Look and Feel

Discussion in 'Zones and Populations' started by ttobey, May 6, 2015.

1. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Room temperature beer? :-/

Uwk
    from a place where "room temperature" = triple digits Fahrenheit :-/
    Whilhelmina and Cassta like this.
  2. Geroblue Well-Known Member

The UK uses a different brewing process than the US beer makers, who were mostly German in the 1800s.
    Cassta and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  3. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

It really depends on the type of beer, the type of malt, and the specific yeast used. A lager is a lager anywhere on earth, and are fermented using a bottom fermenting yeast (Saccharomyces pastorianus) at cool temperatures over a relatively long period of time, while ales are fermented with a top fermenting yeast (Saccharomyces cerevisiae) at much warmer temperatures.

A lot of American beer is watered down panther pee lager as far as you can tell by taste. To make this nasty stuff palatable, we chill it a lot. U.S. beer is served at 35–40°F (1.67°-4.45°C), while U.K. beer is served around 50–55°F (10°-12.78°C). Also, American beer runs 5% ABV (alcohol by volume) vs. about 4% for the average British beer (though this varies).

There are good beers in the U.S. I'm fond of Shiner Bock, which is essentially a dark lager, which so far as I know is only available in Texas. But I like porters a lot, and I can't stand IPAs!
  4. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

ROLFMAO! X-D

Sad that our stronger beer, going by ABV, is worse than the British stuff... ;->

Uwk
    who way prefers Belgian beers, ales, etc.; NO HOPS! :D
    Cassta and Geroblue like this.
  5. Geroblue Well-Known Member

Not all were 5% alcohol. In California, about 1967, they had weaker beer fr the 18 to 21 group. 3.2% alcohol. And Near Beer, tasted and looked like beer, but less than a thousandth of one percent alcohol. I forget how many zeros to the right of the decimal place, but it was more than 3.
  6. ttobey Makes the Monsters Move

7. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

We're about to invite you to a beerfest!
  8. ttobey Makes the Monsters Move

I look away for 5 minutes and you all go bananas.
  9. Breanna Well-Known Member

We learned from the best :)
    Whilhelmina, Cassta, Pixistik and 3 others like this.
  10. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Can you brew beer from bananas? o_O

Although, from what I've heard (and experienced), in the far East, they have either "beer," which is at or below a certain ABV, and "wine," which is EVERYTHING beyond that point, from an additional 1% beyond beer to like 200 Proof or so. No third category. ;->

And according to lots of sci-fi "colonizing of other planets" stories, one of the first things we humans try to do is see what native things can be fermented... ;)

Uwk
    Cassta and Geroblue like this.
  11. Andric Member

I think ideal for Uk beer is natural cellar temp which is around 9-11c - near enough :) Used to work as a cellarman in a uk pub years ago and 50f was the prefered target temp for the cellar - so all the natural casks were at that temp.
    Cassta and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  12. Hartay Keeper of the Server Hamsters

hi yes hello is anyone there?

it is quite lonely in here
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Cassta like this.
  13. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

We were all drunk off our gourds on all that fine beer and ale!
  14. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Heh! Just you wait for Brewday this year, if you're not on Public Test already! :D

Uwk
    Cassta likes this.
  15. ttobey Makes the Monsters Move

Always here. Just not on a Saturday.
  16. Geroblue Well-Known Member

'Tis Eye Captain Spaulding !
    Just back from a science fiction convention,
    Hurray ! Hurray !
  17. Hartay Keeper of the Server Hamsters

clockwork duck armor (mount) for tinkerfest 2024 pl0x?

[IMG]

Quackers needs some Gnomish Focusing Goggles to... uhh.. soar the skies better.
  18. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

And that is why we say:
    Hurray! Hurray!

"I'll do anything you say;
    In fact, I'll even stay!
    But, I must be going..." :D

Uwk
    a big fan of Da Bros. :)
    Cassta, Geroblue and Breanna like this.
  19. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

Next time you are looking for a dance to animate, LOL! /sturdy

I love this as child torture! ~~ "[F]ew things are more enjoyable than doing cringeworthy dad stuff to embarrass your kids. I mean, hey — if you refuse to do your chores, then I’ll get sturdy in front of your buddies. It’s that simple."
  20. ttobey Makes the Monsters Move

That would be a good one.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.