Mayong Mistmoore - My gathered lore tidbits

Discussion in 'History and Lore' started by ARCHIVED-AnimeBabe, Oct 8, 2007.

1. ARCHIVED-AnimeBabe Guest

At the beginning of the year I was part of starting a RP/Raiding guild on AB called Arisen. The theme for the guild was to destroy Mayong Mistmoore. So as an officer I spent a pretty chunk of time going through all of the EQLive boards, and lore sites (careful not to take everything literally, since some fansites are wrong or mostly opinion), the EQ Atlas and other accompanying EQLive texts, along with Lore from EQ2 to basically put together this 'timeline' of Mayong's life from EQLive launch to when he was reintroduced in EQ2. Nothign afterwards added on to that... yet. Mwaha.
    Enjoy

Mayong Mistmoore's life started over 10,500 years ago. He is thought to have been an Elddar elf, or even an elf from a time before that Elddar age. Because of this the origins of his vampirism are shrouded in mystery. There have been whisperings throughout the age that he had started to dabble in necromantic magics. Shunned by his peers for trying to find a way to make his life eternal, and not in the Mother's good graces, he sought out the Father of Hate. Making a pact, much like Venril Sathir, he was given eternal life and thusly became the first Vampire. Because of this gift from the Father Mayong started to grow hateful and withdrew back into the Faydark. Obsessed with becoming more powerful in his now "immortal" state he gathered many around him. Teir'Dal were by then starting to become fierce creatures to be reckoned with. He surrounded his castle with them, hoping to fend off visitors or adventurers from entering there as he kept to himself and his studies.
    Being immortal he saw the dragons as one of his only enemies as they were powerful and also immortal. The Ring of Scale... Mayong considers the dragons of Kunark as a threat to his ambitions so he sent dracnids ( seemingly half Teir'dal half spider) to spy on the Ring of Scale. The more sedcluded Claws of Veeshan weren't seen as a threat, but he still sent dracnids to Velious, in addition to Kunark, to keep track of them and also the giants there as well. He lost contact with them long ago and it's believed that they no longer follow his orders at all. Queen Dracnia of the Crystal Caverns is believed to have been an original member of Mayong's spy ring.
    It was not long before he found one who was as obsessed with ambition as him. The Teir'Dal Tserrina Syl`Tor was his student and then his partner. Her Tower of Frozen Shadow in Velious was going to become a new vampiric stronghold. Which was also inline with his polts as he was able to keep a closer watch on the dragons of Velious from there. Tserrina was granted the "gift" of vampirism by Mayong Mistmoore during their engagement. Tserrina was obsessed with pleasing her soon to be husband. She started researching and experimenting with the art of trapping a soul in inanimate objects. She managed to trap the soul of a dragon in a stone. She presented it to Mayong as a present to her betrothed as well as the skeletal dragon that accompanied it. As soon as Mayong had realized what she had done he called her and her beast an abomination and banished her from his sight. After the falling out, Tserrina was driven mad and fled to her tower forcing the Tower to remain in the same perpetual state that it was on her wedding day. Wedding party and all.
    Another unfortunate student of Mistmoore's was Khasra Vei'Ras who was taken by Lanys T'Vyl (who was by then the chosen Child of Hate). Enraged by the kidnapping of his follower he came to the aid of the King and Queen of Neriak to mess up the plan of Lanys to complete the Staff Malevolence; a weapon thought to either be Innoruuk's own weapon or a weapon that would destroy the Prince of Hate. In the middle of a ceremony to complete this artifact Mayong thwarted Lanys' plan and left her for dead after taking the object himself and handing it over to the archpriest of Hate, Dorvias N'Keth. Lanys was then killed in a sacrifice to finish reforming the weapon. Mayong not concerned with the affairs of Neriak or Primordial Malice, left with his student as it was no longer his concern.
    After this it is said Mayong secluded himself inside of his Castle. Some say he was not even there, that he had abandoned all that he created in search of something. That 'something' everyone was lead to believe was some ancient artifact or artifacts that were going to help Mayong on his thousands of years search to ascend to Godhood. Rumors were started of seeing him move into the Underfoot. Others think that he went into the Plane of Hate to find another artifact. Some have even conjectured he was in one of these two places when the Planes themselves closed holding Mistmoore back... until now. (and then the EQLive/EQ2 timeline split happens~)
    Now he reigns once again as the leader of Castle Mistmoore where only the bravest adventurers dare to tread. Some conjecture he may be again trying to find a way to ascend to his godhood, some say he might have already found such. Who knows what would come to pass if he was indeed able to do such. Being so involved with the vile doings of Norrath it is certain the world would never be the same again.
  2. ARCHIVED-Cocytus Guest

