Marketplace Update: Equipment Unlocker Pack

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Ahma, May 3, 2013.

1. Ahma Member

Greetings Norrathians,

We want to give you a heads-up on a Marketplace change coming next week. With the Scars of the Awakened update, we added a new way to unlock equipped gear on your character. Now if you have several items want to unlock, you can click one and have the option to unlock them all instantly--and for a discount! Since this new “unlock all” functionality is available we will be removing the Equipment Unlocker Pack from the Marketplace the morning of Wednesday, May 8th. If you're thinking about acquiring an Equipment Unlocker Pack, get it now while you can!

Thank you,
    Vailene likes this.
  2. Tkia Well-Known Member

Why are you taking the packs off the market? What if you only want to unlock one item and not everything at once? So, in fact, you're not adding a new way at all you're actually just replacing the old way of doing things?
    Taivr and Finora like this.
  3. Killobyte Member

What is this new way? Can you purchase this on marketplace?
  4. shaenmo New Member

I think this will work out. Just like the research thing is now 20 SC per day, which I think is a little more convenient.
  5. Jrral Active Member

I suspect it's the new point-of-need buying feature. Like with rezzes and repairs, when you go to equip an item that needs an unlock you'd get the ability to buy the unlock (single-item or all-items) for SC directly from a dialog. With that there's no need to go through the Marketplace to access the unlocker.
  6. Buggabug Active Member

Please tell me this isn't going to be yet another of those stupid little clicky icons that interferes with my UI. honestly the repair and research upgrade thingys are bad enough.
    Izanami, Wirewhisker and Lempo like this.
  7. Kuulei Well-Known Member

of course it is, you get an option to select 1 item or everything that's needing an unlocker :eek:
    better stock up on a few packs!
  8. Finora Well-Known Member

Once these are gone you can no longer buy them when they are on sale (of course), and are forced to pay the higher price(though it is only a tiny amount) to unlock by piece via the UI clicky. 30 SC per unlock with the unlocker pack even if you don't buy it on sale, 35 SC per piece if you do it through the UI. I've not had more than one item that I couldn't equip yet so I couldn't say what the multiple unlock discount might be, but over all, this really stinks.
    Izanami and Lempo like this.
  9. Lempo Well-Known Member

I agree Finora.
    This is the second item that has recently been 'enhanced' for the purpose of 'point of use' SC purchases.
    This is also the second item that costs more.
    One doesn't have to think very hard about it. How often are you going to unlock multiple items? Maybe if you decide to end your sub and go FTP, but for the most part you will be unlocking one or 2 items at a time, unless you are willing to let all those shiny new pieces sit in a bag until you have enough to get a discount.

Congrats SOE you truly give the phrase "Nickel and dime" credibility here. Bravo.
    Izanami and Wirewhisker like this.
  10. Lucus Well-Known Member

except if you want some kind of advance on research that you don't want to fully complete or you have X days, X hours left you are spending a full day's worth (20SC) for those hours, minutes left.

It's not about convenience it's about profits for SoE.
  11. Kaito Member

GET IT WHILE YOU CAN o_O:confused: (The Purpose=???), Unless the OLD Unlocker Key can unlock ALL Equipments Per Key Unit :D:p
  12. Gdawg311 New Member

the OP clearly states, if you have a piece of gear you wish to unlock, you can click ONE but have the OPTION to unlock EVERYTHIGN for a discount... don't seem to see the problem..... clearly states you can unlock one item right in the post. why would you have to wait for a full set of items?
  13. Jrral Active Member

Because with the current setup you can buy a pack of multiple unlockers at a discount any time, and use them one item at a time as needed. With the new system, if you only have a few items to unlock you either have to forego the discount and buy individual unlockers or "waste" part of the all-items unlocker by unlocking fewer items than it could. I'll have to see how the all-items unlock is priced, though. If it's a fixed cost no matter how many items are actually unlocked, it could be a bad deal unless you've got a lot of items to unlock. If it's priced based on a discounted amount per item times the number of items actually being unlocked, the "waste" problem goes away.
    Taysa and Izanami like this.
  14. Nocturnus Member

The per-need unlockers are cheaper per item than the unlockers sold in the store. The mass unlockers, on top of that, are discounted.

This means more money saved.

People need to stop reading between the lines here.
  15. Lempo Well-Known Member

There was nothing clear about the costs involved here in the OP at all.

This is not going to save more money.
    The unlockers sold in the store do 5 items for 1.50 @ .30 each.
    The point of use is .35 per item.

How often do you think people have a full set set, or a large number of items to unlock at once? Not near as often as you will be getting a new piece to unlock in the very near future, that one doesn't even require thought.
    We don't even know the 'discount' or how many items a required to be unlocked at once because SOE was not forthcoming in the post announcing this.

Also is the point of use unlock going to be included or excluded from marketplace sales/rebates?

There has been nothing good said about this by anyone, except for off the cuff posts made by Gdawg (no surprise there) and yourself.

No one is reading between the lines at all, you are just (apparently) unable to see the extended cost outlook.

This is roughly a 15% increase in the costs of unlocking items in all but the rarest of circumstances, and this is assuming that the unlockers were not bought on a sale or rebate day, in which is is drastically more.
  16. Nocturnus Member

Back when my account dropped to free status, the on-demand unlockers were $0.25 a piece, which added to $5.25 for a full set of gear, and cheaper than the unlockers in the store.

The price has since been raised from when my account was last free. I just double checked it (had to create a mule account to do it).

In this sense, yes, I will join the voice saying that... why the heck would you raise the price on something just so you could discount it another way? That makes no sense to me.
  17. Morg Well-Known Member

It's called nickel and diming your customers. Said customers will usually stop buying from the stores that do this and they eventually either A) go out of business - bad for us or B) get smart and leave their pricing at a lower price.
    I have NEVER waited to unlock a SET of items, it's always been individually. So, I would NOT want to buy a SET of item unlockers, I didn't even want to buy the set of 5 I was required to buy before the new single item button went on the UI.

I bought like 5 packs of the unlockers long ago at the cheaper price. Been saving them up just in case, I guess this is that Just in case time eh?
  18. Finora Well-Known Member

Incorrect. Per need unlocks cost more than the packs on the store per unlock. 35SC vs 30SC (even less if you purchase your unlockers with double/triple SC or when they were on sale either via rebate or other sale).Some of my purchased unlockers basically cost me about 5SC each (triple SC + rebate sale). That right there is probably the main reason they are moving towards this. It wouldn't bother me though except the base price is higher in the UI.

As I said before, mass unlocking I've still not seen so can't comment on the pricing there.
    Deveryn and Alenna like this.
  19. Nocturnus Member

I corrected myself in a later post. The new "discounted" price is what the on-demand unlockers USED to cost. They upped the price per item so now the discounted price is 25 SC.
  20. Deveryn Well-Known Member

I love how every time people complain about the pricing and the "nickel and diming", they conveniently forget the double and triple cash sales. I also love how these particular items ended up costing a nickel after working the market :p

I'm looking forward to seeing what this big discount is and how many items it actually applies to.