Low FPS

Discussion in 'Players Supporting Players' started by Vladislav, Mar 30, 2018.

1. Vladislav Active Member

Hello,

I have recently upgraded my gaming rig and now eq2 is running worse than my old laptop. It looks like it is running on my onboard card and not on my Nvidia 1080 ti. When I use eq2 settings on launcher, it "recommends" High Performance and in-game I am about 10-20 fps on balanced.

Currently my system is running MSI Z170A Gaming M3 mobo, i5 6600k cpu, 16 gigs of ram, Nvidia GeForce 1080 ti 12 gig and evo 960 SSD. The game should be blazing at 60-90 fps on max settings, not crawling at 10. I have changed the Nvidia control panel's setting for power at max performance, installed all the recent drivers including BIOS, and when I run DX Diagnostics, computer does see my card just fine. I also do not have any issues running other games at high fps.

If anyone has experienced this issue and solved it, please let me know which solution worked for you.
  2. Beee Well-Known Member

Copy your eq2_recent.ini file from the old Installation to the new Computer; so you should have the same graphical options for comparison
  3. Vladislav Active Member

Unfortunately I have reinstalled eq2 to new hd and no longer have it. However it should not play any role in eq2setup recommending me high performance for my gaming rig when it shows "Balanced" to a laptop that is running integrated video. I have also disabled HPET in BIOS hoping for an increase, but no dice. :(
  4. Tekka Well-Known Member

Go into your options in game, make sure you click the advanced button.

Under Display go through each menu and turn off/tweak settings until you get the desired effect. The usual suspects for poor performance are shadows, reflections, everything under water and atmospheric, cloth simulation and render cloaks can have some effect, as well as flora clutter.

Good luck.
    Cheallaigh likes this.
  5. Vladislav Active Member

Thanks! Unfortunately it looks like if I turn everything off, I still am running around 45 fps, which is beyond terrible for the level of system that I am running. I am looking for everything maxed out AND 60+ fps with 1080 ti. Currently my laptop is not even half the system of my game rig and manages up to 90 fps with high quality settings. I really think that something in my setup prevents eq2 from seeing my graphics card and default to onboard, hence "high performance" recommendation from eq2Setup (which is completely independant of my eq2_recent.ini or my in-game settings.
  6. Aniko Member

EQ2 almost does not use the video card (see 'GPU Load' in the GPU-Z utility). Want more FPS? - overclock your CPU
    Kawoosh likes this.
  7. Vladislav Active Member

That is true, except that I am running much better on my laptop CPU than on my desktop's which should not happen. Also before I upgraded to SSD and to 1080 ti I had 30-60 fps on the same CPU running GTX 970. Something happened during the upgrade and I think it is visibility of 1080 to eq2 that is the issue here.
  8. flameweaver Well-Known Member

Just checked the specs for the mobo. This has onboard graphics with a max ouput of 60fps. I suggest checking your BIOS settings to disable the onboard graphics. Chances are that EQ2 is using the onboard chipset rather than the 1080ti.
  9. Vladislav Active Member

I have BIOS settings for PEG enabled, in my device manager only 1080 shown under display adapters. I do not think there are any other settings available to disable onboard graphics any more than they already are :(
  10. Aniko Member

Perhaps the laptop has a display resolution less than a desktop.
    Try to compare at the same screen resolution.
  11. Vladislav Active Member

Did, run them both at same resolution, same refresh, tried 2 different monitors and laptop running through a monitor :(

I am still hung up on eq2Settings recommending high performance setting. I think my next step is to reformat and reinstall windows, remove every single component out of computer and then put it all back together. I already removed and re-installed the video card to no improvement.

Right now playing ff14 with everything maxed and solid 60 fps.
  12. Finora Well-Known Member

If your computer is forcing EQ2 to run on the onboard card, go into your Nvidia settings and pick the card you want it to actually run on. I know i had to do that for my new laptop. It did improve the performance I had.
    Rosyposy likes this.
  13. lostatsea New Member

ummm it does if you run at a modern resolution