"Lost Connection to Server" at Character Select Screen because of too much time away?

Discussion in 'Players Supporting Players' started by Uwkete-of-Crushbone, Aug 28, 2018.

1. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Like a good li'l player, I've been trying to be good about doing /camp if I know I'll be /afk for longer than a few minutes or milliseconds or whatever we're allowed these days, so I can like, y'know, EAT, deal with other functions of biology, etc., and yet it seems I'm not even allowed that? When I come back to the game, I'd like to be able to get in with a minimum of fuss (and I'm not even mentioning the numerous times I've been booted to Character Select involuntarily, for such nefarious activities on my part like trying to zone or /camp to an alt; then I get penalized for apparently having "a character still in the world." "No, I don't; YOU booted ME, jerk!"), but apparently that's not something a good customer should want.

Why is this? :-/

Uwk
    Breanna and Cyrrena like this.
  2. Xianthia Well-Known Member

I've noticed that every once in a while when I go afk and get booted to character select screen, it's less glitchiness if you exit the game and re-log in.

When I used to log in from character select (after getting booted) the game performance/responsiveness would usually suffer. Either lag or just weirdness in delays performing tasks.

I recommend just exit and re-log back in to start fresh.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  3. Tekka Well-Known Member

For a good long while, you could go AFK in a house or guildhall indefinitely, but you would get kicked to character select after 30-60 minutes in the open world.

A couple of years ago, that flip-flopped, you could idle in the open world without getting the boot, but not indoors.

So far as I know, you've been able to sit at the character select screen for as long as you want. Unless a change has been made recently.
  4. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

For months I watched a character logged in by the Chronomages in Qeynos harbor for a seemingly endless amount of time. I could see the character there, take the quest from the Chronomage, go do that, putter around a bit, come back to turn the quest in an hour or two later and they were still sitting in the same spot, doing nothing that I could see. I could log in, play a few hours, there the character wat, log out for an hour or more, come back and there the character was. No idea why someone would want to sit by the Chronomages doing nothing for hours upon hours everyday. The only time the character would not be by the Chronomages was if the server was brought down or crashed and I logged back in as soon as it was back up.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Breanna like this.
  5. Almee Well-Known Member

I mentioned this problem, of being kicked to character select, just a few days ago, and was told to submit a ticket. Well I've brought this up, a number of times, on surveys I sent, when I end my subscriptions, and nothing has been done about it for years that I can see.

I too have seen characters logged in for hours on end but my characters get the boot after about a half hour whether I'm in housing or out in the world. I normally log, like the OP does, but sometimes things take longer than you anticipate because you think you are going to be doing one thing and something else comes up that demands instant attention.

But my problem goes beyond just being booted for being afk for too long. I get booted during zoning (especially into housing) or for no reason at all that I can see. Sometimes it is to character select and sometimes to desktop.

It is super annoying--especially when part of a group. I've been robbed of more loot, from being booted right at the end of a main-boss fight, than I want to contemplate.

[edit] Dang, while I was typing this, waiting for my character to load, my character ended up in my crafting house with not a stitch of furniture in it or any of the apprentices. Maybe I should just call it a day if it is how it is going to go.
    Cyrrena and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  6. Almee Well-Known Member

My current problem is being fixed. Hopefully they will get some of the other problems fixed as they have time.
    Cyrrena and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  7. Medicus New Member

Reminds me of a time I fell asleep in qeynos harbour not to far from the chronomages and the next day I was still logged in but on our guild forums there were loads of screenshots from guildies with way too much spare time on their hands submitting lots of interesting screenshot scenes they had created around me :)
  8. Breanna Well-Known Member

I think too you can stay AFK in the world and not in a guild hall or house OR OBULOUS FRONTIER they just kill you there instead of booting you to character select, if I'm going to be afk for a while I usually just zone out to Antonica or someplace and go afk there so I don't have to log back in again.
  9. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

True, and that's often the case. Ostensibly, we're not supposed to just /afk, anywhere, period, for any reason, for any length of time, and especially (gasp!) if we're going to be doing something; a guild buddy of mine would often go /afk while doing rush writs, to avoid being yammered at by various gabby folks and distracted. ;->

Yeah, that's what I thought, and that's what I'm wondering. :-/

Gah! Thanks for the head's-up; I won't linger too long in the 'Frontier then. :-/

Uwk
    Cyrrena likes this.
  10. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

They don't like loitering in Obulous. All those goblins get jittery when people are just standing about, they think you are planning a coup. So its off with your head.
  11. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

You get best results if you fly up into the air out of reach of anything nasty when you AFK, I've noticed.
  12. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

You can stay up there indefinitely? Cool! :D

Uwk
  13. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

That is what I do, that way I know any merc I may have out will not do anything and my pony won't pinch anything while I am away if a node spawns near it.