Thanks for posting this Kai :)

I saw your post on Haven earlier and was wondering what all you'd gathered.
  3. ARCHIVED-Cusashorn Guest

I've never heard of most of that lore before. Especially the part about the velious drachnid queen. I was wondering if there was even any lore about them at all.
  4. ARCHIVED-AnimeBabe Guest

The drachnids, if I remember correctly, were on Mayong faction when you killed them.
  5. ARCHIVED-Cusashorn Guest

Kailena@Antonia Bayle wrote:
    The ones on Kunark did, but the ones on velious had no rhyme or reason or explanation for being there.
  6. ARCHIVED-AnimeBabe Guest

Hrm... wonder where else they could have come from though or why there were there, if not to keep an eye on the dragons and giants there. There was a rumor ( I don't know if it's fact or fiction) that Mayong made the drachnids as well. Something about Tserrina sending messangers to Mayong and when he sent them back he'd ripped off their legs and hips and replaced them with a spider's making the drachnids.
  7. ARCHIVED-Cusashorn Guest

All I'm saying is there was no in-game lore as to why they were on Velious in the first place. Spying on the dragons for Mayong actually makes sense.
  8. ARCHIVED-troodon Guest

Cusashorn wrote:
    Not that sitting at the bottom of a cavern in the middle of the Eastern Wastes is an efficient way to spy on Dragons...

To the OP, where do you get the numbers you use at the beginning?
  9. ARCHIVED-AnimeBabe Guest

Well 500 years since there's the supposed '500 years in the timegap between EQ1 and EQ2'. And then the 10,000 number I got from... EQAtlas where it states "It is rumored that the builder and inhabitant of the castle is an ancient vampire named Mayong Mistmoore, Lord of Mistmoore, who has lived well over 10,000 years'
    And Cusashorn, yeah when I was going over all the Lore stuff to make sure what I found made sense there was a lot of it that fit. There was a lot of stuff too that was just kind of out there though. A lot of rumors that float around for lore that people take as truth like Mayong killed the Sleeper and stuff. And then there's the whole timeline split. Can't count any of the accent to 'godhood' stuff from Darkhollow. Can only assume that all the items he was looking for eventually got him there in EQLive but for some reason in this alternate demension of EQ he just never got there. Although the raid mob Mayong is quite the *****... lol.
  10. ARCHIVED-Saroc_Luclin Guest

Note: THIS IS PURE SPECULATION (and uses EQLive DoDH Lore, so here's a big grain of NaCl to take it with). We 'know' that Mayong has been working in the Underfoot for centuries, creating Dreadspire and continuing his Drachnid experiments and so forth. Crystal Caverns were also the original home of the Velious Dwarves, who mined Velium from that area before they were chased/had to run and form Thurgadin. What likely happened, among other things, is Mayong sent a set of Drachnids to try and find a route from the Underfoot to Velious for various reasons. That group eventually found a route to the Crystal Caverns, but decided not to go further. (the Dwarves kept them contained, or they decided they had enough of Mayong or something). So that would explain why/how they got to the bottom of the Crystal Caverns.
  11. ARCHIVED-Amana Guest

I'm deffinate curious about the drachnid queen since there was one within a cave system in EQOA. It was out past Fort Blackburrow near a pirate encampment. I never saw the Drachnid queen, but the name could have been the same.
  12. ARCHIVED-Rezikai Guest

I'm deffinate curious about the drachnid queen since there was one within a cave system in EQOA. It was out past Fort Blackburrow near a pirate encampment. I never saw the Drachnid queen, but the name could have been the same.
    I remember the "queen" from EQOA, she was down in the Siloth Mines near Cear Sloth's Castle, it was an area for a few quests (later it was were the EQOA version of Mayong was "re-awoken". But the "Queen" as it was early in the game was not a Drachnid but an actual spider using the giant widow queen graphic http://www.cyclopsx.com/Archives/EQ..._WidowQueen.jpg

