Make "IGNORE" function Account Wide

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by KrayzeeYou, Jan 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cloudrat Well-Known Member

You are on a strange tangent. I am not asking to ignore people for you. I want > Me to be able to ignore the person I find obnoxious without a lot of rigamarole.
    Sigrdrifa, aspekx and Ranga like this.
  2. Avahlynn Well-Known Member

I'm all for this.

Also I guess I find it creepy that anyone can friend me and there's nothing I can do about it. :/
  3. Faelynn Active Member

LMAO @ being "too much work". They just don't WANT to do it, so as to protect the privacy of the alts they create.

The technical part is really cake though. All our accounts have an account ID -- that could be the familiar "userid" or it could be number -- whatever. The technical side of this is easy: they create a table in their database consisting of two fields: the accountID of YOUR account, and the accountID of the person to ignore. When we ignore someone, that record goes into the table. They don't want to display the accountID in question, that's not a problem. When we display our ignore list, that would be a View (query) that shows, for all ignored accountIDs for your account's list, all character names belonging to those accounts. Conversely, if you REMOVE any of those toons from your list, then it removes ALL of that account's toons from the list.

Not saying whether this is a GOOD idea. I just wanted to put out that no, this isn't even slightly difficult to do if they wanted to.
    aspekx and Cloudrat like this.
  4. Alarra Well-Known Member

I am against this as my sister was stalked on this game once by a very tenacious stalker.

How could they do it even if you only added 1 name to your list....
    Have 2 instances of EQ2 open (2 separate accounts) add only 1 name to your ignore list.
    Let it run for the duration of when the person usually plays. Take the logs and run a file comparison command across them.
    Very simple and that nasty person can make multiple F2P accounts and send tells to you and your alts saying creepy and nasty things. Tracking by IP? Try an ISP with dynamic IP address allocation, All they have to do is reset their router and they are ready to go again.
  5. Faelynn Active Member

BTW, for the less technically-savvy - might also point out that my above explanation not only covers ignoring someone else's entire account, but ALSO makes the ignore list account-wide on YOUR side.
  6. Faelynn Active Member

... and that's exactly why they aren't making the friend OR ignore lists account-wide on the other person's end (e.g. you add one of their chars to YOUR list and now ALL their chars are covered on your list). Privacy. Has nothing to do with difficulty.

Still would like to see friend/ignore lists be account-wide on YOUR side though: you add a character to YOUR list, and it's on YOUR list for all of YOUR chars. I see no privacy issue with that direction at least.
  7. Seni Active Member

You don't see that as a privacy issue?
  8. Faelynn Active Member

Did you miss the last sentence of my post?
  9. Kuulei Well-Known Member

Ok add this feature to gold accounts then!
    But I must admit, I have some characters on ignore and I know very well they have alts I still group with o_O
    Another issue, is I have a friend whose spouse plays. I have all of this annoying spouses known toons on ignore and only have his wife's toons that I will message or group with.
  10. Rainmare Well-Known Member

no I don't need to rethink. I don't invite people known to get drunk and act stupid around in RL, why would I put up with it in Everquest? and a lot of times i give people the benefit of doubt unless I see the teaxt lokkign lke dissss caus thye too sdrunk to spall anymoreeee.

My ignore list is easily twice as long as my friends list precisely because of having to add someone with 14 alts an alt at a time to it. and I put them there because I use say General to keep an eye out for grouping (since most don't use LFG channel) as well as things like Guide events (they are only allowed to advertise the events in General). and yeah I don't care to see or want my chatbox scroll zipping along from someone calling people obscene names and such because they're upset they can't get a group and there for the rest of the server must be demeaned...only to see them back in 3 minutes on an alt. once they realize they might be being /ignored by the folks using the chat channel. or becuase they are obviously drunk..and a mean drunk at that.

I also tend to ignore the people with the super inflated 'I am a god of X class on this server, you should bow and kiss my feet on any subject I speak on' min maxer egos...usually after teh sixth 3 line response in as many minutes about why X piece of gear is crap and Y piece he's wearing is super cool because of a .02% difference on a parse.

and I'd rather just ignore the entire accounts, rather then have to put in there alts each time I come across them.
    Sigrdrifa likes this.
  11. Seni Active Member

I may indeed have. I see above where you mentioned you were in no way saying this was a GOOD thing, just that it was possible - then saying the account-wide showing of names would only be on YOUR side (the ignorer's).

My question was more directed to the second one - because although the list would only be on ignorer's side, the "ignorer" could be anyone. From how it sounded, someone could plug in anyone's character name and get all their alts - ie., previously mentioned stalker dude types in stalkee character and voila: he has all her character names. Which is why I was asking.. maybe I missed something in your explanation.
  12. Balbasur Active Member

What can really make you that miserable that you require the devs to code in a an account wide ignore?
  13. Ruckus Well-Known Member

I like the idea of being able to ignore a character across my entire account. If I /ignore Bigjerk on one character, then Bigjerk is ignored on all of my characters and I don't have to see his nonsense at all. Once I find out that Dumbjerk is Bigjerk's alt, then I /ignore Dumbjerk on one character, and then it causes Dumbjerk to be ignored on my other 7 characters.
    Sigrdrifa and aspekx like this.
  14. Vladislav Active Member

I really do not see how that would work except for some incredible luck. That ignored person has to be the only one on the list, on alt AND talking at the same time as you are monitoring and you have to parse logs to find the difference. That is a rather huge undertaking for just *maybe* finding that single alt of someone you are trying to stalk. We are talking a rather large number of hours spent just on that task.
    It would be much easier to /friend that person and as soon as you get the log off notice, scan zones to see who new logs in the following 30 seconds, get a list of names, and whittle that list down each time you run this test. Bet you can find most active alts of your target within a week or 2 with just a couple of hours of actual work.
    Sigrdrifa likes this.
  15. Cruxifier Member

Well now we all know ;) /back to topic
    aspekx likes this.
  16. Ucala Well-Known Member

oh man, is that how an account wide ignore function would work? I had no idea. thanks for explaining it to me
  17. Balbasur Active Member

I'm going to not support this.

I will support however if some one ignores you, you can't see there text either.

The reason why I can't support the OP is that I feel like players should be mature enough to just /ignore and get done with it and not /chat channel another one to the ignore list; /chat channel and the ignore list gets bigger; /chat channel wtb ignore expander etc.
  18. Errrorr An Actual EQ2 Player

Just add multiple people to /ignore.

Using account wide ignore could be bad for the following reason:

You add 10+ people to account wide ignore. You then try to join a pickup group 2 days later. The leader tries to send you an invite, you have their random other alt on ignore.
    Now which of those 10+ people is it? You don't have a clue, and end up removing all 10 of them from the list just to get into group.

Just leave it as it is. If someone is a troll on one toon, doesn't mean they are on all of them *shrugs*
  19. Cloudrat Well-Known Member

A rose by any other name......
    Mermut, DreadRoberts and aspekx like this.
  20. Ruckus Well-Known Member

Glad to help, Bigjerk!
    Sigrdrifa likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.