Lvl 32 woodworker here, Asking for advise

Discussion in 'Tradeskill Discussion' started by ARCHIVED-jsand1128, Apr 27, 2008.

1. ARCHIVED-jsand1128 Guest

Hey everyone just wondering whats the fastest way to lvl my woodworker and my Carpenter? I use the rush orders alot but i also wanted to know if there was a better way to setup the hotkeys for tradeskilling and if there is a faster way to hit the hot keys. Any help would be great. thanks
  2. ARCHIVED-Elorah Guest

Lol...

I have no idea about setting up hotkeys to be honest. I am an old fashioned crafter that just hits the keys when able... My husband saw me crafting once and wanted to help me out, so he bought me the Logitech G15 in hopes that I could use one of the buttons to make a macro for the keys... never did... lol Although I will admit that I LOVE the back lit keys...

There is no faster way to hit them as they will only go when the reset timer is complete... You can queue a skill, but only one it seems....

*edited due to sounding like I didnt know what the keys were for*
  3. ARCHIVED-Karlen Guest

When woodworking, with the three durability skills as 1-2-3 and progress ones as 4-5-6, I usually do three skills every tick. I start out with 1-2-3, 1-2-3, 1-2-3 to build up some durability (you can go "past" the end of the last bar into the invisible "fifth" bar). Then I do 4-5-6 repeatedly until done. If, for some reason, durability unexpectedly drops, I do some 1-2-3s to build it back up.

When an "event" pops up, I make sure to counter it, but I try to use 3 skills every tick.

Remember also that if you successfully counter an event, you will automatically succeed so it is always safe to use one of the -progress skills.

Make sure to examine all the skills to see what they do.
  4. ARCHIVED-SilkenKidden Guest

Karlen@Befallen wrote:
    I don't understand how you can use three skills a tick. You do the first, and the second gets queued. Then you have to wait until the second starts up before doing the third. I sometimes then end up with an event to be countered and the wrong skill being clicked. Even though I have one going and one in the hopper, I have to click the right skill to counter the event when it occurs, don't I? I guess you have much better hand/eye coordination than I do. I think I have to stick to two skills per tick.
  5. ARCHIVED-Karlen Guest

Yes, always counter events with the right skill.

The key to it is getting a feel for the timing. A tick happens every 3 or 4 seconds. If there is going to be an event, it happens immediately after the tick (when the bar moves).

What you need to do is not do anything until just after the tick. Then press three skills in succession, but slowly enough that you aren't pressing the third one until the 2nd one has begun. Make sure you are done pressing the three well before the next tick.

This means that you don't have anything queued up to go when the tick happens and when an event happens, the queue is free.

*tick* 1-2-3 *tick*

If you can't manage three, try it with two to start with.
  6. ARCHIVED-Maelwys Guest

I've noticed when my internet connection is laggy that a key can appear to get "queued" and not get executed for a few seconds. If this happens it sometimes doesn't fire until the next tick which can screw up any new events that may have occurred.
  7. ARCHIVED-Karlen Guest

Another thing that will help would be to get some items that increase your skill or success chance. There is a stickied list at the top of the forum. For example, the following tinkered items increase your woodworking success chance:

Automated finishing saw +1%
    Automated Gnomish plane +2%
    Measure twicerer +3%

As well, when you get to woodworking level 50, head to the Village of Shin (off of TS dock) and do the quest that will give you a +10 fletching knife. That makes things a lot easier, since you will succeed a lot more often.
  8. ARCHIVED-BigChiefJJ Guest

I have my keys set up like this:
    1= +durability - success chance
    2= +durability - progress
    3= +durability (costs power)
    4= +progress - success chance
    5= +progress - durability
    6= +progress (costs power)
    I will usually start of my combines going 3, 4, 5 (again making sure 3 is finished before hitting 5), then use 4, 5, then 3, 4, 5 again using this same pattern until I'm done or unless my durability gets below about 50% on the 4th bar - if that happens I'll usually just hit 3, 4 or 1, 3 if the durability hit is really bad. About the only time I'll use key 2 is if I've had 2 or 3 critical failures in a row and REALLY need the durability boost. My goal is to start off with a small durability boost and then use the +durability (costs power) to keep me between 50-100% in the 4th bar as needed while using the 4 & 5 buttons (and even 6 if I'm toward the end of the combine and have full durability) to speed up the progress.
    Honestly I can continue hitting 3, 4, 5 every round and if I'm using drink and totems (since you're a WW these should be easy to get) I'll never run low on power.
    It does take about half a second for each art to complete so you do have time to hit the 3, 4, (slight pause) 5 before the tick or round is up. If your having trouble hitting the numbers too fast - I find that using the mouse actually slows me down a bit and I almost never queue a third reaction art up before the first is complete, and I do this using the number pad quite often.
    If you only think you can only get two in per round - I'd really suggest using either 1,5 or 3,4 - this gives you both +durability and progress on each round.
  9. ARCHIVED-Calthine Guest

Silken@Butcherblock wrote:
    There's 4 seconds per round, plenty of time. Something to remember is that events only happen at the start of the round. So:

1. wait for the numbers to float up indicating a new round has started.
    2. if there's an event, counter it, otherwise pic an art to start with
    3. queue the second art
    4. when the second art fires, queue the third art.

