOODVEIN ON Freeport but I came from bazaar a an original bazaar gangsta.
  12. Evilnok Active Member

don't like the merc...don't hire them,that simple and to be honest having a merc that is powerful helps in the long run...esp when you'r not a hardcore raider
  13. Evilnok Active Member

not true,they are powerful at higher levels as well
  14. Godofskyfire New Member

They are not that powerful dual box 1 toon just switching screens and you could be more powerful..use a bot like all boxers and it totally annihilates the merc.
  15. redindus Active Member

Yeah the one I rolled when I stubbed the game, really kill the game itself. Way too strong and too expensive. So I rerolled another character for different roles here. The one I got is Katastra Vilehex, a fallen paladin and too darn powerful. Look cool though, undead looking fallen angel.
  16. chunky New Member

Mercs are pretty much never used in Heroic Planes of Prophecy. They're just too useless. Unless it's like 3AM and a group of 3 overpowered DPSers has a weak healer and someone pops a healer merc to add a few more heals. That's the only thing I can think of. They just don't help like one would fear they could. Not even fully leveled, and decked out. Nowhere even close. But that same merc can melt overland trash mobs, which helps with harvesting. I don't see anything enriching my experience to have to accept fighting trash very single node, that's why I use mercs. Also, they have to inherit the stats expectations appropriate to your level when you gear them with that upgraded gear, so if you're going back and doing something level 95 and you're level 100, probably they have many thousands of potency where that wasn't normal for players to have that much back then. Get your toon progressed better. Don't worry about the mercs. That's a distraction.
    Evguenil62 likes this.
  17. Semperfifofum Well-Known Member

In PoP, my only use for a merc has been while I was running the first quests, once I finish the signature quests and buy a few upgrades and group a little, they become useless. At low levels though, yeah they are very powerful.

I think in PoP solo's I still use them in a few instances like when you have to match the claws because I want it to heal me if I guess wrong. They are good for interference too, but they can slow you down.

In KA, I couldn't do some of the key quests without a merc for nearly the entire expac, especially the "save the goblins from the ghosts" one. Needed all the dps speed I could get until after the epic 2 was complete.

The point of mercs at lower levels is, if you need to get through some dungeons on-level, it will be very hard to get a group for it so your merc enables you to solo it.

Early on, some mercs would "cringe" instead of fight if you aggro too many mobs. This was hell on zerkers and other AoE fighters. Some of the early mercs still do. Possibly Stamper, I think I tried him recently with an alt, and he cringed.
    Argosunited likes this.
  18. Argosunited Well-Known Member

Never underestimate the power of a merc when harvesting! Bonus points if you're a pet class.
    Tbh that's all I use mine for now in PoP, he distracts the mobs whilst I harvest.