Manikin Dummies

Discussion in 'Tradeskill Discussion' started by ARCHIVED-Nimbrithil, Dec 12, 2007.

1. ARCHIVED-Rothgar Guest

Ok, lets try again.

The items don't need to remain in your inventory.

You drag an item to the mannequin and it "remembers" that item. We don't care if you then destroy the item, sell it, stick in your house vault or whatever you want to do with it. The mannequin will always remember that item until you replace it with another item of the same slot.

That's exactly what we've done. Except you can also drag an item directly onto the Mannequin without opening the UI window.
  2. ARCHIVED-Seagoat Guest

I have to agree...I was looking forward to the mannequins because I really would love to free up some of my inventory, bank, and house vault space. Since the advent of the appearance slots, I've been accumulating cool-looking armor hand over fist, and needless to say, my backpacks and strongboxes runneth over!
    I'd imagine people want to show off the cool armor that they wear by...um...wearing it. IMO the mannequins should be for storing (not just displaying) armor sets that aren't currently being worn. ...But that's just me.
    Edited to add: I should probably clarify that ideally -- at least for me -- the armor "stored" by the mannequins could be retrievable so it can be worn again; i.e., drop it on the mannequin and free up bag space...when the mood strikes you, remove the armor from the mannequin so you can wear it...when you get tired of wearing it, rinse and repeat.
  3. ARCHIVED-Martrae Guest

Seagoat wrote:
    SWG has that system. You just drop the armor in your house and it stands like you're in it.
  4. ARCHIVED-Rashaak Guest

Rothgar wrote:
    AH...vary nice...
  5. ARCHIVED-Rashaak Guest

Breanut@Butcherblock wrote:
    Manikin's should only be for displaying...not storeing your overstock of items. You don't see manikin's in a clothing store wearing 4 different outfits do you? There's no hollowed out part of the manikin used for storing...
    Thats what your bank vaults are for...
  6. ARCHIVED-Rothgar Guest

Seagoat wrote:
    The purpose of mannequins are not to provide additional storage space but to allow you to display armor you have collected. We weighed the pros and cons of storing the armor vs just 'registering' the armor with the mannequin and storing the item had several disadvantages over the other way.

Crafters that wanted to show the items they could make would be required to make an extra set just for the mannequins. For items that required rares, this could be costly for many people. As far as adventuring goes, people carry armor with them as backups or to use for resist gear. So requiring them to leave it behind in their house is not practical. And you can't really say that just because I'm wearing it on my person that I'd have no desire to display it in my house for visitors. After all, I can't be online all the time standing in my house for people to see my coolest set of armor. :)

You could drag an entire set of armor to a dummy and that dummy will remember the appearance forever. This would allow you to get rid of that armor or sell it, freeing up your storage space. As long as you didn't drag new armor to that dummy, your set of armor will be immortalized on the mannequin.
  7. ARCHIVED-NiamiDenMother Guest

Thanks for all the updates, Rothgar! I tried to include all of the pertinent information in the GU42 Crafting Preview I just put up (complete with pictures from Test of the mannequins with and without gear). If I missed anything important, or mis-represented it, please let me know.

~Mum
  8. ARCHIVED-Eriol Guest

Rothgar wrote:
    Can people on test please confirm that "forever" includes moving the dummy around, PICKING UP the dummy and putting it back down, and even moving it through your moving crate (just straight-out purchasing a new place, auto pack-up into the crate, etc) all preserve EXACTLY what was on it? Otherwise I'm sure people will lose a lot of unique looks while moving because they will have sold/sacrificed/zapped armour/clothing that's on display.

Edit: this also includes SELLING a uniquely-decorated dummy to someone else (as Niami's preview says they're not lore/nodrop). There could be a serious market for that kind of thing.
  9. ARCHIVED-Rashaak Guest

Eriol wrote:
    How I understand it is...
    The armor you drag on to the mannequin is nothing more than an illusion and will display that armor/item only as an illusion in itself. The armor/item will not technically be ON the mannequin. Which is why the items can stay in your inventory, or even be sold/destroyed down the road. So...yes...selling unique Mannequin's with different armor styles is possible since the items won't actually be ON the mannequin...
  10. ARCHIVED-NiamiDenMother Guest

Fast tests of my own, with an assist from Briana of Test show:

1) one player removing the dressed mannequin and placing it in shared bank, then another player taking the mannequin from shared bank and placing it in the home ... mannequin stays dressed

2) placing dressed mannequin in a broker container and then removing it ... mannequin stays dressed.