Rinse and repeat!
  10. ARCHIVED-SilkenKidden Guest

Calthine wrote:
    Very good advice, especially the first step about waiting for the numbers to float up. I didn't want to admit I didn't actually know when a new round started. You made it very easy. Thank you. I'll work at this method.
  11. ARCHIVED-Terron Guest

It's more important to get three skills per round than to make sure you counter events.
    There is actually no need to pay any attention to countering events - I wish there were.
    The bonus from doing so is minor and not needed to complete rush orders with 2-3 minutes to spare.
    Just drumming you fingers on your progress arts several times per round, switching to durability arts if durability drops below about 50% of the 4th row works.
  12. ARCHIVED-Karlen Guest

>>>Very good advice, especially the first step about waiting for the numbers to float up. I didn't want to admit I didn't actually know when a new round started.<<<

I usually judge the tick by sound (which should coincide with the bar moving on the screen). Watching the numbers would work too, but I usually can't see the numbers since they are hidden behind my inventory boxes, house vault boxes, workstation window, broker screen, mailbox window and guild screen which are usually all open when I am crafting.
  13. ARCHIVED-Elorah Guest

Terron@Splitpaw wrote:
    A possible rare isnt worth paying attention to the events? Wow.... I have all crafters and even I try to counter the events for that all elusive rare.... lol
  14. ARCHIVED-Karlen Guest

>>>A possible rare isnt worth paying attention to the events? Wow.... I have all crafters and even I try to counter the events for that all elusive rare.... lol<<<

That has happened only once to me in 80 levels of woodworking. The main reason I counter events is because you get a power boost. If I don't have power regen (totem/food) running, then missing events will mean that I will eventually run out of power and have to wait to regain it.

But I don't lose sleep in the event that I miss an event.
  15. ARCHIVED-Te'ana Guest

I have gotten the "rare" twice since it was implemented; once on my then low level provisioner right after the change and once about a month ago when my 80 carpenter was making a low level grey recipe :(
    That said, I always counter events becauses it makes the process less boring. As a result I nearly always have the "purple" glow when crafting.
    Also, I never use the progress button that lowers durability and I use the durability button that reduces progress only when responding to an event.
  16. ARCHIVED-Elorah Guest

Hmmm. I have seen the Favor of Innovation a few times.. On each crafter....

It is a NICE tip though that Calthine gives... thank you *wink*

*edit* silly typo's so early in the morning....
  17. ARCHIVED-donilla Guest

I have never, in all my crafting, received a rare return. And I don't fail, so obviously I'm just not very lucky. That said, I counter everything. If you don't you're much more likely to loose durability and then have to go back to spamming dur hotkeys instead of progress, slowing the whole process down.
    But I don't really see the point of adding any crafting dur/prog keys to your hotbar. The new GUI maps the 3 dur to the 1,2,3 number keys and the progress to the 4,5,6. No need to chew up hotbar space. If you want to drag actually recipe icons to the hotbar, you can do that, especially for those items you make over and over.
    If you are trying to speed up the whole skilling thing, I'd say you are going about it the right way. Every time you level, hit the rush writs, picking up all the xp for your first pristines. Then fill in with any many remaining pristines that aren't covered by the writs. Then make a bit of anything that might sell, then back to the writs. I don't really see any other way.
  18. ARCHIVED-Terron Guest

Elorah wrote:
    Yes - The possibility is so low that it isn't worth the effort.
    I used to counter most events, when it was needed, and I have only ever had 2 rares, and one of those was T1.
  19. ARCHIVED-Terron Guest

Donilla@Antonia Bayle wrote:
    No, it does not slow you down much.
    I usually have 2-3 minutes to spare on rush orders.
  20. ARCHIVED-SilkenKidden Guest

Terron@Splitpaw wrote:
    Oh dear, I'm compulsive about countering the events even when I have a level 80 character crafting and there's no chance she will fail.
    I feel bad if I miss an event. Even crafting from home or alone in a trade skill instance I look furtively over my shoulders to see if anyone is watching and quickly click the key that would have countered the failed event in the first place - like I'm expecting the game to forgive me and give me a second chance. :)
    BTW, I only got the rare one time. It was a lovely surprise when it happened. Now I keep hoping I will get it again but I don't really expect it.