Mass Mail

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Haterkham, Jul 13, 2017.

1. Kittybock Well-Known Member

Good point. It also, however, created this thread which apparently will never die ;)
  2. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

You can copy (by hand, each one, through re-typing) mail into a blank book/card and "keep" it that way, but I know that isn't the same. My condolences. :(

Unfortunately, it might have to happen at some point, since the mailboxes don't stay stable for years, and you might very well generate a "Mailbox is full! :eek:" from the Powers even if you only have a page or three of mails left. It does seem to happen more often, that instability, with my toons that get a lot of mail in general, i.e. the ones I play most often. :-/

Uwk
    Prissetta likes this.
  3. Rosyposy Well-Known Member

You might want to save a screenshot of that mail... I've had older mail "fall off" and disappear.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Shmogre like this.
  4. Rynda Active Member

Absolutely appalling.

I will gladly pay my subscription as I have done for more than a decade. But I do not want to receive spam, neither in my RL mailbox, nor in my ingame mailbox.

I will happily pay more for my subscription if needed, but I do not want to log in and receive a fake "gift" for which I have to pay 3 months' subscription for a few pots and a bag.

I am enjoying TLE and the slow pace, the chance to reexplore the game without the rush, so why on earth would I want to pay extra to do it faster which defeats the entire purpose of TLE?

How do I avoid spam in my ingame mailbox? I play to relax and have fun, not to be annoyed by a "gimme more money" emails!
  5. Raff Well-Known Member

When you boil it down to its' essence...people are mad cause they have to click that mouse 3 times per alt?

Holy poop...Really?
    Mathafern likes this.
  6. Raenius Well-Known Member

It is NOT about the additional clicks someone has to apply in order to get rid of that spam.

It is pretty much the first time that this is done within this game, if you won`t say "No!" immediately it might become a standard (and way more annoying) procedure.

Not that hard to get, really.
  7. Rynda Active Member

It is about unsolicited commercial e-mail (UCE). Unless you yourself have agreed to receiving them and/or unless there is an opt-out option, in a number of countries it is not legal to distribute UCEs.
  8. Mathafern Well-Known Member

/pizza was worse.

It didn't pan out. :D
  9. Raff Well-Known Member

3 simple clicks of a mouse....problem solved.
  10. Ummmyeh Active Member

You are quite the pundit! ;)
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  11. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Two hundred fifty-two clicks of a mouse. >:-/

Uwk
    Alenna and Prissetta like this.
  12. Kokorobosoi Active Member

oooo thank you! sorry for the late reply, but tyvm!! totally forgot about that
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  13. ConcealFate Well-Known Member

This is EXACTLY what I thought
  14. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Drat, where's the Facebook "sad" response button... :-/

Uwk
    who doesn't really "Like" the idea, but... :-/
    ConcealFate and Prissetta like this.
  15. Alarra Well-Known Member

I have no issue with this. I have 20 alts, it is no biggie to click and delete.
    Trying to get money from your existing customer base has always been a thing.
    Would prefer it though if I open it on one character it removes it from the rest of the characters on the account. But there are limitation on their system.
    Just, limit it to at most once a month, cos I don't think I could stand it for more hehe.
    Dude and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  16. The_Real_Wurm Well-Known Member

If the run speed buff actually worked like advertised I might even have bought one. 15% is huge!
  17. Gillymann Abusive Relationships Aren't Healthy. J S.

I hadn't logged in for some time, so I did so just to see what all the hub-bub was about for myself.

I found the spam itself mildly annoying, not a huge deal. I felt the approach used was dishonest. Yes, it says in the mail text that you have to buy something, but there is actually no gift in the attachment.

I thought the offer itself was garbage. $30 for some mostly useless virtual items.

Perhaps they desperate, or perhaps they just think we"re stupid. Idk, only they do i guess.

In any case, it just reaffirmed to me that this game is longer for me. In fact, after this experience, I gave away my plat, and it didn't bother me in the all.
    Juraiya and Prissetta like this.
  18. Haterkham Member

for those of you who seemed to miss the point of the original post, it wasn't the fact at all that they used the mail system to advertise. That's all fine and good. The problem is that many people store in game mails. Many of those people do not care to further read about the advertisement, but in order to delete the mail they must claim the item that FORCES them to get re directed to a website. Not everyone who doesn't want to be redirected to the website is also willing to /clear_mailbox. The advertising wasn't the problem, it was the forcing us to be redirected to a website from the in game browser which some people don't want to do while it completely crashes others.
  19. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Exactly, yeah. :-/

Goodness knows they've advertised at us before in the mail, but rarely ever (ever at all?) with an "attachment." :-/

Uwk
    who notices that they're also offering it in the "Welcome to EQ2!!1!1!!!11! :D" screen, so the mail attachment was a last straw, imho...
    Prissetta likes this.
  20. Sinhika Well-Known Member

1. Re-direct to web-browser from in-game, which crashes some people, other people just get their graphics mode forcibly changed--neither is acceptable. (Of course, if this game were written to actually display properly in a window, without truncating the bottom of the screen, or if its fullscreen mode was actually a borderless fullscreen-sized window like World of Warcraft's is... but hey, I understand. Windowed-mode is really complex and hard to do in that newfangled DirectX API).
    2. Flat-out lying e-mail: "Click to receive GIFT". Where's my bloody gift?
    3. Wash, rinse, repeat on Every Single Alt.
    Juraiya, Sambril, Alenna and 2 others like this.