3) preview of the mannequin, as well as the view of the mannequin you get when in the process of placing it, do NOT show the dressed mannequin ... therefore there would be no way for a customer to know if they were buying a dressed or undressed one until they place it.

I'll let other folks play with it more, but it looks promising, Eriol.
  11. ARCHIVED-Seagoat Guest

Rothgar wrote:
    All valid points. I don't mean to sound like an ingrate or anything...I think the mannequins are the best thing since sliced bread and I can't WAIT to get my hands on some!! My previous post was just me dreaming out loud, hehe. In an ideal Norrath, I could hoard armor till the moon explodes (no, the other moon) and not have it take up valuable bag/box real estate...but maybe the mannequins -not- storing armor is a blessing in disguise: a big fat hint that I need to suck it up and decide what stays and what goes.
    Thanks to you, Domino, and everyone on the EQ2 dev team who continue to make this game the amazing thing that it is.
  12. ARCHIVED-Zabjade Guest

30,000 Faction points is going to be a LOOOOONG way for me. >_< I think I'm nearly out of the Neutral Negatives...(Back when each faction gave you bad faction with the other Qeynos factions) I may not have been the best raider but I would really burn through writs. I'm a Monk had to make myself useful somehow ;)
  13. ARCHIVED-Xanzibar Guest

Is there a way to "lock" the mannequin, to help prevent accidentally "overwriting" the appearance?
  14. ARCHIVED-NiamiDenMother Guest

Confirmed on Test - the mannequins will "remember" their outfit even when sold via the broker.

There is NOT any way to lock the display (and personally, I don't want to hit a redecorating mood and have to toss out/pawn off on someone else a look that I've grown tired of, and get a new mannequin made). If you're worried about someone goofing with your mannequin(s), you'll just have to be careful who you have on trustee access. :)
  15. ARCHIVED-Anestacia Guest

Great write up; thank you for all the information. I was wondering though, I heard mention of a display podium that displayed items opposed to armor. I was curious if that was just a rumor or if there were any plans for that to be added in GU 42 as well.
  16. ARCHIVED-Calthine Guest

Anestacia wrote:
    If I'm not mistaken, that's also in the Test notes.
  17. ARCHIVED-ZeroRavesOn Guest

Rashaak wrote:
    Justas for my own thoughts, Mannequins in a department store do wear 1 full set of clothes, and the clothing on it cannot be sold till it is removed from the mannequin. I, as well as other people it seems, had assumed that the mannequin would have a window when setting clothes that looks like the appearance tab, throwing different clothes onto it by putting them into the proper slots.

Maybe this could be done in the future on a new kind of mannequin as a functional feature, instead of just a piece of furniture.
  18. ARCHIVED-Eriol Guest

NiamiDenMother wrote:
    That's just about all the cases that I thought of. Maybe somebody with too much money/status on an alt can try it with buying a new house, though that IS something that their QA should handle. Still, thanks for contacting people on test to try this out.

Sorry for sounding so weird about all the cases, just I've been "drafted" into the QA department temporarily at the company I work at, so thinking of all these "non-standard" cases is what I've been doing lately for our product. The NASTIEST little bugs pop up in the process like you wouldn't believe when dealing with the "apparent" creation/deletion of objects. I'm not sure how their object model works (both in the OO-sense of the word "object" as well as the in-game sense) so I have no idea. Thinking of pure black-box test cases here, which is a LOT harder than when you can take a peek at the code to try and break it!
  19. ARCHIVED-NiamiDenMother Guest

Eriol wrote:
    {giggle} This sort of stuff can be fun to test out.

It was rather amusing to watch me bop around Test late this afternoon to poke at it. Hop to an alt, place her in Niami's house next to the sales crate. Hop to Niami, run to yet another alt's house where the screenshots were done last night, grab the mannequin, run to the broker board. Whimper in /test "I'm putting up a mannequin on the broker. Pleasepleaseplease don't touch it in the 2 minutes or so it will take me to alt-hop. We're testing something with them and the broker." alt-hop back, hit the crate, grab the mannequin and plant it on the floor. I think I was making them dizzy!

(Mind you, I'd had someone offer to help test the buying and placing bit, but I decided to do it myself while she was eating dinner.)
  20. ARCHIVED-Warpax Guest

Rothgar wrote:
    I hope there is some mechanic involved that forbids visitors to my house/store from dragging armor to my mannequins and changing this "stored" visual. Especially on displays of rare armor/whatnot that I decide to sell or destroy to free up storage space. Maybe make them soulbound and only usable by that person. *shrug*