I camped her a few times trying to get a wand of silver starlight (crappy 35-40ish wand that was UR and sold well) since originally the zone was only lvl 35-45ish. I never saw a Female drachnid while down there but its posissble the graphic for the "queen" was changed to the female drachnid graphic http://www.cyclopsx.com/Archives/EQ...chnidFemale.jpg
    Later on the Siloth caves were revamped w/ the Lycanthrope/Wegadas arc and Mayong was added to the same room the queen spawned in ( as part of the were-hunter questline i think). I dont know if they replaced the rare spawn version of the queen to the different graphic for the "quested" version that spawned by killing all the minor named for all the different "shards" of glass that came from he large webbed pattern on the ground of the main room above the Mayong/Queen's room. (note: a Vampire Maestro was also down there to for what quest idk).
    something that did catch my eye from the OP was : "Lanys was then killed in a sacrifice to finish reforming the weapon." was this the same woman from the "battle of bloody Kithicor"?.. and if so was this (and kithicor) an in-game EQ1 event?
  13. ARCHIVED-AnimeBabe Guest

Yes, Lanys is to Innoruuk what Firiona Vie is to Tunare.
    If I remember right the 'Staff of Malevolence' was actually a GM item from the event. Only one perserver if I remember right. I'd played EQLive since 99 but I didn't get into it heavily until 2001-2001ish. So it was well after that that the GM event had happened. If you surf around you can find the scripts from it though.
    After Kithicor though Lanys is kind of shunned and she's from then on refered to as the "fallen child of Hate".
    Edit: Hand of Malevolence or Staff of Malevolence... I can never remember which it is... Primodial Malice was her faction though.
  14. ARCHIVED-Cusashorn Guest

The Staff of Malevolence was a staff that would have brought about the entire annihilation of Norrath as a celestial planet (I.E: Luclin). Lanys eventually reconstructed it, but she couldn't do anything with it unless she combined it with the power of the Lifeguide Staff that Firiona Vie possessed. Before she could seek out FV, Neriak's Army fought her own in the Rathe Mountains, killed her, and brought her body back to Neriak. Innoruuk himself then destroyed her soul.
  15. ARCHIVED-foozlesprite Guest

Well at the Battle of Bloody Kithicor, Lanys had to be saved by Innoruuk when she was about to die. To him, this means she failed. So he basically disowned her, making her the fallen child of Hate you mention.
  16. ARCHIVED-Pentarum Guest

Some of that Mayong lore doesnt make sense according to what the lore devs have posted about him. Where did you get that info from? If Mayong was born over 10,000 years ago and the dragons didnt even show up till 5000 years ago and the god created races dint appear till after that then your saying Mayong was alive as a normal elf before the gods even came down for almost 6,000+ years? Inny had nothing to do with Mayongs vampirism. He had to have aquired it long before Inny even knew about Norath otherwise Mayong wouldnt have lived for 6,000 years as a normal elf. That goes against everything I've ever heard about the lifespan of the races and the time when the gods started creating races. Note Its also never been explained why Mayong looks like a Dark elf but he was alive 5000+ years before the dark elven race was even created.
  17. ARCHIVED-Cusashorn Guest

Dragons were around a lot longer than just 5000 years ago.
  18. ARCHIVED-Pentarum Guest

I was just going by what a dev posted. He said Mayong was around before Veeshan put the first of her brood here. As to his exact age I'm not sure. Anyone know when Veeshan first created the dragons?

Vahlar-Dev
    EQ Designer
    Mayong Mistmoore is his own race of vampire. He's older than any of the common player races. In fact, he's said to have seen the first of Veeshan's brood on Norrath. Perhaps something occured in those days that fueled his hatred of dragon kind . . .
  19. ARCHIVED-troodon Guest

That seems like a pretty terrible explanation for Mayong. He's just some being that somehow existed on Norrath long before any of the gods noticed it? He's pissed at Dragons because he was here first?
    If EQ2 sticks with that I will be so disappointed.
  20. ARCHIVED-teddyboy420 Guest

I think there must be some mis-information, or a misunderstanding here. I have been interested in, and following Mayong Mistmoore's history since he first appeared, and disappeared in the very early days of EQLive and I had never heard that he was older then ever other race on Norrath, including the dragons. I too hope that this isn't what the devs are going with, the fact that he so closely resembles an Elf of some flavour is just too coincidental. Not to mention how many stories and bits of history his being here before the dragons would impact, and possibly change.

I don't know.....any confirmation from Vhalen on this version of Mayongs history?