Luv me...hate me..the ...

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by rutro, Jun 17, 2018.

1. rutro Well-Known Member

Man with the mask is back. Tried Korean MMOs , BDO, Archeage...Japanese-FF14, and it all came down to mechanics and depth of content. FF14 has ok mechanics, but for me ...it is too streamlined. WOW is good until end game IMO>... Luv me hate me...it does not matter...guess I am just going to cross my fingers and play the MMO that 'feels good'. #Rant/Derp/FoolforEq2... I know I have posted a similar post before, and it really is kinda sad...LOL! Suppose, I should go back to grinding the Epic 2.0 lol....PS- how are Wardens now days? Are they just fillers? Or, can they be legit to invite to raid? ]
    Signed-
    Fool for EQ2...
  2. Meneltel Well-Known Member

Welcome back fool! I don't raid so cant answer that. Good luck here (again)!
    rutro likes this.
  3. Mermut Well-Known Member

For tough content, wardens make absolutely awesome second healers in raids. Those fights pretty much require a shaman in each group.
    Playing a warden and a defiler in two different forces, I can tell you that I absolutely -love- having a warden as the other healer in my group on my defiler. I love my warden to pieces and on easy to moderate fights I can solo heal a (non-tank) group, though I'm usually the 2nd healer in the OT group. Wardens bring some of the best healer buffage to their groups right now (Primal Instinct for the win) and the DR and mit boosters from various AAs help 'thicken' any wards the shaman in our group is using.
    rutro and Tekka like this.
  4. Earar Well-Known Member

wardens are legit

but they are support healers and need to bring their share of dps.
  5. Ummmyeh Active Member

Wardens are beastly in raids. Dps on par with most utility classes. Ward of the Untamed alone is worth its weight in gold in a raid for elemental damage.

Paired with a mystic (which you most likely will be in a raid) they will throw down. I recommend the Elementalist ascension class. Anyone can roll a warden. Not just anyone can roll a warden and make it group heal/ cure/ and dps like a boss.

With that said, good wardens will always have a spot in a raid.

Good luck.

Putting the fun in dysfunctional since 2003
    Earar and Mermut like this.
  6. Mermut Well-Known Member

Honestly, EVERY healer needs to bring their share of dps to raids. Wardens can dish it out very well right now though.
  7. quisling Well-Known Member

^^^
    Absolutely!!It needs to be prioritized, but if all youre doing is spamming heals, you probably ain't doing your job.
    Mermut likes this.
  8. Mercychalice Well-Known Member

There are many elemental detriments this expansions, and that makes wardens absolutely shine when they have the elemental ward. They're very good this expansion.
  9. rutro Well-Known Member

Sweet! Thanks :)
  10. Earar Well-Known Member

i agree, what I meant by that is compared to templar, mystic, defiler ... you need to bring something else than just heals where as those 3 classes are now "main" healers and can get away with low dps number more easily.
  11. Mermut Well-Known Member

Healers with wards can be slackers.. others cannot? :p;)
  12. Earar Well-Known Member

they definitelly can :)
  13. Mermut Well-Known Member

Poor word choice in my part... I should have said 'healers with wards are -allowed- to be slackers, but other healers are not?' =:p
  14. Earar Well-Known Member

there definitely are any types of healers that still think their only role is to heal .; and nothing else

warders can get away with that .. but non warders ... they are then kind of useless :/
  15. Rhodris EQ2Wire Ninja

That's really odd to me, because I always thought that a healer's job in a group is......to heal?
  16. Earar Well-Known Member

then you're out of date :)

our job is to replace chanters !!
    rutro likes this.
  17. Rhodris EQ2Wire Ninja

Good grief....why bother with the 'trinity' then? Ahhh....that's why they have ascensions now - so you don't have to bother with the trinity - everyone just does dps.

Yes, it's been a loooooong time since last I grouped with other than a friend.
  18. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

Your FIRST priority is to keep the tank alive, healed, and cured. Your group's health is the next priority, but in between that you should be doing what DPS you can.

As a healer, if you are using Ascensions, you'd better macro your heals/cures with /cancel_spellcast because if the tank or your group has a health emergency while you're in the midst of a long Ascension spellcast, you may get someone killed.

People talk about Ascensions as if they are the end-all and be-all, but when you divide the damage it does by the large number of seconds it takes to cast, you will find that a lot of Ascension spells are lower DPS than a bunch of your regular profession spells. AND Ascensions use a LOT more power per cast, which can be a problem in a power-sucking fight.

I'd recommend setting up a guildhall epic training dummy and making it immortal, then turn on ACT (if you don't have Advanced Combat Tracker installed, do so, it's free). For this exercise, you won't be using heals, it's just to figure out how to do the best DPS you can with the tools you've got.

You'll want to experiment to figure out which spells/combat arts are the most efficient. You can figure this out with ACT, you can also look up your character on Dragon's Armory's Spell tab and sort by Efficiency in descending order, and note the efficiency order there for damage spells/CAs (this isn't perfect, because of Census problems, but it can help guide you). The most efficient order doesn't take debuffs into account, so you also need some experimentation.

If you have debuff spells (and I think all healers probably do), read the spells and know WHAT they debuff, and then look at your damage spells/CAs to see what type of damage they do. It may get you better DPS to throw a debuff, followed by an attack or two that does that type of damage. This is where running ACT helps. The order of spellcasts can make a big difference in how much DPS you really do. Once you know your orders, arrange your hotbars to make that casting order easy.

Then you do your heals/wards, do a little damage, cure as needed, renew the heals/wards, DPS again, etc.
    rutro and Breanna like this.
  19. Rhodris EQ2Wire Ninja

Yup, that was always the way I viewed it, and what I did. Yet it appears now that healing is a secondary priority and dps is the first, for all class types.

Nope, don't use macros - no need (as stated in my earlier post, I don't group, let alone raid or anything else).

Precisely why I don't bother with them, not to mention they are painfully slow to cast (no, I'm not boring myself out of my mind grinding PGs, PQs, or anything else for the orange adornments to make casting quicker - I play for fun, not as a god-awfully boring job).

You are making an assumption that I've even got a guildhall. I don't, nor do I see the need to use third-party programmes. I have no need to use ACT because (as stated above, which you seem to have missed entirely) I don't group or raid (any more).

No, I won't want to do that. I already know what rotation works (I've been playing my main (a fury) for 14 years now).

This is Healing 101. Actually, this is GAMING 101 - always read your spell descriptions and understand what they do. And would you really think that after 14 years playing that I wouldn't have my hotbars arranged accordingly?!

Please understand - I'm not a new player. As I stated above, I have not grouped for a very long time, so am unaware of the significant dynamics change around ascensions/dps requirements, even for healers. This isn't to say that I didn't do my job correctly and well, when I did used to raid. I understand your desire to be helpful, but I found the tone of your post to be a touch patronising.

EDIT: Spelling, who needs it, right?
  20. quisling Well-Known Member

if you don't group and don't dps, who the heck kills the mobs you're standing in front of?

Edit: not sure where you got the idea that any priest posting thinks dps'ing as a priest is more important than healing. Personally, for the healers I raid and group with, I want it all, healing, curing, debuffing and dps'ing, in an intelligently prioritized order.
    Mermut likes this.