Mage Ethereals ...

Discussion in 'Mages' started by Cefur, Jun 19, 2016.

1. Cefur Member

Which rune is everyone shooting for and why? Getting close to 90 coins. :)
  2. Veta Well-Known Member

Depends on your class. As a summoner, I do not care for the reset rune. It does not reset any swarm/pet abilities, except soulburn. The other abilities it resets are relatively short cooldowns anyways except theurgist's detonation and elemental toxicity. Usually sorcs aim for this rune because it resets a lot of their good stuff.

The siphon rune is only 20% pot for the group and 60% debuff on mob. With how high potency is, 20% is nothing and less than that of static runes. The only thing that makes this rune considerable is the debuff portion. It is even better if the debuff stacks, which I haven't tested.

The instant recast rune wasn't great, initially, but I think it is probably the better option if a summoner had to choose one. It had damage scaling issues in the past and wouldn't work well or at all with certain abiliies. I noticed as of recently it seems to be working with more abilities a bit better than before.
  3. Entropy Well-Known Member

The only one that even comes close to being worthy of the ethereal tag is the reset rune, and that's still debatable and highly class specific.

The siphoning rune, as stated, is only worth it for the debuff. Potency scaling on gear has made the group buff basically worthless (on par with crafted runes.)

The doublecast one is buggy, but otherwise still pretty mediocre due to the internal cooldown and the inability to control where/when it's applied.

Meanwhile, scouts get 100 fervor (great for bursting) and the reset rune (thats hits a lot of good stuff for most scouts - again, not everything).

Scouts definitely get the best deal out of these runes. Mages, tanks, and healers are kind of left shuffling around looking for a silver lining in a disappointing situation.
    Hiza and DoomDrake like this.
  4. strange New Member

As a Conju that actually has a reset rune I would run it, Maybe it only resets soulburn and tox but still better then not having one
  5. Beee Well-Known Member

I love the mythical mutli attacks of the essence of expertiese by using my elemental blast.. 40 hits.. that rocks :)

Too sad this rune (or the old OneAbove ethernal weapon) is not used very often. It make a huge difference if you watchout for the trigger or not
  6. Luciuz Active Member

Just curious as to why you'd rather have a rune over two jewelry pieces Cefur. Unless RNG was kind to you and you had all three of them drop for you. I understand it's your coins you can buy whatever you want with them, and that this question was for the runes.
  7. Cefur Member

8. Cefur Member

I am a raider and if DBG stays true to form, all this jewelry will be made obsolete when the new raid zones come out later this year but these runes seem to be the wave of the future. And with how rare they are .. I would rather get a good one now than become a troll on a page stating how long that I have been running Contested or Chasing Keys for the one I want ... :)
    -Soteria- likes this.
  9. Luciuz Active Member

True. As Vetaxz said depends on your class. As a necro the runes aren't very attractive to me having experience obtaining all three of last year's ethereals. Good luck on your endeavor.

I wish DB would implement rune updates, they still rely on having to do last year's expansion's content to craft them. Not meaning to change the subject, am I crazy or did DB promise purple armor rune and white adornment updates?
    Cefur likes this.
  10. Anunnaki Active Member

For me (Conjy) its still the reset rune. I havent had recent experience with the doublecast one, but it was borderline insulting how bad it was in AoM, so I'm not sure how it could have gotten better. Soulburn, ETox, Theu Det, and EQ are still good spells to reset, and it actually does help out a lot if you can get the reset mechanics from the hammer and the rune to be spaced out properly (yeah, pure luck, but when it happens its gold.)
  11. Vlkodlak Well-Known Member

The reset rune has the only real benefit for me. Scouts and Fighters both are given 100 fervor adorn choices with nothing for the mages. I guess I am not surprised, DB mimicked the last tier ethereal item proc's and made them into adorns without balancing them out, doesn't take any work or thinking there.

Entropy summed it up quite well above...

Entropy summed it up very well above, the Mages are pretty much left out of decent adorns
  12. Anjel Member

How is the reset rune for coercers? I have enough for a rune and wanted to see what others felt worked best for them.
  13. Daryl Member

As a necro, of the runes I pref'd the reset rune. Being able to upkeep ET is okay and having double Rot Flesh is kind of nice since it's a nice DoT (usually right around soulrot) plus has the damage increase to the mob for the, albeit short, duration... and I cant really complain about free resets on a decent AoE, so there's that lol.

Besides that, unless it's been changed... the siphon rune is pretty trash and the expertise rune doesn't work correctly with our pets. It'll copy the dumbfires if casted with it, but they'll have no stats and do a total of like 4k dps... woo.

I know Veta said this has since changed, or at least changed for some of our spells... Anyone have any parses or anything that would be able to show that this is the case?
  14. Ratitz Active Member

the expertise rune is pretty good if you are a conj. if you time it right with elemental blast, it can generate some pretty nice numbers. But for both summoners, overall the reset rune is the best. but none of them are all that "needed" to parse well.
  15. Beee Well-Known Member

Making swarmpets work wtih Ethereal Expertise should be very easy.. just add CB/Pot/Fervor :)
    But I think it will never happen. Think about a perfect timing for necro undead horde or conjurer communion.. That will be a huge boost. In the actual implementation it's just a lag binger.. 24 pet from an undead horde with the same dps as the regular 12, but doubled lag.. brrrrr

Swarmpets shoud be removed from the Code of Ethernal expertiese.. just ignore them.. or make them work. actual it's let's say friendy.. not very professional

Maybe somebody should create an dgctracker issue ;)

If somebody thinks about Expertiese or Reset.. you must not Forget: Expertiese is great groupsupport too, it's not only for yout own dps!
  16. Siakar New Member

If somebody thinks about Expertiese or Reset.. you must not Forget: Expertiese is great groupsupport too, it's not only for yout own dps![/quote]

Wanted to piggy back off this. Let's say you have a mage group with Wiz, Warlock, Illy, with 3 mages would the Expertise rune be a great option ( in addition to the reset rune of course) if all 3 ran it? I currently have the rest rune on my Illy and I'm considering dropping it for expertise anyways.
  17. Mélo New Member

It is fun to see your icons flash but dps wise the impact is minimal. Most of our recast are 10s to 20s, there is not much to save. It is interesting for Blinding Shot with its 30s recast that's about it. Then again, even it is minimal, it is probably better than most war runes out there. Definitively get the Ethereal potency items before this rune.
    Anjel likes this.
  18. Azian Well-Known Member

So, I'm kind of at a decision time on my alt necro now. I've finally gotten 90 coins. I've not had any luck with jewelry drops though so have zero ethereals of any type right now. I know that I'd see the most overall benefit in the short term if I were to buy two of the jewelry items rather than the reset rune. However, I have a feeling that the rune might have legs well into the next expansion when the other gear is getting replaced with new content items. I also am not sure I'll get all the way up to another 90 coins since this toon is not my first one up for running zones and only gets played when I've already completed the daily on my main and still have time to do it again. Decisions, decisions.
  19. Mathews New Member

Does the reset rune work for Elemental Blast? I see it doesn't work on any dumbfires but does work for ETox and Soulburn. Wondering about EB.
  20. Ratitz Active Member

No.