Main Differences: Ranger and Assassin.

Discussion in 'Ranger' started by ARCHIVED-Kimirahi, Nov 19, 2004.

1. ARCHIVED-Kimirahi Guest

Title of Thread says all!
  2. ARCHIVED-NightFalcon Guest

Ranger=Good
    Assasin=Bad
  3. ARCHIVED-blitz Guest

This is from a post I wrote for someone else wondering about rangers, but it has some comparison, hope it helps:

Good things about the ranger class; damage, group wide speed modifier, roleplaying potential, scouting abilities.

Rangers are supposedly meant to be bow-based Melee damage, in the high end. Most ranger specials are done with the Bow. Rangers SEEM TO BE meant as high end damage dealers, I described it to a friend like this;

Scouts are the Utility class
    Bards are the utility of the utility, they do less damage and have a TON of utility songs.
    Rogues are the Mix between damage and utility. They do medium damage and have a moderate amount of utility. Still very useful to a group.
    Predators are the ultimate destroyers. Their "utility" is the ability to deal extreme damage.

Within that subset of damage dealers called "Predators", the Assassin is the Close Range fighter, and the ranger is the Long Range fighter. If I'm not mistaking Sony's intention, a high end ranger could essentially sit with the wizards and clerics, launching high damage archery attacks, and be a viable DPS component of a group. Conversely a high end assassin is in the thick of it, doing extreme amounts of damage from directly behind the target at close range. We're talking about two different playstyles with the same result; pain.

This role is why rangers don't have things like Stifles. How could a bowman stifle a target? I mean, aside from an arrow through the throat.

Any utility you want a ranger to have has been stripped out and replaced by the ability to do harm. They have the "escape" ability and path finding, thats about all you'll be loved for. That, and dropping a dragon with a 2,500 hitpoint Bow shot from 50 meters, unless I miss my guess on Sony's intent.

Again, most of this is speculation, since we haven't seen many level 45 rangers running around yet.