Mastercrafted Legendary, Mastercrafted Fabled

Discussion in 'Tradeskill Discussion' started by ARCHIVED-Jaremai, Aug 23, 2010.

1. ARCHIVED-Domino Guest

Artemiz@The Bazaar wrote:
    There are actually a couple of different degrees of quality within "treasured" and "legendary" etc.... so it's still possible one "treasured" item is better than another, and these flags still won't go down to quite that level of granularity. And there are no actual realtime item comparisons happening, it's part of how the item is set up by the designer, and standards have changed a bit over time (which is why the old rug is still called legendary). There are also some other factors can affect the relative quality of the item, so this isn't going to give you an exact measure of comparative quality, but just a little more information than before. Honestly, I'd ignore it for now - it was just a small UI change by one of the code team, and does not affect anything tradeskill-related at present.

As for the rug, some of the older tradeskilled items from launch era were initially flagged higher quality than they would have been if created these days. That was adjusted in most cases long ago (long before my time) but some items like furniture where it really has no actual effect may never have been changed. Now we are actually seeing the additional tag I'll bet there are several oddball cases out there (like the rug) that may not quite make sense, it's just that they were never visible before. It may be something for me to tidy up at some point but since the actual items haven't changed at all, it's not going to be a high priority at the moment. :D
  2. ARCHIVED-Jaremai Guest

I think having a Legendary rug is pretty humorous. Just imagine the things that might have happened on that rug!
    If tailors could make a little blue dress and it was tagged Fabled...
    Lore is a wonderful thing.
  3. ARCHIVED-Powers Guest

It's odd that craftables had an underlying quality that was superceded by the Handcrafted or Mastercrafted tag. It was always presented to players that HC and MC were part of the quality progression:
    no label -> Uncommon -> HC -> Treasured -> MC -> Legendary -> Fabled -> Mythical
    Now we find out that's not true?

Powers &8^]
  4. ARCHIVED-Pervis Guest

Powers wrote:
    This was player observation, not developer information.
    It was taken as fast because, with very few exceptions, it was observed to be fact. General mastercrafted (as in, items from advanced recipe books) fits in between the average treasured item and the average legendary item, just as items from common books fit in between uncommon and treasured.
    What seems to be more to the point is that mandcrafted is actually top end uncommon quality, but given the handcrafted label. Mastercrafted is top end treasured, but given the mastercrafted label. This change gives them both, which is a good thing.
    As of now, you can look at the words mastercrafted and handcrafted as signifying little more than the item is player made. Item quality goes no label > uncommon > treasured > legendary > fabled > mythical. It will leave teh game with fewer items that cross over their tag quality, which means that tag is now a better suggestion of an items overall quality than it was, to a player that does not know the fine details of this games combat mechanics (those that do know those details don't look at tags, tags are there for those that do not know them).
    I want to know if this change has an effect on transmuting or sacrificing.
  5. ARCHIVED-Valdaglerion Guest

DominoDev wrote:
    Ok, this makes a bit more sense. Thanks for the additional information~
  6. ARCHIVED-Calthine Guest

Pervis wrote:
    Actually the original was posted by the CM at the time, but was on the Olde Forums and I can't look up whether it was one of the 'Gards or Grimwell.
  7. ARCHIVED-Meirril Guest

Rijacki wrote:
    If you paid attention to the stats found on treasured gear vs MC gear and then legendary you'd know that MC is superior in all respects to treasured gear of the same level and even comprable to legendary gear a few levels higher. The fact you can even say the above with a straight face brings to question your objectivity.
  8. ARCHIVED-Powers Guest

Calthine wrote:
    Oh good, I was starting to think I'd imagined it.
    Domino, when did this change?

Powers &8^]
  9. ARCHIVED-Lutefisk Guest

Calthine wrote:
    Agree with Calthine, this is my recollection as well. There was a lot of "sturm und drang" at the time when the devs were beating into us that HC and MC were item quality levels, and in that progression noted. A LOT of crafters and non-raiders were unhappy that Legendary and Fabled items were so much more powerful than MC.
    Further, if HC and MC were merely supposed to indicate "player-made", there's no reason to have both HC and MC designations, a simple "crafted" tag would do.
    For me at least, Domino's explanation is supremely confusing.
  10. ARCHIVED-celestina936 Guest

I remember all that... there was even stuff posted when the spell progression changed, and introduction of expert (as a new name) taking place of adept 3s, too..... or was that adept 4s LOL.... things get muddy after time passes.
  11. ARCHIVED-Meirril Guest

Alvane@Unrest wrote:
    Don't mention adept 4s....still bitter about that.
  12. ARCHIVED-BetaTester Guest

DominoDev wrote:
    Just left EqX over this ... the rest of the trades can use and sell their "master crafted" to bronze players .
    Its bad enough that tradeskillers have to compete with SOE for sales when we get play money and SOE gets real cash ,
    but when I realized my Sage couldn't scribe his first crafted adept III , I camped and dumped EqX .

I know its just an itemization classification , but its nice to hear SOE finally admit we spend weeks leveling crafters and hours on end hunting for rares only to craft 'treasured quality' goods .
  13. ARCHIVED-Jaremai Guest

BetaTester wrote:
    You should have realized it before you even rolled a sage if you were playing for free. If you looked at the matrix, Bronze/Silver can't use anything higher than Adept. Your Adept III (now called Expert, btw) is only for Gold/Platinum people.
    Welcome back to Live. You can use your Experts here. =p
  14. ARCHIVED-Domino Guest

Pervis wrote:
    This is a good summary. There has been no change to the actual way these flags worked since they were implemented, as far as I'm aware. It was just a different way of displaying them to indicate they were player-made.
    Nothing has actually changed about the items, the mechanics, or the quality levels, so transmuting and sacrificing of items are in no way affected by both labels now showing. Whatever could be done before, can still be done; whatever could not, still cannot.
  15. ARCHIVED-Valdaglerion Guest

Jaremai@Guk wrote:
    Yep, I personally think SOE gimped the lower tiers subscription to a point where playing on those servers as a way of introducing people to the game is a bad thing and expecting veteran players to deal with all the variations of restrictions is even worse. They have tweaked the subscriptions several times already.
    I think the new broker credits are funny. Buy a broker credit to sell an item, but DOH! you just sold a shiny for 10p but umm, you are level 50 and can only have 2.5p so the other 7.5 goes poof! Funnier to spend money to buy a credit to purchase a master and then realize you cant scribe it..lol
  16. ARCHIVED-Meirril Guest

DominoDev wrote:
    I'm afraid this answer isn't very clear. Could you provide an example of a mastercrafted fabled item, tell us what it was labled before the change, and tell us what the results of a transmute would possibly be?
  17. ARCHIVED-Lord_Ebon Guest

The crafted equipment from the emerald halls recpies used to be be listed as fabled and I imagine it shows as "Mastercrafted Fabled" now. It'll still transmute as fabled.
  18. ARCHIVED-Calthine Guest

Barx@Antonia Bayle wrote:
    The Folded Scale Blade isn't - I just checked in game.
  19. ARCHIVED-Lord_Ebon Guest

Calthine wrote:
    What is it listed as? I could have sworn they used to be Fabled before (and thus would make sense to show up as " MC Fabled" now).