Looking for some suggestions before I burn out!

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Snickerdoodlez, Aug 15, 2017.

1. Snickerdoodlez New Member

Hey all, been awhile since I played... I played pretty vigorously at launch and for quite awhile after until the expansions and mercs came and started muddling up the vanilla experience (which I prefer).

So I started on Fallen Gate and am having a pretty good time. I made an SK because I like to tank and one of my favourite classes to play.

Well I'm 14 now (evil side) and just grinding WC over and over. It was fun the first few times. Now I'm not really looking for a 'super fast route' but I would like to speed up things and make my limited time more efficient while playing.

Can anyone suggest some areas or a leveling path I can go to / do aside from grinding WC? Are there any other dungeons around this level? Perhaps a more closed-up zone with a dense group of kill quests?

Not really looking for the long, elaborate, travel-all-over the world exploration quests, would like a few other options aside from WC to level though. Preferably lots of killing.

Thanks... any tips for 15-20 would be great as well.
  2. Greene Active Member

Usually people post on the TLE forum by accident, this one is the other way around :p

Exp is set just a taaad too low on FG (IMO). And at the 15-20 level, the quests are especially bad (20+ minutes of running across one or more giant zones, 0.2% a hand in it feels).

If you're sick of WC, you'll be running FG just as much. You *can* buy the cheapo 2 hr exp pots, and it will help you out level dungeons faster. I spent my free 500 DBC on several of those when I became sick of a level tier :p
  3. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

Wailing Caves isn't the only level-appropriate zone you could be doing. Blackburrow is another possibility. To get there, travel from the Commonlands to Nek Forest, then to Nek Docks, then to Thundering Steppes, then to Antonica. Blackburrow is by the big waterfall.

Also, check the wiki for Timelines for the zone(s) you're playing in. If you're in WC or BB anyway, you might as well see if you can nab all the quests in that zone, then you get the quest XP as well.

Look also at the Solo Timeline, the Heroic Timeline, and the Dungeon Timeline.
  4. Aezazal Member

T
    This, and I think you'll find that as grindy as it feels in the beginning, you'll outlevel the early zones relatively quickly. It's just nothing like Live where those levels are over in minutes.

I'd also suggest making sure that wherever you go for leveling, that you have quests for that area. Quest xp is a lot better than just grinding kills on TLE. To the extent that I'd say even soloing the quests for each zone can be faster than grind groups in heroic dungeons without any quests.
  5. Pavidus Member

This is something I am running into. The XP is so slow that I get to a point in a zone I can't progress the quests anymore without a group, which is not a bad thing, but It shouldn't be required to advance in a zone's questlines unless that zone is a dungeon.
  6. Zenji Well-Known Member

The suggestion to have quests for any zone you plan to level in is good. However, saying solo questing is faster than grinding heroic dungeons in groups is total nonsense. It is not even close.
  7. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

Actually, at the beginning of EQ2, you kinda did need to either have a group or slightly outlevel content. Over the years on the Live servers, soloing has become much, much easier.

I will say that you will kill stuff faster and easier the more you upgrade your personal equipment and spells/combat arts. It's a really good idea to harvest everything as you quest/travel. You can sell raw ingredients on the broker, and the rares can be made into Mastercrafted gear that's usually much better than the stuff you get as drops. Expert spells and Mastercrafted armor, weapons, and jewelry REALLY help. At the very least, shop the broker and make sure you upgrade your spells to Adepts.
  8. Lyyle Member

We had a similar problem with our duo. We found that doing more than one zone helped a lot. When a questline turns red, it's time to start a parallel one. We're actually enjoying being able to play a broader selection of content at the appropriate level instead of ending up with grey long before the end of the timeline. I just wish the gear was itemized for the upcoming levels and not as much for the previous. By the time you get it you don't need it anymore.
    Prissetta likes this.
  9. Aezazal Member

Total nonsense you say? Rawr much?

Try it out when you're out of vitality and not running xp pots. It ends up being about .1% per kill, if that, on heroic mobs. Your average quest turn-in yields about 3% from what I've seen.

Maybe you're just a super slow quester, or don't know how to work multiple at the same time.
  10. Zenji Well-Known Member

No "rawr" here. I am just calling you out on the misinformation. We will set aside XP pots and VItality and all, that's fine. Group dungeon grinding is still faster. Even exponentially more so with XP pots, but I digress.

