Make "IGNORE" function Account Wide

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by KrayzeeYou, Jan 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ucala Well-Known Member

usually issues like that only happen if you are ignoring the person that is trying to invite, you can get around it by just passing leader to someone else and they invite :p
    aspekx and Cloudrat like this.
  2. Errrorr An Actual EQ2 Player

Same occurs if you are doing a new zone and the person explaining strats is the one you have ignored etc etc. Its just generally a bad idea, and something that devotes Developer time away from better causes.
    Balbasur and Mae- like this.
  3. Mae- Well-Known Member

I agree, it's unnecessary. Unless you have an exceptionally low tolerance for people different than you, how often are you honestly ignoring someone? How often do you ignore the same person across multiple toons? It can't possibly be worth the dev time to make this happen. And I honestly think it takes alot more work than some people claim it would.
  4. R.J. MacReady Active Member

People different from you are asking for a chance that you don't agree with. It seems to be an odd time for you to preach about the tolerance of others.
  5. Mae- Well-Known Member

Just because I don't agree with them doesn't mean I don't tolerate them. Where have I even said I don't tolerate others?
  6. Araxes Active Member

This is requested periodically but has never been implemented. I lend my virtual signature to this request, though. I rarely use /ignore but I do wish that when I ignored a player it would be account-wide. Chances are if someone is an idiot on one character they are an idiot on another character, too.
    Sigrdrifa likes this.
  7. Rotherian Well-Known Member

However, R.J., there are already ingame tools to deal with people that are actively trolling. There is /report. There is /ignore. What is being asked for is a development effort to fix a problem that can already be fixed at the player level - albeit without lending itself to abuse or allowing the player to be lazy and consign entire rosters of characters to an ignore list because of temporary situations* (in some cases). What having to /ignore characters individually forces a player to do is think about (even if it is just for a split second) whether it is worth the keystroke or click combination required to put the person on ignore - each time.

And here is the thing: if someone is really being annoying (i.e. harassing you), you can still use /report. If, after analyzing the chat logs, those that respond to the /report determine that there was cause for you to send the /report, that player could get either a temporary or permanent ban. That ban doesn't just affect a single character, unless I'm grossly mistaken (I've never been banned from the game, but logically speaking, it wouldn't solve anything to just ban a character), so that gives a person being harassed relief from characters on the harassing account.

If Mae- was saying that you shouldn't use /ignore or /report, I could understand your point, because those are tools that already exist that someone would then be requesting that you not use. That isn't what is happening. There is a big difference between saying that someone should give others the benefit of the doubt that they might not consistently be chuckleheads and saying that the dev team should work on this just to save a few people some mouse clicks or some typing. Those two statements aren't even close to the same, yet that is what you are suggesting that you believe**. :eek: o_O

* Those temporary situations can be on either end. It can be on the part of the one doing the offending - perhaps they had a crummy day IRL (they had a bad day at school, their SO up and left, they lost their job, etc.) and their social interactions are suffering as a result - or it can be on the part of the one getting offended (they have a momentary chemical and/or hormonal imbalance from undisclosed sources, they have impaired social interactions causing hypersensitivity to otherwise innocuous comments, etc.). The point is that an account-wide ignore function is like using Mjolnir to hammer in a roofing nail - while, admittedly, it will do the job, there are other tools that would provide considerably less overkill***. o_O
    ** Since that suggests either reduced perception or deliberate deception on your part, and I would prefer to believe neither about you, the difference between what my observations lead me to believe and that which I would prefer to believe is causing quite a bit of cognitive dissonance. :oops:
    *** Consequently also leaving you with a roof still intact. :p
  8. Ucala Well-Known Member

personally I never have anyone on ignore. people on my server (Guk) usually say they have this one guy, Highwire on ignore since he "sings" songs in general chat. I don't see what the big issue with it is though. I guess some people have a low tolerance
    Mae- likes this.
  9. Balbasur Active Member

Answer is no.
  10. Rotherian Well-Known Member

I dunno. For me, it would probably depend on the song*. But for the most part, it takes a lot to make it on my ignore list**.