Let us go with your math.

.1% per kill so 10 kills = 1%
    A decent group in a decent zone, are pulling more than 10 mobs a minute on average. (1% XP per minute)
    So in 3 minutes a group got what is equal to what you call an average quest. Are you averaging 3 minutes per quest? Not past starter quests you aren't.

You get a good group with good players, you are doubling that pull / kill speed. Not to mention there are dozens of quests for just about any heroic group zone you are going to be grinding in that offer XP rewards much higher than solo quests.
  11. Aezazal Member

Well, I'd call this speed an exaggeration. By and large groups aren't killing 10 mobs per minute in heroics. But hey, I'm pretty sure you're the kind of guy that can't be wrong, so you go ahead with that.

If your math checked out, that would mean that you can get a level every 1 1/2 hours without vitality or pots. Good luck with that.
  12. Aezazal Member

I'll also add that you seem to have not really read what I said to begin with. I stated:

You missed the point.
  13. Pavidus Member

Yeah, I played EQ2 launch, I remember the excitement. Kinda irritated me when they changed things up to make it easier. But that's not what we have here, we don't have these overland heroics running around for logical difficulty, overland is all mostly solo so shouldn't need a group to finish up solo stuff for the intended level range. The XP should roll smoothly through the zones as you progress so the difficulty shouldn't make it impossible. I'm all for a little difficulty like I have right now but I forsee a need to go to other zones in the near future in order to get levels to come back to finish up the zones I had been working on.
  14. Zenji Well-Known Member

My reply included the estimated leveling speed without any quests in dungeons to be vastly superior.
    So when you add in dungeon quest, the leveling speed for dungeons would be even greater.

You can continue to argue all you want, but math is not doing you any favors. Regardless if you accept my pulling speed in dungeons or not is irrelevant. Because the truth is, most people used at least a couple pots while leveling, most people do some quests in dungeons. Both of those truths, push leveling speed in dungeons to be even more efficient.
  15. Zenji Well-Known Member

I have done it twice and working on a 3rd on this server. I have also been surrounded by some of the fastests levelers on the server. So yes this sounds arrogant, but I actually do know what I am talking about when it comes to leveling.

I have leveled with pots, without pots, with groups, solo, questing, collections, discovery. I did not call you out on your crap because I wanted to argue, I did it because the OP was asking for advice and you told them opposite of what is true.
  16. Aezazal Member

Good Lord you just don't stop. I guess I have to really spell things out for you.

My point was never to say that solo questing is faster leveling than running heroics loaded up with xp pots, burning vitality pots, and doing the quests for that heroic zone while you're there.

All I said was:
    1) Quest xp is a lot better than just grinding kills on TLE
    2) soloing the quests for each zone can be faster than grind groups in heroic dungeons without any quests.

The point was, for those slow on the uptake, that simply grinding out heroics is painfully slow. Doing so without the advantage of the quests in the zone should be avoided, and if you're going to do that you might as well run the solo quest lines. Did rephrasing that help?

You have taken this all over the place because either your reading comprehension is poor, or possibly you just wanted to pick a fight. But it's a good thing you "called me out", for the good of the community. Please....make it stop.

As a side note, your philanthropy for your fellow player (the OP in this case) and your great expertise in all things EQ2 are duly noted. You are amazing.
    Fangrim likes this.
  17. Zenji Well-Known Member

You can keep saying it, but it does not make it true. You can remove the other advantages group dungeon grinding has on solo questing through the use of XP pots and heroic quests, and it is still more efficient that solo questing.
    Snikkety likes this.
  18. Melt Actually plays the game

Grinding dungeons with no quests is faster than doing solo overland quests. You are just plain wrong. Dungeons are faster, with or without quests, with or without potions.
    Draknox likes this.
  19. Aezazal Member

Oh no, they've multiplied.
  20. Melt Actually plays the game

I can do an average quest in 5-10 minutes. at 1% xp maximum, that is many hours per level. Lets say I can do 10 at once... Still, around an hour per level, and that's assuming I can pick up 10 quests at a time that all do the same thing and can all be completed that quickly. Meanwhile, I can kill a heroic mob and get .3%xp. it takes 30 seconds to kill 3 of these. Seems like a mathematical error you're looking over. Is your calculator in radian?