* For example, if the song begins with the words, "Ooh...We're no strangers to love..." then that person is going on ignore in a heartbeat. :eek: :D
    ** However, repeated displays of continued ignorance pertaining to a given subject, despite being told specifically about that subject, is one foolproof method to making it upon my ignore list (not that being on my ignore list matters to most people, but whatevs :p ).
  11. Torvaldr Well-Known Member

I love this feature in Cryptic games. I ignore or report someone it puts their account on my ignore list. Not only that it puts their account on my ignore list for every Cryptic game so if someone is a jerk in Neverwinter I don't have to listen to them in STO or CO either. It's great for shutting up goldspammers. I ignore that account once and and I don't have to hear spam from their alts.

I am hoping that this sort of thing eventually comes to SoE games, not just EQ2. It would be great to eventually see cross game chat channels and account wide friend/ignore. You could always logon as "invisible" if you don't want your friends to see you online. Rift, Guild Wars, and Guild Wars 2 have that feature. It's nice.
    Athenia, Xillean, aspekx and 2 others like this.
  12. Xray Active Member

Same thing with Friend list, make them larger and account wide plz.
    Xillean, aspekx and Cloudrat like this.
  13. aspekx Well-Known Member

another benefit that i have found in other games with this feature is that folks that have actually invested a bit in the game tend to their reputation a bit more when they know that their actions affect their entire account, rather than just one character.
    Sigrdrifa likes this.
  14. Mae- Well-Known Member

Wow, that's really excessive. The reason some people have stated in this very thread for ignoring people would lead to a very quiet game if you account-ignored across multiple games. Talk about harsh treatment.
  15. Vladislav Active Member

You mean very pleasant, right? Because I would rather have a quiet chat than one full of trolls and spammers. We are not talking about blocking an actual valuable members of MMO community here. If you do not want to use ignore feature - then do not, it is your choice. I most certainly would rather not have my chat window rendered useless because someone decided to copy/paste song lyrics into it.
    Sigrdrifa likes this.
  16. Wingrider01 Well-Known Member

So stay out of 1-9 - got ride of 99 percent of the widgets by doing that
  17. Vladislav Active Member

I think you are missing the point. If someone trolls on one toon it most certainly means I WANT to ignore him on all of them. When I put someone on ignore list, I realize the consequences of that action, and i willing to miss out on PuGs, LFGs, WTBs and SLRs by that person. I want to cut that HUMAN from my online experience completely. If someone is misogynistic racist, I want to be able to boycott his existence across all his alts. It is not always just about keeping my channel clean, sometimes it is about me wanting not to associate with an individual. Since we have no ability to see everyone's alts, the account-wide /ignore would be pretty awesome for this.
    Sigrdrifa and Cloudrat like this.
  18. Vladislav Active Member

With account-wide ignore people would not need to stay out of any channels. Also there are plenty of legitimate questions by new and returning players in the 1-9 channel as well as some actually interesting discussions.
    Sigrdrifa likes this.
  19. Mae- Well-Known Member

This might come as a shock to you, but people that you might consider "trolls and spammers" answer those questions too. Ask anyone on Unrest, I am one of the most active participants in level chat, and since I am a bit "rough around the edges" sometimes, there are a handful of people who put me on ignore because they're soft-skinned and took offense to something I said. Their loss, IMO, but being quick to judge people based on one incident in chat could leave you with a very quiet existence where you ask the same question repeatedly because you can't see the answers because someone you deemed a "troll" is actually quite helpful.
    Errrorr likes this.
  20. Avithax Well-Known Member

Add a feature: /reporttroll <Charachter Name>

Any account with +250 reports in any 7 day period is suspended from global chat channels for a week.
    Any account reporting excessively faces suspension.

Yes, there will be players who are singled out on day 1 but it would send a message.
    Sigrdrifa likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.